• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Connecting Vista and XP

C

Chandramouly

#1
Recently bought a Vaio laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have
office laptop running on XP SP2. I'm trying to connect these two laptops but
I encounter problems in connecting the two. Read through the following
details -

I'm connecting the two laptops directly using a normal ethernet cable
(should I necessarily need to use cross over cable for a direct connection?)
I have updated the XP laptop with LLTD protocol as suggested elsewhere in
this discussion forum.
I'm using the same Workgroup name at both machines.
In Vista, I have -
Network Discovery: ON
Network type set to Private
Media sharing:ON
File Sharing: ON
Public Folder Sharing: ON
Password Protected: OFF

I have created same user ID and pwd at both the machines ( but not logged in
either).
The XP computer shows up in my Vista network map but is not available for
double click etc. The XP doesnt even show the Vista (when I double click the
workgroup in my network places, it gives access permission error). The public
folder in Vista is shared to 'everyone';
I use windows firewall at both machine and no additional firewall
application has been installed. I haven't tried connecting the two turning
off the firewall.

Not sure where I'm going wrong? is it the network cable itself? if not the
cross over cable should I necessarily connect through a router?

I haven't tried the wireless networking option.

Suggestion and advice would be much appreciated
 

My Computer

C

Chandra

#2
Thanks Mick.

I'm trying the wireless connection between the vista and XP.

I did go through the vista sharing section and did as per instruction. My
public folder in vista is shared to everyone and also specifically shared
another folder directly to 'everyone'. However I was not able to share the
folder exclusively to the common user account (dont know why).

I did the sharing of folders in XP as well but still no improvements. I see
the XP in the network map (wireless) in vista but remains unclickable. I'm
not able to see vista in XP. When I go to the network places in XP, the
workgroup gets listed but on double click, it says something about access
permission. Also I' not able to ping either of the computer from each other.

Should I switch off the firewall and try? but is that the issue? because
since i'm not even able to ping the two machines, I doubt if firewall would
be an issue.

Is there any step i'm missing or doing incorrectly?

Also "run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard", how do i
do this? is this the network setup wizard? I presume this wizard is only for
wired connection.


"Mick Murphy" wrote:

> If you are just trying to hook the 2 together, definitely crossover cable,
> not patch!!
>
> And, run the XP's File and Printer home Network sharing wizard, so it will
> share files with vista.
>
> I have not turned my firewalls off.
>
> I see that you have done what I have written below, but read the password bit
>
> A router is a great way to go, but you still need all of these settings to
> be done!!!
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
>
> Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>
> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
> the SAME.
>
> In Vista Network and Sharing:
>
> Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
>
> Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
>
> File Sharing: ON
>
> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
> Docs)
>
> Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
> from an XP computer.
>
> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>
>
> "Chandramouly" wrote:
>

> > Recently bought a Vaio laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have
> > office laptop running on XP SP2. I'm trying to connect these two laptops but
> > I encounter problems in connecting the two. Read through the following
> > details -
> >
> > I'm connecting the two laptops directly using a normal ethernet cable
> > (should I necessarily need to use cross over cable for a direct connection?)
> > I have updated the XP laptop with LLTD protocol as suggested elsewhere in
> > this discussion forum.
> > I'm using the same Workgroup name at both machines.
> > In Vista, I have -
> > Network Discovery: ON
> > Network type set to Private
> > Media sharing:ON
> > File Sharing: ON
> > Public Folder Sharing: ON
> > Password Protected: OFF
> >
> > I have created same user ID and pwd at both the machines ( but not logged in
> > either).
> > The XP computer shows up in my Vista network map but is not available for
> > double click etc. The XP doesnt even show the Vista (when I double click the
> > workgroup in my network places, it gives access permission error). The public
> > folder in Vista is shared to 'everyone';
> > I use windows firewall at both machine and no additional firewall
> > application has been installed. I haven't tried connecting the two turning
> > off the firewall.
> >
> > Not sure where I'm going wrong? is it the network cable itself? if not the
> > cross over cable should I necessarily connect through a router?
> >
> > I haven't tried the wireless networking option.
> >
> > Suggestion and advice would be much appreciated
 

My Computer

C

Chuck [MVP]

#3
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 13:14:00 -0800, Chandra <Chandra@xxxxxx>
wrote:

