DVD drive spinning up

L

Linea Recta

How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In
configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?


--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os
 

My Computer

B

BillW50

On 5/28/2010 10:17 AM, Linea Recta wrote:

> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use??
> In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?
Well it spins up even without a disc in the drive actually. It is just
quieter and it realizes pretty soon there isn't a disc so it stops.

If you have a disc in there, well you know what happens. There is
nothing I know of to stop it from spinning up the drive when you turn it
on. Although changing the boot order in the BIOS might speed things up
for you. That way it doesn't try to boot from a non-bootable DVD.

Other than that, I leave the drive door opened a little bit. It never
spins that way. If you are going to move around with the laptop,
probably best to close it until it is stationary once again.

--
Bill
Thunderbird Portable 3.0 (20091130)
 

My Computer

P

Peter Foldes

When does it spin up? Next time hold down the Shift key and see if it spins up then

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Linea Recta" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use?? In
> configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?
>
>
> --
> regards,
>
> |\ /|
> | \/ |@rk
> \../
> \/os
>
 

My Computer

L

Linea Recta

"BillW50" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]

> On 5/28/2010 10:17 AM, Linea Recta wrote:

>> How can I prevent the DVD drive pinning up each time when NOT in use??
>> In configuration I have already disabled all auto run options!
>> Or is the only remedy taking out the disk each time?
>
> Well it spins up even without a disc in the drive actually.

Didn't know that...


> It is just quieter and it realizes pretty soon there isn't a disc so it
> stops.

I was also thinking about needless wear of the drive.


>
> If you have a disc in there, well you know what happens. There is nothing
> I know of to stop it from spinning up the drive when you turn it on.
> Although changing the boot order in the BIOS might speed things up for
> you. That way it doesn't try to boot from a non-bootable DVD.

I can hear it not only when booting up, but also when the system is running,
every now and then randomly. I really wonder... perhaps an overactive
McAfee?



--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os
 

My Computer

Top