• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Can't install Virtual Machines Additions on VPC 2007 SP1 + WinXP S

R

RedRat

#1
When i start VirtualMachineAdditions.msi, it's running fine, but in the end
of process (without any message) it's rolling back the installation. I have
tried to run it with "/lxv* c:\log.txt /i" switches, but resulting 330-kB log
doesn't contain any clue. What can i do to solve this problem?

P.S. Both host and guest OS is WinXP SP3 (guest OS slightly stripped down by
nLite for fast install and run).
 
M

Mark Rae [MVP]

#2
"RedRat" <RedRat@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6F8F501A-DEBC-42EF-9EBD-3CD2F90629E8@xxxxxx

> When I start VirtualMachineAdditions.msi, it runs fine, but in the end
> of process (without any message) it rolls back the installation. I have
> tried to run it with "/lxv* c:\log.txt /i" switches, but resulting 330-kB
> log
> doesn't contain any clue. What can I do to solve this problem?
When you talk of the MSI, where have you got this from? Generally speaking,
all that is required to install the Additions on a supported Windows guest
is to use the VPC Console Action menu. This mounts the Additions virtual CD
which, in turn, autoruns and begins the installation process. If you have
downloaded the MSI from somewhere, are you absolutely certain that you
haven't downloaded a previous version, maybe for VPC 2004...?


--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP
http://www.markrae.net
 
R

RedRat

#3
Re: Can't install Virtual Machines Additions on VPC 2007 SP1 + Win

"Mark Rae [MVP]" wrote:

> When you talk of the MSI, where have you got this from?
From VMAdditions.iso in C:\Program Files\Virtual PC\Virtual Machine Additions\

> Generally speaking, all that is required to install the Additions on a supported
> Windows guest is to use the VPC Console Action menu. This mounts the
> Additions virtual CD which, in turn, autoruns and begins the installation process.
Yes, first time i run it this way. Later I copied MSI from the mounted CD to
the virtual HDD and tried to run it with different switches to reveal the
root of problem.
But even verbose logging not helps me. Everything seems OK, all files
installed in the right place, all registry keys are written, but in the end
of installation everything just rolled back. Without any error in the log.
Really weird behaviour... :-\

> If you have downloaded the MSI from somewhere, are you absolutely certain
> that you haven't downloaded a previous version, maybe for VPC 2004...?
Yes, I'm absolutly certain, because I'm using VPC 2007 SP1 only.

P.S. Is it possible to attach a part of log-file to the message? I'm beating
my head for two days, but can't find any clue... :-/

P.P.S. Excuse my English... ;-)
 
S

Steve Jain [MVP]

#4
On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 07:13:03 -0700, RedRat
<RedRat@xxxxxx> wrote:

>When i start VirtualMachineAdditions.msi, it's running fine, but in the end
>of process (without any message) it's rolling back the installation. I have
>tried to run it with "/lxv* c:\log.txt /i" switches, but resulting 330-kB log
>doesn't contain any clue. What can i do to solve this problem?
>
>P.S. Both host and guest OS is WinXP SP3 (guest OS slightly stripped down by
>nLite for fast install and run).
What happens when you just let the Additions ISO autostart? Or run
setup.exe?

It could be that nLite removed a piece of the OS that the VM Additions
need.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
http://vpc.essjae.com/
 
R

RedRat

#5
Re: Can't install Virtual Machines Additions on VPC 2007 SP1 + Win

"Steve Jain [MVP]" wrote:

> What happens when you just let the Additions ISO autostart? Or run
> setup.exe?
No matter, how i start the installation: by Autostart, by Setup.exe or by
"msiexec /i VMAdditions.iso", every time i got the same result - in the end
of installation everything is suddenly rolled back without any errors or
warnings. Even verbose log looks absolutely normal.

> It could be that nLite removed a piece of the OS that the VM Additions need.
Yes, indeed. But I made it for a times before, and have never encountered
this problem. Windows Installer and System Restore is up and running, all
permissions for registry and directories is right. Now i'm simply sorting out
different options in hope to find the right one. Maybe, you can give me a
hint, what i have to check first of all?
 
R

RedRat

#6
> When i start VirtualMachineAdditions.msi, it's running fine, but in the end

> of process (without any message) it's rolling back the installation. I have
> tried to run it with "/lxv* c:\log.txt /i" switches, but resulting 330-kB log
> doesn't contain any clue. What can i do to solve this problem?
As I can see, nobody has an idea? So pity... :-(
 
R

RedRat

#7
[SOLUTION]

Virtual Machines Additions needs MS Network Client to be installed. Even if
you have not network adapter.