• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How do I clear the Client Side Cache (CSC)

R

R Mears

#1
Hi

Having massive problems with CSC

CSC is not so useful to me as all the data I need to access, lives on a
RAID array in a Win 2k3.

Vista won't let me delete the 20+ GB of data in the CSC, I've only just
found out about it when trying to discover where all my hard disk space
was going. I've tried turing offline files off, but that doesn't clear
the cache. The only reference I can find to it on MS support pages
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938092), which says the data in the
cache is probably ghost files - yes definatly, especially now that I've
turned offline files off altogether. The support page tells me to
contact customer support for a hotfix, but considering customer support
costs £46 for 90 days, frankly I'm appalled.

Please someone help me

TIA
 

My Computer

A

Andrew McLaren

#2
"R Mears mears" <"r<DOTAT> wrote...

> Having massive problems with CSC
> Vista won't let me delete the 20+ GB of data in the CSC, I've only just
> found out about it when trying to discover where all my hard disk space
> was going. I've tried turing offline files off, but that doesn't clear
> the cache. The only reference I can find to it on MS support pages
I dunno if I should be helping any Pommies, after England trounced Australia
in the Rugby. But* ...

First, did you try to deletete cache using the "official" method?:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet, and then click Offline Files.
3. On the General tab, click View your offline files.
4. In the Offline Files folder, right-click the cache of the offline files
that you want to delete, and then click Delete Offline Copy.

That's definitely your first line of attack.

Next, you may be able to get a copy of the 938092 hotfix for free. Use the
link below to submit a hotfix request. You'll probably get a reply within a
few hours (I have, every time I tried it). They will email you a URL from
where you can download the fix.

Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195

(Many thanks to John Inzer, for alerting me to this great facility!).

If you apply the hotfix and it still doesn't solve the problem, or if you
cannot wait to get the hotfix, you can delete the CSC cache manually. This
is a bit messy, so not recommended unless totally necessary.

The files are stored in cache directories, under C:\Windows\CSC

Normally, access to this directory is limited to the Client Side Caching
service; not even the Administrator has ownership or any permissions to the
CSC directory. So, first you need to grant yourself ownership of the CSC
directory. Once you own the directory, you can then grant yourself
full-control permissions to the directory, as well - remember to tick the
option to replace permissions on all descendents, too. Now that you have
permission, you can go into the C:\Windows\CSC directory, and delete the
cache. The directory structure will be pretty obvious when you get in there.
Don't delete the CSC directory itself!! Only the cache sub-directories,
underneath it.

If you want to be thorough, you should remove the permissions to CSC from
yourself again, after you have deleted the files. That will be the secure
option.

Hope it helps,

--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au
 

My Computer

R

R Mears

#3
Andrew McLaren wrote:

> "R Mears mears" <"r<DOTAT> wrote...

>> Having massive problems with CSC
>> Vista won't let me delete the 20+ GB of data in the CSC, I've only just
>> found out about it when trying to discover where all my hard disk space
>> was going. I've tried turing offline files off, but that doesn't clear
>> the cache. The only reference I can find to it on MS support pages
>
> I dunno if I should be helping any Pommies, after England trounced Australia
> in the Rugby. But* ...
>
> First, did you try to deletete cache using the "official" method?:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
> 2. Click Network and Internet, and then click Offline Files.
> 3. On the General tab, click View your offline files.
> 4. In the Offline Files folder, right-click the cache of the offline files
> that you want to delete, and then click Delete Offline Copy.
>
> That's definitely your first line of attack.
>
> Next, you may be able to get a copy of the 938092 hotfix for free. Use the
> link below to submit a hotfix request. You'll probably get a reply within a
> few hours (I have, every time I tried it). They will email you a URL from
> where you can download the fix.
>
> Submit an online request to obtain a Microsoft hotfix
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935195
>
> (Many thanks to John Inzer, for alerting me to this great facility!).
>
> If you apply the hotfix and it still doesn't solve the problem, or if you
> cannot wait to get the hotfix, you can delete the CSC cache manually. This
> is a bit messy, so not recommended unless totally necessary.
>
> The files are stored in cache directories, under C:\Windows\CSC
>
> Normally, access to this directory is limited to the Client Side Caching
> service; not even the Administrator has ownership or any permissions to the
> CSC directory. So, first you need to grant yourself ownership of the CSC
> directory. Once you own the directory, you can then grant yourself
> full-control permissions to the directory, as well - remember to tick the
> option to replace permissions on all descendents, too. Now that you have
> permission, you can go into the C:\Windows\CSC directory, and delete the
> cache. The directory structure will be pretty obvious when you get in there.
> Don't delete the CSC directory itself!! Only the cache sub-directories,
> underneath it.
>
> If you want to be thorough, you should remove the permissions to CSC from
> yourself again, after you have deleted the files. That will be the secure
> option.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
Andrew

1st line of attack was unsuccesful, so have submitted request to MS for
hotfix. I'll wait and see how that goes, then if neccasary will attempt
your 'messy' solution.

