• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Drop-down boxes dont work under Vista...?

M
#1
Hi newsgroup,

quite a strange problem that I am having with Vista when running an external
simulation software:

There are drop-down boxes from which to choose - and normally you click on
them with your mouse and choose one of the entries. However, this does not
work under Vista anymore. If I click on any entry, the box remains blank - I
cant choose any of the entries of this box!

I tried typing the entry into notepad and copy it, then click on the drop
down box and paste it in, this works - but just sometimes... sometimes it
doesn't, and I cant proceed at all.

Is there a way to fix this? This is really a strange thing and definitely
related to vista, due to the software works fine with XP (on my office
machine).

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Mat
 

My Computer

D

Dave-UK

#2
"Mat" <Mat@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:3667F307-9F35-458B-A75B-D656FF2CD592@xxxxxx

> Hi newsgroup,
>
> quite a strange problem that I am having with Vista when running an external
> simulation software:
>
> There are drop-down boxes from which to choose - and normally you click on
> them with your mouse and choose one of the entries. However, this does not
> work under Vista anymore. If I click on any entry, the box remains blank - I
> cant choose any of the entries of this box!
>
> I tried typing the entry into notepad and copy it, then click on the drop
> down box and paste it in, this works - but just sometimes... sometimes it
> doesn't, and I cant proceed at all.
>
> Is there a way to fix this? This is really a strange thing and definitely
> related to vista, due to the software works fine with XP (on my office
> machine).
>
> Thanks a lot and best regards,
>
> Mat
Have you checked that the version of your "external simulation software" is supposed to run on Vista ?
 

My Computer

M
#3
Hi Dave,

> Have you checked that the version of your "external simulation software" is supposed to run on Vista ?
yes, it supports Vista. Btw I'm having Vista Home Premium...

Thanks so far,

Mat
 

My Computer

M

Malke

#4
Mat wrote:

> Hi newsgroup,
>
> quite a strange problem that I am having with Vista when running an
> external simulation software:
>
> There are drop-down boxes from which to choose - and normally you click on
> them with your mouse and choose one of the entries. However, this does not
> work under Vista anymore. If I click on any entry, the box remains blank -
> I cant choose any of the entries of this box!
>
> I tried typing the entry into notepad and copy it, then click on the drop
> down box and paste it in, this works - but just sometimes... sometimes it
> doesn't, and I cant proceed at all.
>
> Is there a way to fix this? This is really a strange thing and definitely
> related to vista, due to the software works fine with XP (on my office
> machine).
Contact the Mystery Program's tech support. Obviously something in their
program doesn't play well with Vista. They are the best source for what
that something is, as well as any workarounds/patches/upgrades.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
 

My Computer

M
#5
Hi Malke,

> Contact the Mystery Program's tech support. Obviously something in their
> program doesn't play well with Vista. They are the best source for what
> that something is, as well as any workarounds/patches/upgrades.
Sorry for the confusion, the program I use is ASCEND - and they dont really
have a tech support, due to theyre being open source...

So it is definitely the program?

Mat
 

My Computer

M

Malke

#6
Mat wrote:

> Hi Malke,
>

>> Contact the Mystery Program's tech support. Obviously something in their
>> program doesn't play well with Vista. They are the best source for what
>> that something is, as well as any workarounds/patches/upgrades.
>
> Sorry for the confusion, the program I use is ASCEND - and they dont
> really have a tech support, due to theyre being open source...
>
> So it is definitely the program?
It is definitely the program as it interacts/runs on the Vista operating
system. Since the program runs well on Windows XP, you might want to run it
virtually. Or find a program that runs natively on Vista that does what you
want.

Not all Windows programs will run on all Windows operating systems.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ
 

My Computer

D

Dave-UK

#7
"Mat" <Mat@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:E8785296-8D0C-49E1-8E3B-8B972D1C6B9E@xxxxxx

>
> Hi Dave,
>

>> Have you checked that the version of your "external simulation software" is supposed to run on Vista ?
>
> yes, it supports Vista. Btw I'm having Vista Home Premium...
>
> Thanks so far,
>
> Mat
I downloaded the Ascend install exe, ascend-0.9.5.114-py2.5.exe and installed it.
It installed ok and although I haven't got a clue as to what I'm looking at at least
the drop-down menus appeared as normal. I could select something and it worked ok.
On the Ascend web page it says you have to install it with Administrator privileges.
I think if you uninstall Ascend and then reinstall with Admin privileges it may work ok.
Right-click the install exe and select 'Run as administrator'.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)