Can't open links in Windows Mail

J

Janet

I click on a link in email and an message pops up with the link address in it
with "application not found" under it. I've tried changing the program access
and default settings but they won't change. I am using Windows Vista Home
Premium with Windows Mail.
 

My Computer

G

Gary VanderMolen

Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs.
Make sure it has Internet Explorer as the default web browser.

Gary VanderMolen


"Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I click on a link in email and an message pops up with the link address in it
> with "application not found" under it. I've tried changing the program access
> and default settings but they won't change. I am using Windows Vista Home
> Premium with Windows Mail.
 

My Computer

S

Steve Cochran

Do you get an error message when you attempt to set the default mail
program?

steve

"Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I click on a link in email and an message pops up with the link address in
>it
> with "application not found" under it. I've tried changing the program
> access
> and default settings but they won't change. I am using Windows Vista Home
> Premium with Windows Mail.
 

My Computer

J

Janet

No, no error message when attempting to set default. I followed Gary's advice
and the problem is now fixed but I'm left wondering why did it not change in
the default program's part?

Anyway, thanks guys, much appreciated

"Steve Cochran" wrote:

> Do you get an error message when you attempt to set the default mail
> program?
>
> steve
>
> "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >I click on a link in email and an message pops up with the link address in
> >it
> > with "application not found" under it. I've tried changing the program
> > access
> > and default settings but they won't change. I am using Windows Vista Home
> > Premium with Windows Mail.

>
>
>
 

My Computer

G

Gary VanderMolen

Glad you got it working. For those who missed it, Janet's issue was
fixed by: "Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs.
Make sure it has Internet Explorer as the default web browser."

Gary VanderMolen

"Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> No, no error message when attempting to set default. I followed Gary's advice
> and the problem is now fixed but I'm left wondering why did it not change in
> the default program's part?
>
> Anyway, thanks guys, much appreciated
>
> "Steve Cochran" wrote:
>
>> Do you get an error message when you attempt to set the default mail
>> program?
>>
>> steve
>>
>> "Janet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> >I click on a link in email and an message pops up with the link address in
>> >it
>> > with "application not found" under it. I've tried changing the program
>> > access
>> > and default settings but they won't change. I am using Windows Vista Home
>> > Premium with Windows Mail.

>>
>>
>>
 

My Computer

Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs.
Make sure it has Internet Explorer as the default web browser.

Gary VanderMolen



Did this and it worked- thanks Gary.

Incidentally the default was changed because Firefox was installed without me asking when I accepted an upgrade from Real Player. I uninstalled Firefox but I hadn't realised that it must have removed IE as the default browser.

I only use Real Player under protest because it's required to view video content from the BBC website - you have been warned!!

:)
 

My Computer

G

Gary VanderMolen

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]


"berkshire_yorkie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

>
> -Go to Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs.-
> -Make sure it has Internet Explorer as the default web browser.-
>
> -Gary VanderMolen-
>
>
>
> Did this and it worked- thanks Gary.
>
> Incidentally the default was changed because Firefox was installed
> without me asking when I accepted an upgrade from Real Player. I
> uninstalled Firefox but I hadn't realised that it must have removed IE
> as the default browser.
>
> I only use Real Player under protest because it's required to view
> video content from the BBC website - you have been warned!!
>
> :)
>
>
> --
> berkshire_yorkie
 

My Computer

Top