• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do I need a "Recovery (D)" Partition?

J

Jim In Minneapolis

#1
I just noticed that my desktop (Dell Inspiron) DOES have a separate hard
drive partition labeled "RECOVERY (D)" -- about 10 MB in size.

What's that all about? Do I need it?

ALSO . . . I noticed that my laptop (Dell Dimension) does NOT have any
"RECOVERY (D)" partition . . . only an "OC (C)" partition.

Is that bad not to have a "Recovery" partition?

If it is, then would some kind soul please tell me how to add it?

Thanks.
 

My Computer

J

John Inzer

#2
Jim In Minneapolis wrote:

> I just noticed that my desktop (Dell Inspiron) DOES have a separate
> hard drive partition labeled "RECOVERY (D)" -- about 10 MB in size.
>
> What's that all about? Do I need it?
>
> ALSO . . . I noticed that my laptop (Dell Dimension) does NOT have any
> "RECOVERY (D)" partition . . . only an "OC (C)" partition.
>
> Is that bad not to have a "Recovery" partition?
>
> If it is, then would some kind soul please tell me how to add it?
>
> Thanks.
====================================
I suspect you meant to say your recovery partition
is 10 GB? And yes if your system ever becomes
corrupted you will find it to be very worthwhile.

The files on the recovery partition will revert your
system to what is commonly referred to as "Out
of the box" All of your personal files and settings
would be gone. IOW...the system will be exactly
as it was the first time you turned on the computer.

The following article is about an HP system but
even still should help explain what a recovery
partition is.

HP Recovery From Partition
http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp-recovery.htm

For the best protection IMHO...a product like
"Acronis True Image Home 2009" would be worth
a look. This software allows the user to create an
image of the complete hard drive that can be
restored quickly if the need arises.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 

My Computer

J

Jim In Minneapolis

#3
So, if I have my "system restore" CDs for that PC from Dell which came with
it, then the "RECOVERY" partition is redundant? (i.e. - duplicate function,
not necessar, can be deleted with no loss to me?)


"Paul Montgomery" wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 21:20:00 -0700, Jim In Minneapolis
> <JimInMinneapolis@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

> >I just noticed that my desktop (Dell Inspiron) DOES have a separate hard
> >drive partition labeled "RECOVERY (D)" -- about 10 MB in size.
> >
> >What's that all about? Do I need it?
>
> You might if Windows ever gets trashed so badly that you can't fix it
> any other way. Dell put that there rather than give you a recovery
> DVD (look at the discs that came with the machine to make sure). When
> you start your machine, you see prompts at the bottom (maybe the top)
> of your screen telling you the options you have - using the "F" keys.
>
> There SHOULD be a way for you to create a recovery DVD - from within
> Windows - using the material in that partition. LOOK FOR IT and DO
> that.
>

> >ALSO . . . I noticed that my laptop (Dell Dimension) does NOT have any
> >"RECOVERY (D)" partition . . . only an "OC (C)" partition.
> >
> >Is that bad not to have a "Recovery" partition?
>
> NO.. it means that you GOT the recovery media on a disc. Check your
> discs to make sure. Note: the disc for that machine will NOT work
> with the other one.
>

> >If it is, then would some kind soul please tell me how to add it?
>
> Only the manufacturer can do that. YOU can make a DVD from it.
> Again... look for the instructions on how to do that before it's too
> late.
>
 

My Computer

J

Jim In Minneapolis

#4
Thanks for your suggestions . . . .

What if I already have the 'system restore" CDs that came from Dell with the
PC (operating system, etc.) -- can I delete the "Partition D" without any
loss? Does it just do the same thing as those discs?

