• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Disk cleanup - System error memory dump files

G

Guest

#1
Is there something useful to do with System error
memory dump files, or can I safely tell Disk Cleanup
to delete them?

Robert Miles
 

My Computer

J

Jeff Richards

#2
Unless you are attempting to diagnose the cause of the problem, it is safe
to let disk cleanup delete these files.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
<robertmiles@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23R1nXEoCKHA.3556@xxxxxx

> Is there something useful to do with System error
> memory dump files, or can I safely tell Disk Cleanup
> to delete them?
>
> Robert Miles
>
 

My Computer

R

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

#3
As Jeff said. *AND* Make a note of the disk space shown for WER logs in the
Disk Cleanup window. See:

Serious Disk Cleanup Problem in Windows caused by Broken Registration - The
Winhelponline Blog:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/serious-disk-cleanup-problem-caused-by-broken-registration/

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supporting Windows® 7, Vista & XP http://www.winhelponline.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


<robertmiles@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23R1nXEoCKHA.3556@xxxxxx

> Is there something useful to do with System error
> memory dump files, or can I safely tell Disk Cleanup
> to delete them?
>
> Robert Miles
>
 

My Computer

G

Guest

#4
"Jeff Richards" <JRichards@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23oCbxSoCKHA.4168@xxxxxx

> Unless you are attempting to diagnose the cause of the problem, it is safe
> to let disk cleanup delete these files.
> --
> Jeff Richards
> MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> <robertmiles@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:%23R1nXEoCKHA.3556@xxxxxx

>> Is there something useful to do with System error
>> memory dump files, or can I safely tell Disk Cleanup
>> to delete them?
>>
>> Robert Miles
>>
>
Looks like I deleted then too soon - after I deleted them, a function
for sending error reports to Microsoft was unable to send error
reports for some recent problems in a search function because it
couldn't find the appropriate files.

I couldn't diagnose the cause of the problem myself, but would
like to have Microsoft do it for me.

Robert Miles
 

My Computer

G

Guest

#5
"Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:OF72kA1CKHA.4392@xxxxxx

> As Jeff said. *AND* Make a note of the disk space shown for WER logs in
> the Disk Cleanup window. See:
>
> Serious Disk Cleanup Problem in Windows caused by Broken Registration -
> The Winhelponline Blog:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/serious-disk-cleanup-problem-caused-by-broken-registration/
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Supporting Windows® 7, Vista & XP http://www.winhelponline.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> <robertmiles@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:%23R1nXEoCKHA.3556@xxxxxx

>> Is there something useful to do with System error
>> memory dump files, or can I safely tell Disk Cleanup
>> to delete them?
>>
>> Robert Miles
>>
>
What are WER logs? I don't remember even seeing them mentioned
in my Disk Cleanup window.

Robert Miles
 

My Computer

R

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

#6
WER = Windows Error Reporting

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supporting Windows® 7, Vista & XP http://www.winhelponline.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


<robertmiles@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:OG1Ah1xEKHA.4280@xxxxxx

> "Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP" <ramesh@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:OF72kA1CKHA.4392@xxxxxx

>> As Jeff said. *AND* Make a note of the disk space shown for WER logs in
>> the Disk Cleanup window. See:
>>
>> Serious Disk Cleanup Problem in Windows caused by Broken Registration -
>> The Winhelponline Blog:
>> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/serious-disk-cleanup-problem-caused-by-broken-registration/
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Supporting Windows® 7, Vista & XP http://www.winhelponline.com
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>>
>> <robertmiles@xxxxxx> wrote in message
>> news:%23R1nXEoCKHA.3556@xxxxxx

>>> Is there something useful to do with System error
>>> memory dump files, or can I safely tell Disk Cleanup
>>> to delete them?
>>>
>>> Robert Miles
>>>
>>
> What are WER logs? I don't remember even seeing them mentioned
> in my Disk Cleanup window.
>
> Robert Miles
>
>
 

My Computer

J

Jeff Richards

#7
<robertmiles@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:eqwu5zxEKHA.1488@xxxxxx

> snip <
> Looks like I deleted then too soon - after I deleted them, a function
> for sending error reports to Microsoft was unable to send error
> reports for some recent problems in a search function because it
> couldn't find the appropriate files.
>
> I couldn't diagnose the cause of the problem myself, but would
> like to have Microsoft do it for me.
>
> Robert Miles
That's not worth worrying about. If the problem is one that MS is likely to
look at, then it's going to happen again. You can delete these error reports
(if they aren't already gone) in Control Panel \ System & Maintenance \
Problem Reports & Solutions \ See Problems to Check. Right-click and choose
Delete.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)