Does Vista embed with .NET Framework 2.0?

R

Richard G. Harper

No, Vista does not come embedded in a .NET 2.0 installation. .NET 2.0
install the framework only. Vista must be installed separately. Vista
itself comes with .NET 3.0 framework as part of the basic installation
package.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] [email protected]
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Elliot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> as title
>
 

My Computer

E

Elliot

I mean does 2.0 is included in Vista?


"Richard G. Harper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:uUMUrH#[email protected]

> No, Vista does not come embedded in a .NET 2.0 installation. .NET 2.0
> install the framework only. Vista must be installed separately. Vista
> itself comes with .NET 3.0 framework as part of the basic installation
> package.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] [email protected]
> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>
>
> "Elliot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>> as title
>>
>
 

My Computer

R

Richard G. Harper

As I said, Windows Vista comes with .NET Framework 3.0 installed. Not 2.0 -
3.0 comes with Vista.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] [email protected]
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Elliot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>I mean does 2.0 is included in Vista?
>
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:uUMUrH#[email protected]

>> No, Vista does not come embedded in a .NET 2.0 installation. .NET 2.0
>> install the framework only. Vista must be installed separately. Vista
>> itself comes with .NET 3.0 framework as part of the basic installation
>> package.
>>
>> --
>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] [email protected]
>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>
>>
>> "Elliot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> as title
>>>
>>
 

My Computer

N

Norman Yuan

Yes. Vista comes with .NET3.0, which is .NET2.0 plus WPF/WCF/WF/CardSpace.
You do not need to install .NET2.0 on VISTA box. All .NET application built
for .NET2.0 will run on VISTA.

"Elliot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>I mean does 2.0 is included in Vista?
>
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:uUMUrH#[email protected]

>> No, Vista does not come embedded in a .NET 2.0 installation. .NET 2.0
>> install the framework only. Vista must be installed separately. Vista
>> itself comes with .NET 3.0 framework as part of the basic installation
>> package.
>>
>> --
>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] [email protected]
>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>
>>
>> "Elliot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]

>>> as title
>>>
>>
 

My Computer

T

Tim Shepperd

Not for me!
I'm trying to install FlashDevelop 3.0.0 Beta7 and it gives me this message:

"You need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 runtime before installing
FlashDevelop. You have 1.1.4322"

I am using Vista Ultimate 32-bit with SP1.

How do I get around this?
Tim

"Norman Yuan" wrote:

> Yes. Vista comes with .NET3.0, which is .NET2.0 plus WPF/WCF/WF/CardSpace.
> You do not need to install .NET2.0 on VISTA box. All .NET application built
> for .NET2.0 will run on VISTA.
>
 

My Computer

M

Mr. Arnold

"Tim Shepperd" <Tim [email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Not for me!
> I'm trying to install FlashDevelop 3.0.0 Beta7 and it gives me this
> message:
>
> "You need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 runtime before installing
> FlashDevelop. You have 1.1.4322"
>
> I am using Vista Ultimate 32-bit with SP1.
>
> How do I get around this?
You can have multiple versions of the .Net Framework installed on your
computer. The .Net solution you are trying to install is looking for .Net
2.0, and you must install the 2.0 to runtime.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en>
 

My Computer

T

Tim Shepperd

The previous post did say "Vista comes with .NET3.0, which is .NET2.0 plus
WPF/WCF/WF/CardSpace. You do not need to install .NET2.0 on VISTA box. All
..NET application built for .NET2.0 will run on VISTA.".
The fault may lie with the FlashDevelop 3.0.0 installer, but I have been
told it installs fine on XP.


"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

>
> "Tim Shepperd" <Tim [email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

> > Not for me!
> > I'm trying to install FlashDevelop 3.0.0 Beta7 and it gives me this
> > message:
> >
> > "You need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 runtime before installing
> > FlashDevelop. You have 1.1.4322"
> >
> > I am using Vista Ultimate 32-bit with SP1.
> >
> > How do I get around this?
>
> You can have multiple versions of the .Net Framework installed on your
> computer. The .Net solution you are trying to install is looking for .Net
> 2.0, and you must install the 2.0 to runtime.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856EACB-4362-4B0D-8EDD-AAB15C5E04F5&displaylang=en>
>
>
>
>
 

My Computer

M

Mr. Arnold

"Tim Shepperd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> The previous post did say "Vista comes with .NET3.0, which is .NET2.0 plus
> WPF/WCF/WF/CardSpace. You do not need to install .NET2.0 on VISTA box. All
> .NET application built for .NET2.0 will run on VISTA.".
Yeah, and they said the same thing about taking solutions developed using
..Net 1.1 Framework and migrating them over to .Net 2.0, which .Net 2.0 that
was to supposedly to include all of .Net 1.1 Framework technology, and it
should work when .Net 1.1 developed solutions were migrated over to .Net
2.0.

Corporation IT .Net software development departments found out real quick
that was not the case, as things broke. So 1.1 devloped solution stayed with
1.1 Framework. Development of new solutions were done on .Net 2.0 and both
solutions ran happly on the same machine.

> The fault may lie with the FlashDevelop 3.0.0 installer, but I have been
> told it installs fine on XP.
The XP box has .NET 2.0 runtime installed on it I would suspect, and the
installer for the software sees it. In the meantime, you run the installer
on Vista, it doesn't see the .NET 2.0 runtime, the install is aborting, and
you cannot install the solution.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=10cc340b-f857-4a14-83f5-25634c3bf043&displaylang=en>

Now you got two choices:

1) If the .Net solution is using all .Net technology - no COM DLL(s) are
being used which must be registered with the registry, then you're safe, as
no .Net DLL(s) are registered with the registry, and they are all kept in
the same location as the exe. That means that you can copy that whole
solution folder off of XP and copy it to the same folder you created on
Vista. But that's a maybe, if it's going to run.

2) Install the .Net 2.0 runtime that the installer is looking for as
multiple versions of the .Net runtime environment can exist on the same
machine.
 

My Computer

N

Norman Yuan

Yes, your FlashDevelop3.00, which is built on .NET2.0 would work on Vista's
..NET3.0., if you can get it installed. The problem is the installation
package, not .NET. That is, the package is built so that the installing
process searches for a specific version of .NET (2.0 here) only. It have
nothing to do with the fact that .NET2.0 app would run under .NET3.x. If you
can use XCOPY to install it, the app would run fine under .NET3.0.

So, the problem you have is the poorly built installation package, or it was
built before .NET3.x is even heard of. A good installation package is
supposed to search required .NET version. If later version is found, it
should allow installation continue, maybe with user confirmation.


"Tim Shepperd" <Tim [email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Not for me!
> I'm trying to install FlashDevelop 3.0.0 Beta7 and it gives me this
> message:
>
> "You need to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 runtime before installing
> FlashDevelop. You have 1.1.4322"
>
> I am using Vista Ultimate 32-bit with SP1.
>
> How do I get around this?
> Tim
>
> "Norman Yuan" wrote:
>

>> Yes. Vista comes with .NET3.0, which is .NET2.0 plus
>> WPF/WCF/WF/CardSpace.
>> You do not need to install .NET2.0 on VISTA box. All .NET application
>> built
>> for .NET2.0 will run on VISTA.
>>
>
 

My Computer

Top