Firefox problems

johnwillyums

johnwillyums
Vista Pro
Hi all. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64 OEM on a Q6600+4gb ram+Asus P5N-E SLI.
My favourite browser is Firefox and I installed version 2.0.0.4 and it runs fine. However I got prompted to upgrade to version 2.0.0.6 and when I did I lost my broadband connection completely.
I've tried it several times and the same thing happens every time.
Obviously I have disabled the update prompt and am running version 2.0.0.4 but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a way round it.
I've tried to get onto mozillas forums but it keeps telling me I have typed in the fuzzy letter test thingy wrongly! Once again I've tried several times and been extra careful but they still won't let me register.
All rather weird.
John

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    custom build
    CPU
    Q6600 OCd to 3.06GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    Corsair 2x2GB TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF G
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell Utrasharp 2408WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x Samsung Spinpoint 500GB
    1x Samsung F1 1TB
    PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 650 watt
    Case
    Coolermaster Cosmos S
    Cooling
    Tuniq Tower 120 + 3x120mm + 200m side fan
    Keyboard
    logitech Wave
    Mouse
    Roccat Kone
    Internet Speed
    supposedly 8mbps actually about 4 or 5
    Other Info
    love this mouse
No problems with me. I have Vista Home Premium-64 and Firefox 2.0.0.6. Perhaps the problem lies with the network connection rather than Firefox?

My Computer

Yep even i am using FF 2.0.0.6 on X64 Vista no problems.

If you are using a Proxy make sure the proxy settings arent changed after the update is done.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.0Ghz
    Motherboard
    Intel
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9650M GT
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus N80VN-X1 Laptop
    Screen Resolution
    1280 X 800
    Hard Drives
    1 X 250GB 5200 RPM
    Internet Speed
    11 MBPS
    Other Info
    XBOX 360 Controller | Vista X64 | Simpledrive 500GB
Oh and...

Try uninstalling Firefox and downloading the new edition to desktop. Then right click and install as admin (you may have done that already)

My Computer

Hi. Thanks for your input folks.
I tried uninstalling 2.0.0.4 and then installing 2.0.0..6 as administrator but still got the same problem-no connection to the internet from firefox but IE still connected.
I had previously looked at the connections box in firefox and the same box in the newer version was exactly the same. I'm not using a proxy so all the panels were empty except the last one which said "no proxy for local host, 127.0.0.1.
As I say this was exactly the same as the older version connection box. I tried looking at the various connection options in Vista control panel but they all told me I had no problem as I don't except with the firefox browser.
After a while I gave up but after running several differently worded searches I could not find a download for firefox 2.0.0.4. All the links led me to 2.0.0.6.
I am now trying Opera and it seems fine and looks quite nice but I miss "red shift".
It certainly seems very fast but I am none the wiser as to why my problem with firefox occurred and why others are running it without these issues.

If anyone has any other ideas I'd be happy to try them but as you can probably tell I'm not very techy.
Thanks, John

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    custom build
    CPU
    Q6600 OCd to 3.06GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Pro
    Memory
    Corsair 2x2GB TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF G
    Graphics Card(s)