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Jim In Minneapolis wrote:

> > I just noticed that my desktop (Dell Inspiron) DOES have a separate
> > hard drive partition labeled "RECOVERY (D)" -- about 10 MB in size.
> >
> > What's that all about? Do I need it?
> >
> > ALSO . . . I noticed that my laptop (Dell Dimension) does NOT have any
> > "RECOVERY (D)" partition . . . only an "OC (C)" partition.
> >
> > Is that bad not to have a "Recovery" partition?
> >
> > If it is, then would some kind soul please tell me how to add it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> ====================================
> I suspect you meant to say your recovery partition
> is 10 GB? And yes if your system ever becomes
> corrupted you will find it to be very worthwhile.
>
> The files on the recovery partition will revert your
> system to what is commonly referred to as "Out
> of the box" All of your personal files and settings
> would be gone. IOW...the system will be exactly
> as it was the first time you turned on the computer.
>
> The following article is about an HP system but
> even still should help explain what a recovery
> partition is.
>
> HP Recovery From Partition
> http://www.pctechbytes.com/hp-recovery.htm
>
> For the best protection IMHO...a product like
> "Acronis True Image Home 2009" would be worth
> a look. This software allows the user to create an
> image of the complete hard drive that can be
> restored quickly if the need arises.
>
> --
>
> John Inzer MS-MVP
> Digital Media Experience
>
> Notice
> This is not tech support
> I am a volunteer
>
> Solutions that work for
> me may not work for you
>
> Proceed at your own risk
>
>
>
 

My Computer

#5
Its the same as the discs you have so you can delete it and you will gain the extra space on you hard drive.
 

My Computer

System One

  • Manufacturer/Model
    HP Compaq Presario/SR5113WM
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N68-LA
    Memory
    PNY Optima Memory DDR2 2GB 2x1 kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB
    Sound Card
    On board RealTek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X163W LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 160 GB SATA 3G (3.0Gb/sec)
    7200 rpm
    Western Digital 160 GB IDE
    PSU
    Dynex 400w
    Case
    Nothin Special
    Cooling
    Stock
    Mouse
    Wireless Logitech LX7
    Keyboard
    Standard 102 key with volume and sleep buttons
    Internet Speed
    Comcrap 10mb cable
    Other Info
    Insignia 2.1 speakers, wireless Xbox 360 controller w/plug n play charger, Belkin wireless G + mimo usb network adapter.

Barman58

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
#7
Ok. Thanks for the advice.

"mansrm81" wrote:

>
> Its the same as the discs you have so you can delete it and you will
> gain the extra space on you hard drive.
>
>
> --
> mansrm81
>
> If you think I helped you fix your problem give me some rep :D. Click on
> the scales. [image:
> http://www.vistax64.com/members/mansrm81-albums-asdf-picture192-untitled.jpg]
>
Hi all,

would just like to add a word of caution :), Dell have recently been providing Full vista install disks in addition To the recovery partition, on some systems, so the disks and recovery partition may be different, may be worth checking Dell documentation before anything is deleted.
 

My Computer

System One

  • Show second system?
    No
    Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 1709 Fall Creators Update
    Manufacturer/Model
    Real World Computers (Custom by Me)
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 Vishera 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    2 x 1920x1080 @50Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial CT256MX100SSD1 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

    External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

    NAS 4TB +1TB
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Red Devil Tower
    Cooling
    Hyper103 CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Mouse
    Wireless Logitec - MX Master + M570 Trackball
    Keyboard
    Wireless Logitec MK710 + K270
    Internet Speed
    37.8MB Down 9.5 MB Up
    Other Info
    Six Sensor Auto / Manual Digital cooling (Fan) control
J

John Inzer

#8
Jim In Minneapolis wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestions . . . .
>
> What if I already have the 'system restore" CDs that came from Dell
> with the PC (operating system, etc.) -- can I delete the "Partition
> D" without any loss? Does it just do the same thing as those discs?
====================================
I suspect the system restore CDs and the recovery
recovery partition are the same but would check
with Dell to be sure.

--

John Inzer MS-MVP
Digital Media Experience

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk
 

My Computer