Dual Boot using free partitioning software

Dual Boot using Free Partitioning Software

Walkthrough: Using manage function in Vista to partition hard drive and operating system(s) installation (see related link for Syschat)

OR:
For partitioning space larger than Vista will allow (download free partitioning software, follow steps)
>Paragon Partitioner

Step1
Burn ISO Partitioner to CD (ISO is a disk image. for free ISO image burning software):BURNCDCC
to burn ISO, run BURNCDCC, and navigate to Partitioner unzipped ISO Image file. Nero users will find ISO image burning as program feature, and can add the downloaded file for burning.​
Step2
Boot off Paragon Partitioner disk; follow instructions to resize/create partitions​
Restart to allow Windows to see new partion, then Insert Vista or other OS, restart, and install into 2nd newly created partition.​
Make sure you create a partition (Volume) that is not smaller than the Minimum required for the O/S you want to Dual Boot. Format the partition as SIMPLE/BASIC/NTFS.
Note-
If you at any time plan to restore from a Image (recovery partition/created disk image) You MUST restore the Partition size to what it was when the image was created- or, If it Is smaller than the original size, the install will fail. It is best if you plan to restore an image to delete all created partitions, and then Install the image onto an unpartitioned Drive as this will allow it to recreate the actual partitions. In the event you upgrade to larger capacity Hard Drives, simply follow the steps below in Tutorial to access the "Manage" Utility to extend the Volume(s) to span the entire Disk after re-Imaging.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------​
Related Link:
Fixing the boot loader In Vista (Start up Repair)

Dual Boot Vista and XP with Vista already installed - SysChat

!!!Warning!!!
Repairing Boot Configuration Data (BCD)

Merging Partitions to the left will result in a non-bootable partition. This must be repaired.
boot sector- which allocates the first 16 sectors for the boot sector and the bootstrap code will be in the middle of a partition merged to the left. The Boot Config data must be rebuilt.

Vista and XP use different boot loader utilities in the MBR (Master Boot Record) of your hard drive.
XP does not recognize Vista, but Vista will recognize XP, so we need to remove the boot loader that XP just put in with the old Vista boot loader. This is also neccessary If for example, you decide to Install another Version of Vista or Winows 7 (rather than XP), and then decide later to remove the Dual boot. So restart once more, but this time with your Vista disc in the drive...Boot into Vista Advanced Boot Options, select Repair your Computer, and click Startup Repair. (see related link above for walkthrough)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To repair/rebuild the Boot Config Data Use the Bootrec.exe Tool

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista
  1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
  2. Press a key when you are prompted.
  3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
  4. Click Repair your computer.
  5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
  6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
  7. Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.
Note To start the computer from the Windows Vista DVD, the computer must be configured to start from the DVD drive. For more information about how to configure the computer to start from the DVD drive, see the documentation that is included with the computer or contact the computer manufacturer.
Back to the top
Bootrec.exe options

The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd
Bootrec.exe options

The Bootrec.exe tool supports the following options. Use the option that is appropriate for your situation.

Note If rebuilding the BCD does not resolve the startup issue, you can export and delete the BCD, and then run this option again. By doing this, you make sure that the BCD is completely rebuilt. To do this, type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
  • bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd
/FixMbr

The /FixMbr option writes a Windows Vista-compatible MBR to the system partition. This option does not overwrite the existing partition table. Use this option when you must resolve MBR corruption issues, or when you have to remove non-standard code from the MBR.
/FixBoot

The /FixBoot option writes a new boot sector to the system partition by using a boot sector that is compatible with Windows Vista. Use this option if one of the following conditions is true:
  • The boot sector has been replaced with a non-standard Windows Vista boot sector.
  • The boot sector is damaged.
  • An earlier Windows operating system has been installed after Windows Vista was installed. In this scenario, the computer starts by using Windows NT Loader (NTLDR) instead of Windows Boot Manager (Bootmgr.exe).
/ScanOs

The /ScanOs option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option displays the entries that are currently not in the BCD store. Use this option when there are Windows Vista installations that the Boot Manager menu does not list.
/RebuildBcd

The /RebuildBcd option scans all disks for installations that are compatible with Windows Vista. Additionally, this option lets you select the installations that you want to add to the BCD store. Use this option when you must completely rebuild the BCD
Note- this can also apply to dual boots using Vista/Windows 7

How to remove Xp from a XP/Vista Dual boot when XP is the first Partition and extending to the left

Make your Vista partition the active partition, run Start-up repair from the
Vista DVD (may need to more than once).
When you can boot into Vista, you
can do what you want with the XP partition. You will need a third party
product such as Paragon Partitioner to combine the space into one partition if XP is on the first partition.

Remove XP Boot
Start> in search bar type msconfig>click program>click continue> In System Configuration-click "boot">delete XP from Boot

Disk Management-Mark Vista Partition as active/change drive letter
Start>right click computer-click "manage">Click Continue>Click "Disk Management">right click on Vista Volume at bottom.

