• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Easy Transfer of email from OE in XP to Outlook in Vista?

S

Steve

#1
Can anyone please tell me if I can transfer (using Easy Transfer) my old
email (in Outlook Express) in my XP PC, to Outlook in my new Vista PC, or do
I have to transfer to Windows Mail.

--
Thanks very much for your help.
Steve
 

My Computer

T

Tatsuo Yamada [MSFT]

#2
Hi Steve,

Yes, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer e-mail messages from your
Windows XP computer to your Windows Vista computer. You can transfer
messages, account settings, and address books from Microsoft Outlook
Express, Outlook, Windows Mail, and other e‑mail programs. However, this
only transfers those messages from one computer to another. I believe that
you will still need to import the Microsoft Outlook Express messages into
Microsoft Outlook.

I would suggest reading the help topic "Transferring files and settings:
frequently asked questions"
(http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/96d5d811-6d52-4dff-b39b-76c64a131dfe1033.mspx).
It might answer some of the questions you might have about using Windows
Easy Transfer and will help you get ready for a transfer.

You can find information about importing messages from Outlook Express to
Microosft Outlook 2002 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010943871033.aspx?pid=CH011031181033
You can find information about importing messages from Outlook Express to
Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA100799191033.aspx?pid=CH100788841033

Hope this helps,

--
Tatsuo Yamada
Windows User Assistance team
Microsoft Corporation




"Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2CF7E8B7-CE02-43AD-BA65-D095B9D1653C@microsoft.com...
> Can anyone please tell me if I can transfer (using Easy Transfer) my old
> email (in Outlook Express) in my XP PC, to Outlook in my new Vista PC, or
> do
> I have to transfer to Windows Mail.
>
> --
> Thanks very much for your help.
> Steve
 

My Computer

S

Steve

#3
Excellent help - thank you. One more question: on the help topics you
referred me to, it refers to Outlook Express on the PC I'm transferring to -
does this mean Windows Mail in Vista (i.e. is it the same as OE ?). As you
hint, it sounds easier to first copy from OE (old XP PC) to Windows Mail (new
Vista PC), then transfer from Windows Mail to OUtlook (on same Vista PC). Is
my thinking correct?
--
Thanks very much for your help.
Steve


"Tatsuo Yamada [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Yes, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer e-mail messages from your
> Windows XP computer to your Windows Vista computer. You can transfer
> messages, account settings, and address books from Microsoft Outlook
> Express, Outlook, Windows Mail, and other e‑mail programs. However, this
> only transfers those messages from one computer to another. I believe that
> you will still need to import the Microsoft Outlook Express messages into
> Microsoft Outlook.
>
> I would suggest reading the help topic "Transferring files and settings:
> frequently asked questions"
> (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/96d5d811-6d52-4dff-b39b-76c64a131dfe1033.mspx).
> It might answer some of the questions you might have about using Windows
> Easy Transfer and will help you get ready for a transfer.
>
> You can find information about importing messages from Outlook Express to
> Microosft Outlook 2002 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, here:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010943871033.aspx?pid=CH011031181033
> You can find information about importing messages from Outlook Express to
> Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, here:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA100799191033.aspx?pid=CH100788841033
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> --
> Tatsuo Yamada
> Windows User Assistance team
> Microsoft Corporation
>
>
>
>
> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2CF7E8B7-CE02-43AD-BA65-D095B9D1653C@microsoft.com...
> > Can anyone please tell me if I can transfer (using Easy Transfer) my old
> > email (in Outlook Express) in my XP PC, to Outlook in my new Vista PC, or
> > do
> > I have to transfer to Windows Mail.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks very much for your help.
> > Steve

>
>
 

My Computer

T

Tatsuo Yamada [MSFT]

#4
Hi Steve,

I apologize if I wasn't more clear in my original message. Windows Easy
Transfer will transfer Outlook Express files, but once they are transferred
you will still need to import those files in Microsoft Outlook in order to
access them.

If you are planning on using Microsoft Outlook and not Windows Mail (which
replaces Outlook Express in Windows Vista) you should import messages from
Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook directly.

Hope this helps,
Tatsuo


--
Tatsuo Yamada
Windows User Assistance team
Microsoft Corporation

"Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:986A94DA-4398-45F0-92E5-0AF8DCAD6EF3@microsoft.com...
> Excellent help - thank you. One more question: on the help topics you
> referred me to, it refers to Outlook Express on the PC I'm transferring
> to -
> does this mean Windows Mail in Vista (i.e. is it the same as OE ?). As
> you
> hint, it sounds easier to first copy from OE (old XP PC) to Windows Mail
> (new
> Vista PC), then transfer from Windows Mail to OUtlook (on same Vista PC).
> Is
> my thinking correct?
> --
> Thanks very much for your help.
> Steve
>
>
> "Tatsuo Yamada [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> Yes, you can use Windows Easy Transfer to transfer e-mail messages from
>> your
>> Windows XP computer to your Windows Vista computer. You can transfer
>> messages, account settings, and address books from Microsoft Outlook
>> Express, Outlook, Windows Mail, and other e‑mail programs. However, this
>> only transfers those messages from one computer to another. I believe
>> that
>> you will still need to import the Microsoft Outlook Express messages into
>> Microsoft Outlook.
>>
>> I would suggest reading the help topic "Transferring files and settings:
>> frequently asked questions"
>> (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/96d5d811-6d52-4dff-b39b-76c64a131dfe1033.mspx).
>> It might answer some of the questions you might have about using Windows
>> Easy Transfer and will help you get ready for a transfer.
>>
>> You can find information about importing messages from Outlook Express to
>> Microosft Outlook 2002 or Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, here:
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010943871033.aspx?pid=CH011031181033
>> You can find information about importing messages from Outlook Express to
>> Microsoft Office Outlook 2007, here:
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA100799191033.aspx?pid=CH100788841033
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> --
>> Tatsuo Yamada
>> Windows User Assistance team
>> Microsoft Corporation
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:2CF7E8B7-CE02-43AD-BA65-D095B9D1653C@microsoft.com...
>> > Can anyone please tell me if I can transfer (using Easy Transfer) my
>> > old
>> > email (in Outlook Express) in my XP PC, to Outlook in my new Vista PC,
>> > or
>> > do
>> > I have to transfer to Windows Mail.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thanks very much for your help.
>> > Steve

>>
>>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)