Gmail account cannot send/receive in Outlook 2007

bolivar

I have been driven mad for the last 1-2 weeks. Been looking for so many solutions but can't really find anything definitive out there. The one thing I did find I got stuck and could not find any additional help on it.

Anyway's, I have Vista Home Premium x64 and I was trying to hook up my Gmail account to Outlook 2007. It can neither send or recieve it goes to like 66% then gets the following error message:

"Task" <username>@gmail.com Receiving reported error (0x80042108) outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-email server.

I tried re-installs as what was recommended, deleting the account, checking the firewalls, even turned the whole thing off to check but same problem. I have checked the settings time and time again and they are correct:

pop.gmail.com:995
smtp.gmail.com:587

I have tried the Safe (Networking Mode) and it works but I need it to work in Normal mode. I know many recommendations say debugging etc.. but wondering if there are any updates etc.. that I need to add or remove to make it work in normal mode?

Oh, I have turned on the TELNET client and tried to telnet pop.gmail.com but kept getting the following error:

* TELNET POP.GMAIL.COM 995 CONNECTING TO POP.GMAIL.COM...COULD NOT OPEN CONNECTION TO THE HOST, ON PORT 995: CONNECT FAILED.

Does the problem lie here? I also tried to look for help on this but got really nothing. I check to see how to open a port on the firewall but nothing definitive (any help here)??

* I can ping pop.gmail.com and get the IP address which I have also tried which does not work.

* I also ran TRACERT POP.GMAIL.COM, it completes within the recommended 30hops and at the end I get "Trace Complete" and I don't see any weird errors.

This is all from my home. I don't reckon it's anything to do with my provider since I can run my Gmail from XP using Oulook 2007 with no problems. I guess its a Vista x64 thing Telnet, opening the ports etc..

Any help is appreciated!!!!!

My Computer

t-4-2

Banned
>>>>"Task" <username>@gmail.com Receiving reported error (0x80042108) outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-email server.

What do you use as your account type ?
IMAP or POP3 ?

If you are using IMAP, then your Incoming mail server is ....
imap.gmail.com, port #993
not
pop.gmail.com, port #995

My Computer

richc46

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT

t-4-2

Banned
>>>I have tried the Safe (Networking Mode) and it works

Both your problems have one thing in common.... " it works in safe mode ...."

Have you done any virus scanning lately ?
If answer is " no ", I'd suggest you do one now.

If you need extra help to do that, download Malwarebytes. It is one of the best in the business.
Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (free)

My Computer

Hey bolivar, I have similar issue with my vista 32 bit, is there any solution you have found? I tried stuff mentioned here but still no luck. and also I am not able to ping pop.gmail.com it says RTO. any help would be highly appreciated!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenevo Vista PC
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    INtel
    Memory
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
Hey bolivar, I have similar issue with my vista 32 bit, is there any solution you have found? I tried stuff mentioned here but still no luck. and also I am not able to ping pop.gmail.com it says RTO. any help would be highly appreciated!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenevo Vista PC
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    INtel
    Memory
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch

richc46

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Please do not post more than once. You will be answered when help is available.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
Sorry! my bad, that was accidentally got posted twice.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenevo Vista PC
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    INtel
    Memory
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch