Solved Fonts in web pages and emails destroyed!

verdi

My machine (with Vista) asked me if I wanted to upgrade to Explorer 9 and in a weak moment I clicket yes. That was a catastrophic mistake. All fonts in webpages are now blurred grey and horrible. And worse, this "upgrade" also attacked and destroyed all the fonts in my emails also.

Previously fonts could be repaired in in Control Panel / Personalization / Window colour and appearance / Effects / uncheck Smooth Edges, etc. This procedure still helps for all system text, folder names, etc, but NOT where it really counts, in emails and webpages. I sometimes copy and paste a quite a lot of razor sharp text into MS Paint when I make work illustrations, but this can no longer be done properly since the lettersin Explorer have been destroyed.

I did a System Restore on my machine back to yesterday, but sneaky Microsoft didn'd just destroy my fonts but they also destroyed my previous version of my web browser program so I cannot get it back.

Can anybody help with these fonts? They are ok in Mozilla and Opera but I also use Explorer sometimes, and of course my emails are my most important work tool.

My Computer

Hi welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your problems.
I take it you are back with IE8?
I have included a couple of links below with information relating in some part to your problem of fonts.
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/106279-fonts-change-default.html
Restore Vista fonts « How-To Geek Forums

If you cannot sort the problem through the information in the links, I would like you to consider doing the system File Checker Scan.

System File Checker, this makes sure that all the system files are where they should be. The sfc /scannow command scans all the protected system files and replaces incorrect, corrupted, or damaged versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You may/will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.
Please take note of space after sfc.

The scan may take some time, so be patient. Windows will attempt to repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds.

No guarantee can be given that the SFC scan will be able to repair all the damaged, incorrect, corrupt etc., files.

If faulty files are found, please run sfc /scannow 3 times.
Please upload CBS.LOG results in your next post.

Please follow the instructions in the link below:-
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66978-system-files-sfc-command.html

If you have any questions please ask.
Thank you.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
My machine (with Vista) asked me if I wanted to upgrade to Explorer 9 and in a weak moment I clicket yes. That was a catastrophic mistake. All fonts in webpages are now blurred grey and horrible. And worse, this "upgrade" also attacked and destroyed all the fonts in my emails also.

Previously fonts could be repaired in in Control Panel / Personalization / Window colour and appearance / Effects / uncheck Smooth Edges, etc. This procedure still helps for all system text, folder names, etc, but NOT where it really counts, in emails and webpages. I sometimes copy and paste a quite a lot of razor sharp text into MS Paint when I make work illustrations, but this can no longer be done properly since the lettersin Explorer have been destroyed.

I did a System Restore on my machine back to yesterday, but sneaky Microsoft didn'd just destroy my fonts but they also destroyed my previous version of my web browser program so I cannot get it back.

Can anybody help with these fonts? They are ok in Mozilla and Opera but I also use Explorer sometimes, and of course my emails are my most important work tool.

>>>>sneaky Microsoft didn'd just destroy my fonts but they also destroyed my previous version of my web browser program so I cannot get it back.

Pardon my contradiction, I am not sure that is how it happened.

>>>>I did a System Restore on my machine back to yesterday

Question : when did you installed IE9, today ?
If your system restore point you used is a date AFTER you had installed IE, then you are STILL on IE9.

If you uninstall IE9, the system will automatically revert to your previous IE version. It will NOT " destroy " your previous version.

Open your IE > click Help > About Internet Explorer > what does it say ? IE9 or IE8 ?

This is how you uninstall IE9..................

Start button >in the search box, type programs and features > press Enter key > left column, click View Installed Updates > wait for it to load > scroll way down to find Windows Internet Explorer 9 > right click on it, click Uninstall.

My Computer

t-4-2,

I upgraded to IE 9 this morning and this evening I did a System Restore back to 19 April (yesterday). But the machine still has IE 9 installed so the System Restore did not restore my machine to how it was on the 19 April. Yes, the it does say IE 9 when I look it up now. My conclusion is that Microsoft destroyed my previous Explorer when the new one was installed this morning, otherwise the machine would have been back to the old version. I will definitely try to uninstall IE 9 the way you say.

Will IE 8 still be available to download anywhere?

kesume,

I don’t think there is a fault with the choice of fonts since the machine it quite capable of rendering nice fonts when it wants to. For example see the text in the example email (random spam I received today) header and on all the click buttons compared with the actual email text: http://i51.tinypic.com/16h7ynr.png (for all the images here you must see the full native size picture to simulate what you would see on the PC display) As I sais, it is only web and email text which is blurred, all operational text is normal.

If the text is enlarged you can see that the letters have been made less legible than normal black pixilated computer letters: http://i52.tinypic.com/v3od1v.png

Here is a comparison of this forum text with IE 9 and with Mozilla: http://i54.tinypic.com/99jlz8.png (again, full native image size is needed)

The text seems to be deliberately designed to have this style, i.e. I doubt there is any data faults, but it should be possible to opt out of it but I have still not found a way to do so.

My Computer

t-4-2,

Just quickly, Windows IE 9 is not on the list of Programs and Features so it cannot be uninstalled from that location.

However IE 9 is on the list of Windows updates:

"Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista Successful Important‎ 20/‎04/‎2011 [time]"

But with no uninstall option.

My Computer

sfc /scannow was clear:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>sfc/scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
C:\Windows\system32>

My Computer

t-4-2,

Just quickly, Windows IE 9 is not on the list of Programs and Features so it cannot be uninstalled from that location.

However IE 9 is on the list of Windows updates:

"Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista Successful Important‎ 20/‎04/‎2011 [time]"

But with no uninstall option.

Please re-read my previous post....I did NOT say look at the list under the Programs and Features, I wrote.....

left column, click View Installed Updates.......

My Computer

Your are right, I did not read your post properly. But now I have and I did what you said, went to the left column found the recently installed IE9, uninstalled it and now I'm back to good old IE8 where all web pages and emails have crisply clear text!

Thanks for all help!

(But I still wonder why IE9 doesn't have an opt-out option from these artistic grey text types. I'm dreading the day my PC has had enough and I really need to update to IE9 or later...)

My Computer

Happy your text is clear & back to normal.
Happy Computing.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
Your are right, I did not read your post properly. But now I have and I did what you said, went to the left column found the recently installed IE9, uninstalled it and now I'm back to good old IE8 where all web pages and emails have crisply clear text!

Thanks for all help!

(But I still wonder why IE9 doesn't have an opt-out option from these artistic grey text types. I'm dreading the day my PC has had enough and I really need to update to IE9 or later...)

You are welcome.

P.S. I viewed your screenshots you posted regarding your " fonts " problem.
I am completely at a loss.
I see nothing wrong with the font's clarity , particularly the last example where the text in IE9 is MUCH more clearer than the text in Firefox.

I am asking the Moderator to mark this thread (post) as solved.

My Computer

Back