• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

DLLHOST.EXE repeated pop-up "DOS" window

S
#1
Hi.
I am trying to sort out someone's Vista Home Basic laptop. When I open
control panel, or browse certain folders, I get a background command prompt
window pop up briefly then close. This happens repeatedly for a few minutes
then eventually stops. I was wondering if it is something to do with file
indexing? Whatever is causing it is rather annoying for the laptop's owner!
The "DOS" window has the title c:\windows\system32\dllhost.exe and the main
window is empty.
Any ideas what is going on?
I'm a bit of a Vista newbie and am also having to battle with the fact that
the laptop is running Czech language, which I don't speak! Am I right in
believing I can't put Vista into full English if it is a Czech version?
Many thanks for any help.
 

My Computer

M

Mark L. Ferguson

#2
Right, Windows comes in language versions and you would need to install the
English version to change everything. Home Edition will not use the 'MUI'
language packs, so the best it can do is what is available in the Regional
settings in control panel.
Actually, those dos windows seem to indicate an attempt at using one of the
MUI, and it would need to be removed.

--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#RateAPostAsAnswer
Mark L. Ferguson
..

"stuh" <stuart.hussey@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:D1727983-AB77-4B6D-9A13-4961D7CAC8AE@xxxxxx

> Hi.
> I am trying to sort out someone's Vista Home Basic laptop. When I open
> control panel, or browse certain folders, I get a background command
> prompt
> window pop up briefly then close. This happens repeatedly for a few
> minutes
> then eventually stops. I was wondering if it is something to do with file
> indexing? Whatever is causing it is rather annoying for the laptop's
> owner!
> The "DOS" window has the title c:\windows\system32\dllhost.exe and the
> main
> window is empty.
> Any ideas what is going on?
> I'm a bit of a Vista newbie and am also having to battle with the fact
> that
> the laptop is running Czech language, which I don't speak! Am I right in
> believing I can't put Vista into full English if it is a Czech version?
> Many thanks for any help.
 

My Computer

S
#3
Thanks for that info. You say that one of the MUIs may have been used and
would therefore have to removed....... how would I know if it had been used
and how would I remove it?
The DOS windows don't just seem to happen when exploring and hence viewing
new folders. I had some opening and closing today when I wasn't doing
anything. Would using any of the Sysinternals tools help me to find out what
is prompting the DLLHOST.EXE window to pop-up in the first place? I have had
a brief play with process monitor and can see dllhost.exe being called but
don't really know what to do next. A little information is a dangerous thing
maybe!?!
Thanks again.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Right, Windows comes in language versions and you would need to install the
> English version to change everything. Home Edition will not use the 'MUI'
> language packs, so the best it can do is what is available in the Regional
> settings in control panel.
> Actually, those dos windows seem to indicate an attempt at using one of the
> MUI, and it would need to be removed.
>
> --
> Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
> interface.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#RateAPostAsAnswer
> Mark L. Ferguson
> .
>
> "stuh" <stuart.hussey@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:D1727983-AB77-4B6D-9A13-4961D7CAC8AE@xxxxxx

> > Hi.
> > I am trying to sort out someone's Vista Home Basic laptop. When I open
> > control panel, or browse certain folders, I get a background command
> > prompt
> > window pop up briefly then close. This happens repeatedly for a few
> > minutes
> > then eventually stops. I was wondering if it is something to do with file
> > indexing? Whatever is causing it is rather annoying for the laptop's
> > owner!
> > The "DOS" window has the title c:\windows\system32\dllhost.exe and the
> > main
> > window is empty.
> > Any ideas what is going on?
> > I'm a bit of a Vista newbie and am also having to battle with the fact
> > that
> > the laptop is running Czech language, which I don't speak! Am I right in
> > believing I can't put Vista into full English if it is a Czech version?
> > Many thanks for any help.
>
 

My Computer