Desktop Layout with Remote Login (RDC) ?

B

+Bob+

Is there a different user "profile" used when I log in through Remote
Desktop COnnection?

I get the right Icons, but the actual desktop layout for the user's
local login is ignored.

Is there a reg key I could copy from the local user's login to his
remote login?

(win2003, workgroup, no domains or A/D, just a straight user/pass
login)
 

My Computer

D

Dusko Savatovic

In the RDC, click options.
Click 'Experience' tab.
Under 'Choose your connection speed...', choose 'LAN (10 Mbps or higher)'



"+Bob+" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Is there a different user "profile" used when I log in through Remote
> Desktop COnnection?
>
> I get the right Icons, but the actual desktop layout for the user's
> local login is ignored.
>
> Is there a reg key I could copy from the local user's login to his
> remote login?
>
> (win2003, workgroup, no domains or A/D, just a straight user/pass
> login)
 

My Computer

B

+Bob+

On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:07:56 +0200, "Dusko Savatovic"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In the RDC, click options.
>Click 'Experience' tab.
>Under 'Choose your connection speed...', choose 'LAN (10 Mbps or higher)'
>
>
Umm.... that is set, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I get all
features, it's just that the Desktop Layout is thrashed (icons all
sorted to order by name instead of arranged the way the user has them
with a local login).
 

My Computer

D

Dave Patrick

By default you connect with terminal server session. To connect to console
session you can use the /console switch.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775475(WS.10).aspx



--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"+Bob+" wrote:

> Umm.... that is set, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. I get all
> features, it's just that the Desktop Layout is thrashed (icons all
> sorted to order by name instead of arranged the way the user has them
> with a local login).
 

My Computer

B

+Bob+

On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:56:59 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>By default you connect with terminal server session. To connect to console
>session you can use the /console switch.
>
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775475(WS.10).aspx
Dave:

Tried that, same results. I can even customize the desktop layout in
the remote session and it sticks... but it's not the same desktop I
get when I am physically at the server logging in.

Any idea where it's storing the desktop config for both logins ? I'd
settle for being able to manually copy the desktop from the local
login to whatever it is using for the remote login if I knew where
they were both stored.
 

My Computer

D

Dave Patrick

Would have thought the console session would do it. I actually like the
"feetchur" because occasionally I remote into my workstation from a machine
or laptop with a lesser resolution capability and it doesn't destroy my
desktop arrangement back at console.



--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"+Bob+" wrote:

> Dave:
>
> Tried that, same results. I can even customize the desktop layout in
> the remote session and it sticks... but it's not the same desktop I
> get when I am physically at the server logging in.
>
> Any idea where it's storing the desktop config for both logins ? I'd
> settle for being able to manually copy the desktop from the local
> login to whatever it is using for the remote login if I knew where
> they were both stored.
 

My Computer

B

+Bob+

On Mon, 24 May 2010 18:24:26 -0600, "Dave Patrick"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Would have thought the console session would do it. I actually like the
>"feetchur" because occasionally I remote into my workstation from a machine
>or laptop with a lesser resolution capability and it doesn't destroy my
>desktop arrangement back at console.
I don't have an issue with it... I'd just like to be able to clone my
local desktop to the remote.

Do you know where they store the local settings for the desktop icon
arrangement? That would be a start to hunting down the proper key.

Thanks,
 

My Computer

D

Dave Patrick

Looks to be a combination of session directory and session directory
database.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755399(WS.10).aspx



--

Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"+Bob+" wrote:

> I don't have an issue with it... I'd just like to be able to clone my
> local desktop to the remote.
>
> Do you know where they store the local settings for the desktop icon
> arrangement? That would be a start to hunting down the proper key.
>
> Thanks,
 

My Computer

Top