• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Even Solitaire!!!

S

stillarfish

#1
Now I know that Vista has its challenges like any operating system but am
amazed that even the Solitaire game is not working correctly!!! Solitaire is
a game which seldom changes and definitely not a priority on anyone's list
yet it is indicative of questionable testing procedures for Vista
modifications. The game asks if the user wishes to revert to a saved game
even though the previous game was not saved when the user exited. This is a
recent modification as I play the game often and never save a game yet within
the past several days it asks everytime I start Solitaire if I want to resume
a saved game. It poses the question of what else has changed and were those
changes adequately tested???
--
Fish
 

My Computer

C

Charlie42

#2
"stillarfish" <stillarfish@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>

> The game asks if the user wishes to revert to a saved game
> even though the previous game was not saved when the user exited. This is
> a
> recent modification as I play the game often and never save a game yet
> within
> the past several days it asks everytime I start Solitaire if I want to
> resume
> a saved game.
Are you sure it hasn't been set to auto save? Check your Game Settings (F5).

Charlie42
 

My Computer

Dzomlija

Resistance is Futile
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Messages
2,213
Location
South Africa
#3
Now I know that Vista has its challenges like any operating system but am
amazed that even the Solitaire game is not working correctly!!! Solitaire is
a game which seldom changes and definitely not a priority on anyone's list
yet it is indicative of questionable testing procedures for Vista
modifications. The game asks if the user wishes to revert to a saved game
even though the previous game was not saved when the user exited. This is a
recent modification as I play the game often and never save a game yet within
the past several days it asks everytime I start Solitaire if I want to resume
a saved game. It poses the question of what else has changed and were those
changes adequately tested???
--
Fish
Either the game is set to autosave, as Charlie42 suggested, or the last time you where out, someone played solitaire on you computer, and saved a game...
 

My Computer

System One

  • Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
    Motherboard
    ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi
    Memory
    2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAHARA 21"
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x 80GB Seagate (I)
    2 x 120GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 200GB Seagate (I/S)
    2 x 250GB Seagate (I/S)
    PSU
    800W
    Case
    Thermaltake Tai-Chi
    Cooling
    Tai-Chi Water Cooler
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Keyboard
    Genius
    Internet Speed
    384kbps
    Other Info
    Currently dual booting between Vista x64 Ultimate Windows 7 BETA x64
P

Paul Smith

#4
"stillarfish" <stillarfish@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:B712FA8B-B011-471A-BBCC-EA2AF85AE5BE@xxxxxx

> Now I know that Vista has its challenges like any operating system but am
> amazed that even the Solitaire game is not working correctly!!! Solitaire
> is
> a game which seldom changes and definitely not a priority on anyone's list
> yet it is indicative of questionable testing procedures for Vista
> modifications. The game asks if the user wishes to revert to a saved game
> even though the previous game was not saved when the user exited. This is
> a
> recent modification as I play the game often and never save a game yet
> within
> the past several days it asks everytime I start Solitaire if I want to
> resume
> a saved game. It poses the question of what else has changed and were
> those
> changes adequately tested???
> --
> Fish
If it is offering to open a save game, then a save game must exist in the
save game folder.

C:\Users\<you>Saved Games\

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*
 

My Computer

R

Ronnie Vernon MVP

#5
Look at the options in Solitaire. Do you have the 'Always save game on
exit' selected?

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"stillarfish" <stillarfish@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:B712FA8B-B011-471A-BBCC-EA2AF85AE5BE@xxxxxx

> Now I know that Vista has its challenges like any operating system but am
> amazed that even the Solitaire game is not working correctly!!! Solitaire
> is
> a game which seldom changes and definitely not a priority on anyone's list
> yet it is indicative of questionable testing procedures for Vista
> modifications. The game asks if the user wishes to revert to a saved game
> even though the previous game was not saved when the user exited. This is
> a
> recent modification as I play the game often and never save a game yet
> within
> the past several days it asks everytime I start Solitaire if I want to
> resume
> a saved game. It poses the question of what else has changed and were
> those
> changes adequately tested???
> --
> Fish
 

My Computer

S

stillarfish

#6
No, auto save is off!!! Only Display Animations and Play Sounds boxes are
checked.
--
Fish


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Look at the options in Solitaire. Do you have the 'Always save game on
> exit' selected?
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "stillarfish" <stillarfish@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:B712FA8B-B011-471A-BBCC-EA2AF85AE5BE@xxxxxx

> > Now I know that Vista has its challenges like any operating system but am
> > amazed that even the Solitaire game is not working correctly!!! Solitaire
> > is
> > a game which seldom changes and definitely not a priority on anyone's list
> > yet it is indicative of questionable testing procedures for Vista
> > modifications. The game asks if the user wishes to revert to a saved game
> > even though the previous game was not saved when the user exited. This is
> > a
> > recent modification as I play the game often and never save a game yet
> > within
> > the past several days it asks everytime I start Solitaire if I want to
> > resume
> > a saved game. It poses the question of what else has changed and were
> > those
> > changes adequately tested???
> > --
> > Fish
>
 

My Computer

C

Charlie42

#7
"stillarfish" <stillarfish@xxxxxx> wrote:

> No, auto save is off!!! Only Display Animations and Play Sounds boxes are
> checked.
Delete the stored Solitaire game from the folder below. As long as there is
a saved game in it, you will receive the mentioned start up prompt.

C:\%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Solitaire

Charlie42
 

My Computer

C

cheen

#9
sorry vista is crap

even in solitaire


"Charlie42" <Charlie42@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uyUUKEbaIHA.5984@xxxxxx

> Sorry, the correct path is:
>
> C:\Users\%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitaire
>
> Charlie42
 

My Computer

G

Gotde T Shirt

#10
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 18:43:54 +0100, Charlie42 wrote:

> Sorry, the correct path is:
>
> C:\Users\%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitaire
>
> Charlie42
No it's not. The correct path is:
%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitaire
 

My Computer

C

Charlie42

#11
"Gotde T Shirt" <me@xxxxxx> wrote:

>> C:\Users\%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitaire
>
> No it's not. The correct path is:
> %UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitaire
They will both take you to the correct folder. I prefer to show the entire
path from root down on this ng, since a lot of people are not familiar with
the % shorthand.

Charlie42
 

My Computer

G

Gotde T Shirt

#12
On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 20:39:36 +0100, Charlie42 wrote:

> "Gotde T Shirt" <me@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>> C:\Users\%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitaire
>>
>> No it's not. The correct path is:
>> %UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft Games\Solitaire
>
> They will both take you to the correct folder. I prefer to show the entire
> path from root down on this ng, since a lot of people are not familiar with
> the % shorthand.
>
> Charlie42

You are mistaken.

1) Open a CMD window.

2) Type the command> dir "c:\Users\%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft
Games\Solitaire"

3) Type the command> dir "%UserProfile%\Saved Games\Microsoft
Games\Solitaire"

Note the different responses.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)