• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Changing RAM

P

pvdg42

#1
I have a PC running Vista Ultimate (32 bit) w/ 4 Gig of memory. As I have a
second box running Vista for testing beta products (Orcas at the moment)
that runs fine on 2 Gig, I'm considering removing 2 Gig from the first box
for use elsewhere.
Will Vista notice and want to be reactivated?
FWIW, I know the correct answer is "try it and see", but I thought somebody
here might have changed memory configuration and could tell me what to
expect.
Thanks.
 
M

Mike Hall MVP

#2
I have added and removed RAM without incident.. try it and see.. :-)


"pvdg42" <pvdg42@newsgroups.nospam> wrote in message
news:uZsED2ZkHHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I have a PC running Vista Ultimate (32 bit) w/ 4 Gig of memory. As I have a
>second box running Vista for testing beta products (Orcas at the moment)
>that runs fine on 2 Gig, I'm considering removing 2 Gig from the first box
>for use elsewhere.
> Will Vista notice and want to be reactivated?
> FWIW, I know the correct answer is "try it and see", but I thought
> somebody here might have changed memory configuration and could tell me
> what to expect.
> Thanks.
>


--


Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/
 
P

pvdg42

#3
"Mike Hall MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eSe%234HakHHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I have added and removed RAM without incident.. try it and see.. :-)
>

Thanks, Mike! I appreciate the info.
 
V

voodoo

#4
"pvdg42" wrote:

> I have a PC running Vista Ultimate (32 bit) w/ 4 Gig of memory. As I have a
> second box running Vista for testing beta products (Orcas at the moment)
> that runs fine on 2 Gig, I'm considering removing 2 Gig from the first box
> for use elsewhere.
> Will Vista notice and want to be reactivated?
> FWIW, I know the correct answer is "try it and see", but I thought somebody
> here might have changed memory configuration and could tell me what to
> expect.
> Thanks.
>
>
>
 
V

voodoo

#5
I have Ultimate & went from 2gb of corsair to 4gb. I didn't need to
reactivate but the welcome center screen that appears on startup, only
recognizes that I have 3.50 gb of ram

"pvdg42" wrote:

> I have a PC running Vista Ultimate (32 bit) w/ 4 Gig of memory. As I have a
> second box running Vista for testing beta products (Orcas at the moment)
> that runs fine on 2 Gig, I'm considering removing 2 Gig from the first box
> for use elsewhere.
> Will Vista notice and want to be reactivated?
> FWIW, I know the correct answer is "try it and see", but I thought somebody
> here might have changed memory configuration and could tell me what to
> expect.
> Thanks.
>
>
>
 
P

pvdg42

#6
"Mike Hall MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:eSe%234HakHHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>I have added and removed RAM without incident.. try it and see.. :-)
>
>

Worked fine with no reactivation as you said, Mike. Thanks again.
 
P

pvdg42

#7
"voodoo" <voodoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3C99C019-ED74-4BD3-A226-F7BEB7325812@microsoft.com...
>I have Ultimate & went from 2gb of corsair to 4gb. I didn't need to
> reactivate but the welcome center screen that appears on startup, only
> recognizes that I have 3.50 gb of ram
>

The reading of 3.5 Gig is as expected for 32 bit Windows as part of the
total address space is being used by the system. The 3.5 is what's available
to you.