• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

how can I make all programs available to other user accounts on my

T

Tmagers

#1
just created a new user on my laptop and I can't access some programs from
the other users accounts.
 
R

Richard G. Harper

#2
This would depend on the program in question. Some programs install for all
users, others do not. Those that do not would need to be installed
per-user.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@xxxxxx
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"Tmagers" <Tmagers@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:2E2049F7-D101-45AB-8CB2-1E7C86D095F4@xxxxxx

> just created a new user on my laptop and I can't access some programs from
> the other users accounts.
 
F

f/fgeorge

#3
On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:26:48 -0500, "Richard G. Harper"
<rgharper@xxxxxx> wrote:

>This would depend on the program in question. Some programs install for all
>users, others do not. Those that do not would need to be installed
>per-user.
I also have a buddy that has this problem, he has Vista and installed
Office 2007 as an Admin. I then created a User account that he now
uses most of the time but Office does not see the User account. The
actual installation of Office COULD have been done before or after the
creation of the User account, he is unsure. I created the account but
he installed Office. Is there a registry or whatever entry to let all,
or specific, users access a program?
 
R

Richard G. Harper

#4
No there is not, as I said, it depends on how the program installs. It
either installs for everyone, or for a single user; that decision is made at
install time by the installer and/or the person configuring the installer.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@xxxxxx
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/


"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:e2rgq391d9im9cbcnqj3tqsik4hviaffhj@xxxxxx

> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:26:48 -0500, "Richard G. Harper"
> <rgharper@xxxxxx> wrote:
>

>>This would depend on the program in question. Some programs install for
>>all
>>users, others do not. Those that do not would need to be installed
>>per-user.
>
> I also have a buddy that has this problem, he has Vista and installed
> Office 2007 as an Admin. I then created a User account that he now
> uses most of the time but Office does not see the User account. The
> actual installation of Office COULD have been done before or after the
> creation of the User account, he is unsure. I created the account but
> he installed Office. Is there a registry or whatever entry to let all,
> or specific, users access a program?
 
F

f/fgeorge

#5
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:40:53 -0500, "Richard G. Harper"
<rgharper@xxxxxx> wrote:

>No there is not, as I said, it depends on how the program installs. It
>either installs for everyone, or for a single user; that decision is made at
>install time by the installer and/or the person configuring the installer.
Thanks
 
F

f/fgeorge

#6
On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 19:40:53 -0500, "Richard G. Harper"
<rgharper@xxxxxx> wrote:

>No there is not, as I said, it depends on how the program installs. It
>either installs for everyone, or for a single user; that decision is made at
>install time by the installer and/or the person configuring the installer.
Sorry forgot something, this is another reason why the decision for
the UAC was a bad one at this time. If they want people to be users
and not admins most of the time, then they should make ALL programs
install for ALL users. Changes by the admin only, no problem, but to
let companies, or even users, not be able to chose who can use each
and every program is just counter-productive! My buddy is going back
to being an admin full time.