>"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:59:01 -0800, Chandra <Chandra@xxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Mick Murphy" wrote:
>> >
>> >> If you are just trying to hook the 2 together, definitely crossover cable,
>> >> not patch!!
>> >>
>> >> And, run the XP's File and Printer home Network sharing wizard, so it will
>> >> share files with vista.
>> >>
>> >> I have not turned my firewalls off.
>> >>
>> >> I see that you have done what I have written below, but read the password bit
>> >>
>> >> A router is a great way to go, but you still need all of these settings to
>> >> be done!!!
>> >>
>> >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
>> >>
>> >> Have a read of the above link re Vista File and Printer Sharing.
>> >> How to give Permissions are there, too.
>> >>
>> >> 1st thing to do is make sure that the Workgroup Name of ALL the computers is
>> >> the SAME.
>> >>
>> >> In Vista Network and Sharing:
>> >>
>> >> Network Discovery: ON (So it can see the other computers)
>> >>
>> >> Network set to Private (Public is for hotspots, airports, etc)
>> >>
>> >> File Sharing: ON
>> >>
>> >> Public Folder Sharing: ON (Vista’s Public Folder is the same as XP’s Shared
>> >> Docs)
>> >>
>> >> Password Protected: OFF (unless you want to set up identical usernames and
>> >> passwords on ALL computers in your Network) If you have it ON, you will be
>> >> asked for a username and password when you try to access a Vista computer
>> >> from an XP computer.
>> >>
>> >> Also, run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "Chandramouly" wrote:
>> >>
>> >> > Recently bought a Vaio laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have
>> >> > office laptop running on XP SP2. I'm trying to connect these two laptops but
>> >> > I encounter problems in connecting the two. Read through the following
>> >> > details -
>> >> >
>> >> > I'm connecting the two laptops directly using a normal ethernet cable
>> >> > (should I necessarily need to use cross over cable for a direct connection?)
>> >> > I have updated the XP laptop with LLTD protocol as suggested elsewhere in
>> >> > this discussion forum.
>> >> > I'm using the same Workgroup name at both machines.
>> >> > In Vista, I have -
>> >> > Network Discovery: ON
>> >> > Network type set to Private
>> >> > Media sharing:ON
>> >> > File Sharing: ON
>> >> > Public Folder Sharing: ON
>> >> > Password Protected: OFF
>> >> >
>> >> > I have created same user ID and pwd at both the machines ( but not logged in
>> >> > either).
>> >> > The XP computer shows up in my Vista network map but is not available for
>> >> > double click etc. The XP doesnt even show the Vista (when I double click the
>> >> > workgroup in my network places, it gives access permission error). The public
>> >> > folder in Vista is shared to 'everyone';
>> >> > I use windows firewall at both machine and no additional firewall
>> >> > application has been installed. I haven't tried connecting the two turning
>> >> > off the firewall.
>> >> >
>> >> > Not sure where I'm going wrong? is it the network cable itself? if not the
>> >> > cross over cable should I necessarily connect through a router?
>> >> >
>> >> > I haven't tried the wireless networking option.
>> >> >
>> >> > Suggestion and advice would be much appreciated
>>

>> >Thanks Mick.
>> >
>> >I'm trying the wireless connection between the vista and XP.
>> >
>> >I did go through the vista sharing section and did as per instruction. My
>> >public folder in vista is shared to everyone and also specifically shared
>> >another folder directly to 'everyone'. However I was not able to share the
>> >folder exclusively to the common user account (dont know why).
>> >
>> >I did the sharing of folders in XP as well but still no improvements. I see
>> >the XP in the network map (wireless) in vista but remains unclickable. I'm
>> >not able to see vista in XP. When I go to the network places in XP, the
>> >workgroup gets listed but on double click, it says something about access
>> >permission. Also I' not able to ping either of the computer from each other.
>> >
>> >Should I switch off the firewall and try? but is that the issue? because
>> >since i'm not even able to ping the two machines, I doubt if firewall would
>> >be an issue.
>> >
>> >Is there any step i'm missing or doing incorrectly?
>> >
>> >Also "run the XP’s Home Network File and Printer sharing Wizard", how do i
>> >do this? is this the network setup wizard? I presume this wizard is only for
>> >wired connection.
>>
>> Chandra,
>>
>> The Windows XP Network Setup Wizard sets up file and printer sharing on a given
>> computer. It's used for both Ethernet and WiFi connectivity.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-network-setup-wizard-in-windows.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-network-setup-wizard-in-windows.html
>>
>> You will possibly need a cross-over Ethernet cable to connect between the 2
>> computers, though much modern equipment has eliminated this.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/connecting-two-computers-with.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/connecting-two-computers-with.html
>>
>> Switching off the firewall on each is a good start, for diagnostics. If you
>> were going to make a long term connection, you would want to configure the
>> firewall properly. But start with the firewall, then look for other security
>> programs, if necessary.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html

>Thanks Chuck for the links.
>
>Ok, I dont want to go the crossover cable route as I need to connect the two
>computers only once, just to transfer files. I only need to transfer files
>from the XP to Vista. So I will keep the crossover cable as last option. I
>want to see if I can connect the two wirelessly. Is that an option?
>Connecting the XP and Vista wirelessly and transfer files. All the materials
>I went through talk about connecting the second computer wirelessly for
>Internet connection sharing. I dont want that. Internet connection is not an
>issue. I just want to transfer files from my old XP to my vista. My internet
>connection is thru a DSL and I have a wireless router/gateway. Both the
>laptops are equipped with wireless adapters. XP doesnt have a bluetooth
>adapter.
>
>With these background, what are the options available to me?
>
>I did a wired connection of my vista and setup a wireless connection to
>which I was able to connect my XP wirelessly. After this I was able to
>connect to the internet wirelessly from XP. This I guess is sharing the
>internet connection all the article talk about. With this setup will I be
>able to transfer or share files between the two? I was not able to. But not
>sure if I did the setup correctly for this kind of sharing. Before that I
>want to know if this is a right way to go. If not, I can try the crossover
>cable option or simply buy a USB external hard drive.
Chandra,

If you have both computers connected to the Internet, behind a router, then you
have connectivity already. Just setup sharing from there. With Windows XP,
just run the Network Setup Wizard, and select
"This computer connects to the Internet through another computer on my network
or through a residential gateway."
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-network-setup-wizard-in-windows.html#NATClient>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/using-network-setup-wizard-in-windows.html#NATClient

With Windows Vista, use Network and indicate a Private network connection.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#VistaServer>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html#VistaServer

Then setup sharing permissions.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html

What's the volume of the files? You could, alternatively, use a USB flash
drive, if the volume is low enough.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2007 [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)