Further note-
Merging the partitions will create an issue with the boot sector- which allocates the first 16 sectors for the boot sector and the bootstrap code. This will result in a non-bootable partition. The BCD (boot config) must then be repaired. (see repairing Boot Config (BCD) above)

How to Remove Dual Boot when Vista Is on the First Partition (keeping Vista) and extending to the right

Disk Management-Mark Vista Partition as active
Start>right click computer-click "manage">Click Continue>Click "Disk Management">right click on Vista Volume at bottom

Remove other O/S Boot
Start> in search bar type msconfig>click program>click continue> In System Configuration-click "boot">delete other O/S from Boot (i.e., Windows 7)

Restart Computer
Run Start-up repair from the Vista DVD (may need to more than once). When you can boot into Vista, access Disk Management again, delete other O/S partition (i.e., Win 7/Vista).
Right click Vista Volume, and click "Extend". Then re-assign drive letter(s) if desired. (see related link above for walkthrough on Start-up Repair)

Attachments

• thumb_Hard_Drive.png
    thumb_Hard_Drive.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 263
Last edited by a moderator:
rive0108,
Trying to add a partition to my Dell Studio 17 Vista premium 64bit laptop. Haven't used my DVD burner much, only a couple of times, but have burned useable recovery disks from Paragon and Macrium reflect. Hopefully you can tell me if I missed a step or a suggestion on how to make it work. Downloaded your Paragon Partitioner then burned it to a DVD with Roxio Creator DE 10.2, using 'Burn Image'. Inserted the DVD checked that it has the files from the image and not the image itself. Restarted the computer, selected boot from CD/DVD and when it started from the DVD I got a flashing curser and 18 dots and nothing else for 30 min. so tried escape, finially had to power off.
Any Ideas?
Previously used Easeus Partition Master to add a partition to my Vista 32bit desktop after my older version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 wouldn't do it. The Easeus PM worked without incident. Both of these partitioners say they won't work with 64bit, so I've been looking for something that will work on my laptop but haven't found any freeware, don't plan on changing the partitions more than once. Want to try Windows 7 RC 64bit in dual boot with Vista.
Hope you can help,
Regards,
Dave

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ~76
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570k 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, SATA 6Gb/s USB 3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengence C8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio ALC889 Integrated Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB cache, Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB cache,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/12cm fan, 2x14cm 1x12cm case
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Speed is not the word I would use to describe it!
    Other Info
    eSATA ports, External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm, External USB WD 500GB
rive0108,
Trying to add a partition to my Dell Studio 17 Vista premium 64bit laptop. Haven't used my DVD burner much, only a couple of times, but have burned useable recovery disks from Paragon and Macrium reflect. Hopefully you can tell me if I missed a step or a suggestion on how to make it work. Downloaded your Paragon Partitioner then burned it to a DVD with Roxio Creator DE 10.2, using 'Burn Image'. Inserted the DVD checked that it has the files from the image and not the image itself. Restarted the computer, selected boot from CD/DVD and when it started from the DVD I got a flashing curser and 18 dots and nothing else for 30 min. so tried escape, finially had to power off.
Any Ideas?
Previously used Easeus Partition Master to add a partition to my Vista 32bit desktop after my older version of Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8.5 wouldn't do it. The Easeus PM worked without incident. Both of these partitioners say they won't work with 64bit, so I've been looking for something that will work on my laptop but haven't found any freeware, don't plan on changing the partitions more than once. Want to try Windows 7 RC 64bit in dual boot with Vista.
Hope you can help,
Regards,
Dave

For 64-bit, you must create and boot from the bootable disk to partition HDD
download this and burn it to a cd/dvd, then place disk in drive, restart, and boot off disk.
Paragon Partitioner

note- this is an ISO, and must be burned with an iso burner, if you dont have one, try this:BURNCDCC

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    T7600G Core2Duo 2.66 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel 945PM + ICH7 Chipset
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 667MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    WUXGA 17"
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1200
    Hard Drives
    640GB 7200RPM SATA/RAID 0 (2x320GB)
    and 320GB 7200RPM External
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft 3000
    Internet Speed
    10 mbps/2 mbps
    Other Info
    Optical Drive:
    Panasonic UJ-220 DL BD-RE (Blu-Ray)
rive0108,
Any Ideas?
Hope you can help,
Regards,
Dave

For 64-bit, you must create and boot from the bootable disk to partition HDD
download this and burn it to a cd/dvd, then place disk in drive, restart, and boot off disk.
Paragon Partitioner

note- this is an ISO, and must be burned with an iso burner, if you dont have one, try this:BURNCDCC

Thanks for the reply.
I followed the instructions in your origional post, "Burned" the ISO image to a DVD using Roxio Creator, checked that the files were on the DVD and not just an image. I have 'Burned' images to DVD before to make a bootable disk, with success, but only several times.
Inserted the DVD, restarted, selected boot from CD/DVD in BIOS and my computer will not boot from the DVD.
Re-tried the process with same results.
Was just trying to figure out if I did something wrong. Must have, but didn't figure out what it was.

I found Partition Wizard (on SevenForums) and was able to get everything done and installed Win7 (from USB thumb drive).

Thanks,
Dave

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ~76
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570k 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H, SATA 6Gb/s USB 3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengence C8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio ALC889 Integrated Chip
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB cache, Seagate Barracuda 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB cache,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/12cm fan, 2x14cm 1x12cm case
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Speed is not the word I would use to describe it!
    Other Info
    eSATA ports, External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm, External USB WD 500GB
Back