Thank you very much :)

Ruari Mears

P.S. Sorry about the rugby, but if it's any consolation, I do rather
like Austrailia and an seriously considering emmigration from this
police state.
 

My Computer

R

R Mears

#4
Andrew McLaren wrote:

> If you apply the hotfix and it still doesn't solve the problem, or if you
> cannot wait to get the hotfix, you can delete the CSC cache manually. This
> is a bit messy, so not recommended unless totally necessary.
>
> The files are stored in cache directories, under C:\Windows\CSC
>
> Normally, access to this directory is limited to the Client Side Caching
> service; not even the Administrator has ownership or any permissions to the
> CSC directory. So, first you need to grant yourself ownership of the CSC
> directory. Once you own the directory, you can then grant yourself
> full-control permissions to the directory, as well - remember to tick the
> option to replace permissions on all descendents, too. Now that you have
> permission, you can go into the C:\Windows\CSC directory, and delete the
> cache. The directory structure will be pretty obvious when you get in there.
> Don't delete the CSC directory itself!! Only the cache sub-directories,
> underneath it.
>
> If you want to be thorough, you should remove the permissions to CSC from
> yourself again, after you have deleted the files. That will be the secure
> option.
>
> Hope it helps,
>
Hi Andrew

The MS hotfix did diddily squat, although knowledge of that procedure
will most likely be useful in the future.

Your 'messy solution' was the one :)

Thanks loads
 

My Computer

N

Nick Simpson

#5
Here's a trick I use to clear the CSC when I have CSC db corruption or the
like. I have it saved as csc.reg and just run it in an elevated prompt:
---Begin csc.reg---
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parameters]
"FormatDatabase"=dword:00000001
---End csc.reg---
After restarting my computer, my CSC cache is empty.

Nick


"R Mears" <rDOTmears@xxxxxx-lutionDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
news:emwsTQpCIHA.3332@xxxxxx

> Andrew McLaren wrote:
>

>> If you apply the hotfix and it still doesn't solve the problem, or if you
>> cannot wait to get the hotfix, you can delete the CSC cache manually.
>> This is a bit messy, so not recommended unless totally necessary.
>>
>> The files are stored in cache directories, under C:\Windows\CSC
>>
>> Normally, access to this directory is limited to the Client Side Caching
>> service; not even the Administrator has ownership or any permissions to
>> the CSC directory. So, first you need to grant yourself ownership of the
>> CSC directory. Once you own the directory, you can then grant yourself
>> full-control permissions to the directory, as well - remember to tick the
>> option to replace permissions on all descendents, too. Now that you have
>> permission, you can go into the C:\Windows\CSC directory, and delete the
>> cache. The directory structure will be pretty obvious when you get in
>> there. Don't delete the CSC directory itself!! Only the cache
>> sub-directories, underneath it.
>>
>> If you want to be thorough, you should remove the permissions to CSC from
>> yourself again, after you have deleted the files. That will be the secure
>> option.
>>
>> Hope it helps,
>>
> Hi Andrew
>
> The MS hotfix did diddily squat, although knowledge of that procedure
> will most likely be useful in the future.
>
> Your 'messy solution' was the one :)
>
> Thanks loads
 

My Computer

A

Andrew McLaren

#6
"Nick Simpson" <nick@xxxxxx> wrote ...

> Here's a trick I use to clear the CSC when I have CSC db corruption or the
> like. I have it saved as csc.reg and just run it in an elevated prompt:
Excellent, great tip! Many thanks, Nick.


> "R Mears" <rDOTmears@xxxxxx-lutionDOTcoDOTuk> wrote...

>> Your 'messy solution' was the one :)
Hey Ruari

With a good Celtic name like "Ruari", I apologise for associating you with
the Sassenachs of England :) Particularly after Scotland went down to
Argentina the next day.

Glad the info helps, that's good to know. I must admit, I'll be trying
Nick's suggestion next time I get a bloated CSC cache.

Cheers,
--
Andrew McLaren
amclar (at) optusnet dot com dot au
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)