• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Do I need Acer GAIA on startup?

In msconfig>startup, I notice that Acer GAIA AppInRun is a startup item. Do I really need this and if not, should I uncheck it? Just trying to optomize things. I am running desktop, not a laptop.

pooch

Old Dog
Vista Guru
In msconfig>startup, I notice that Acer GAIA AppInRun is a startup item. Do I really need this and if not, should I uncheck it? Just trying to optomize things. I am running desktop, not a laptop.
Hi flycaster,

Yes you can safely turn this off in fact most startup programs are not needed. See my list.

Ps. if you only uncheck the items and then find that something was needed then all you have to do is recheck it

I hope this helps

Pooch

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hello Flycaster,

That is for the alaunch.exe file which is a process that is bundled with Acer laptops and provides additional diagnostic functions for your laptop. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems. It may be required for essential Acer applications that are still installed to work properly. You can disable it as a test to see if anything else needed it or not.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

google any program you don't recognize on start up list. Lots of info and advices what to do with it available online. Hint: security programs should start with start up (anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-ads etc) and wireless network assistants. Most anything else (sidebar, messengers, games, java) need not start with start up and can be unchecked and re-checked if needeed.

Each time you tweak msconfig, you need to re-start to see the changes.

Thanks all. Yeah, I usually have very few progs in my start up (3), but this Acer one kept popping up. It's been deleted as I have only a desktop computer.