• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Do I need to move License/Product Keys to a new computer?

T

Teesang

#1
Hello all.

I hope someone can help me understand restrictions (if any) I need to
consider before purchasing my new computer and moving Vista over to it.

I've searched the Internet and I can't seem to find a solid answer on this
issue.

I purchased Vista Ultimate a couple of months ago. Recently, I've decided
it's time for a new computer system. I do not purchase name brand computers.
I custom make mine. So basically I will be buying a new motherboard, case,
video card etc etc and building a new machine.

My concern is how to transfer my product key or license, or if I even need
to do so?

Can I just build the new computer and then insert my Vista Ultimate DVD and
install as normal? Or do I need to "remove" or "deactivate" the
license/product key from my old computer first? I just don't want to run
into issues when installing or activating Vista on the new machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)
 

My Computer

Bare Foot Kid

R.I.P. August 13th 2014
Messages
2,616
Location
The Lowcountry
#2
First is your copy OEM or RETAIL, It matters!
 

My Computer

System One

  • Manufacturer/Model
    * BFK Customs *
    CPU
    Intel C2Q 9550 Yorkfield
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5Q Pro
    Memory
    8GB Dominator 8500C5D
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX ATI 1GB 4870 XXX
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7-1
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1x 47" LCD HDMI & 2x 26" LCD HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080P & 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x 500GB 7200RPM 32MB Cache WD Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX
    Case
    CM Cosmos RC-1000
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120, 2x 140mm and 3x 120mm case fans
    Mouse
    Razer Diamondback 3G
    Keyboard
    HP Enhansed Multimedia
    Internet Speed
    18.6Mb/s
    Other Info
    My First Build ;)
K

Ken Blake, MVP

#3
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:43:00 -0800, Teesang
<Teesang@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I purchased Vista Ultimate a couple of months ago. Recently, I've decided
> it's time for a new computer system. I do not purchase name brand computers.
> I custom make mine. So basically I will be buying a new motherboard, case,
> video card etc etc and building a new machine.
>
> My concern is how to transfer my product key or license, or if I even need
> to do so?
>
> Can I just build the new computer and then insert my Vista Ultimate DVD and
> install as normal? Or do I need to "remove" or "deactivate" the
> license/product key from my old computer first?

There is no such thing as "deactivation," nor is there any need to do
so. The answer to your question depends on whether you bought a retail
copy of Vista or an OEM one. If it's a retail one, there is no
problem--just install and activate normally (worst case, you might be
prompted to activate by a quick and easy voice call to an 800 number).

But if you bought one of the cheaper OEM versions, you may *not* do
this at all. An OEM version comes with several disadvantages (that's
why it's cheaper), the most severe of which is that its license ties
it permanently to the first computer it's installed on. It can never
legally be moved to another computer, sold, or given away.

It's for that reason that I almost always recommend against buying an
OEM version.

--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 

My Computer

koch

Power User
Messages
94
#4
If it's retail (re: Bare Foot Kid), you will have to reactivate over the phone, explaining that you're installing it on a completely new build. If it's OEM, it's not possible to transfer it to a new build, as it's tied that particular machine.
 

My Computer

T

Teesang

#5
Hi Ken, thanks for that answer.

I purchased a retail version of Vista Ultimate. So my new computer will
keep pretty much nothing form my old computer except the monitors. If I
understand correctly, I should be able to install without problems, and when
activating, I may just need to call a 1-800 number. That sounds simple
enough.

"Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:43:00 -0800, Teesang
> <Teesang@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > I purchased Vista Ultimate a couple of months ago. Recently, I've decided
> > it's time for a new computer system. I do not purchase name brand computers.
> > I custom make mine. So basically I will be buying a new motherboard, case,
> > video card etc etc and building a new machine.
> >
> > My concern is how to transfer my product key or license, or if I even need
> > to do so?
> >
> > Can I just build the new computer and then insert my Vista Ultimate DVD and
> > install as normal? Or do I need to "remove" or "deactivate" the
> > license/product key from my old computer first?
>
>
> There is no such thing as "deactivation," nor is there any need to do
> so. The answer to your question depends on whether you bought a retail
> copy of Vista or an OEM one. If it's a retail one, there is no
> problem--just install and activate normally (worst case, you might be
> prompted to activate by a quick and easy voice call to an 800 number).
>
> But if you bought one of the cheaper OEM versions, you may *not* do
> this at all. An OEM version comes with several disadvantages (that's
> why it's cheaper), the most severe of which is that its license ties
> it permanently to the first computer it's installed on. It can never
> legally be moved to another computer, sold, or given away.
>
> It's for that reason that I almost always recommend against buying an
> OEM version.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup
>
 

My Computer

B

Brian W

#6
"koch" <koch.34xzc1@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net> wrote in message
news:koch.34xzc1@xxxxxx-mx.forums.net...

>
> If it's OEM, it's not possible to transfer it to a new build, as it's
> tied that particular machine.
Generic OEM licences cannot be transferred, but the original machine can be
'upgraded' as you see fit without breaching the EULA.
 

My Computer

K

Ken Blake, MVP

#7
On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 12:59:02 -0800, Teesang
<Teesang@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ken, thanks for that answer.

You're welcome. Glad to help.


> I purchased a retail version of Vista Ultimate.

Good!


> So my new computer will
> keep pretty much nothing form my old computer except the monitors. If I
> understand correctly, I should be able to install without problems, and when
> activating, I may just need to call a 1-800 number. That sounds simple
> enough.

Yes, you understand correctly.



> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:43:00 -0800, Teesang
> > <Teesang@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > I purchased Vista Ultimate a couple of months ago. Recently, I've decided
> > > it's time for a new computer system. I do not purchase name brand computers.
> > > I custom make mine. So basically I will be buying a new motherboard, case,
> > > video card etc etc and building a new machine.
> > >
> > > My concern is how to transfer my product key or license, or if I even need
> > > to do so?
> > >
> > > Can I just build the new computer and then insert my Vista Ultimate DVD and
> > > install as normal? Or do I need to "remove" or "deactivate" the
> > > license/product key from my old computer first?
> >
> >
> > There is no such thing as "deactivation," nor is there any need to do
> > so. The answer to your question depends on whether you bought a retail
> > copy of Vista or an OEM one. If it's a retail one, there is no
> > problem--just install and activate normally (worst case, you might be
> > prompted to activate by a quick and easy voice call to an 800 number).
> >
> > But if you bought one of the cheaper OEM versions, you may *not* do
> > this at all. An OEM version comes with several disadvantages (that's
> > why it's cheaper), the most severe of which is that its license ties
> > it permanently to the first computer it's installed on. It can never
> > legally be moved to another computer, sold, or given away.
> >
> > It's for that reason that I almost always recommend against buying an
> > OEM version.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
> >
--
Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)