How do you restore files from an incomplete/corrupt Vista backup

C

Crexis

Hope someone can point me in the right direction on this one:

Basically, we had a new Vista Business PC that was misbehaving and dog slow.
After trying all sorts of tweaks with virt mem, AV, themes, etc I decided to
do a reinstall.

It is a Asus P5LDT-TVM board (Intel 945G chipset) with a Dual Core (PD-935)
3Ghz CPU, 512Mb (DDR2-667) RAM & 80Gb SATA 7200rpm HDD. I know the RAM is a
little on the low side but I have a duplicate machine that wasn't giving the
same problems.

Anyway, I told my assistant to make a backup of all the personal files, mail
etc which he did with Vista Backup. He set the destination to the same
machine by browsing to it through the network (I'm sure some of you are
groaning around about now but in his defence, it was fine in terms of what we
wanted to do). He then moved the backup to a network drive and this is where
the problem occurs. The backup created a folder with the machine name in
which was a Media???.bin file and a folder called Backup Set blah +date,
which contains the files and catalogues. What he moved was the Backup set
folder. Then he did a complete reinstall of Vista. Now Vista Restore refuses
to see the Backup set as a valid backup. I have had a look at the files and
see that it basically created a whole string of zip files. So, I thought, no
worries, we'll just manually extract the zips. Well, cut a long story short I
don't know why MS felt it was necessary to do this but it appears that the
backup process makes zip sets and breaks large files into smaller pieces!
What a pain in the proverbial! So I have hunted the net trying to find what
process is used to create the zips but to no avail. I guess what I'm looking
for is something that will allow me to extract the zip sets or a way to force
Vista Restore to use the backup set as it is. Any of you brainiacs out there
able to put me out of my misery & save my assistant from a public flogging?

TIA
 

My Computer

J

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Sorry to hear about this. In general, copying the backups is not
recommended. It sounds like you are missing your mediaid.bin file, which
serves as a "backup label" (analogous to the volume label) so Backup knows
what is what.

The copy command has parameters for reassembling files. It's something like
copy /b foor.bar%1 + foo.bar%2 (and so on) foo.bar. There might be
third-party tools that will do this as well.


--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.


"Crexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Hope someone can point me in the right direction on this one:
>
> Basically, we had a new Vista Business PC that was misbehaving and dog
> slow.
> After trying all sorts of tweaks with virt mem, AV, themes, etc I decided
> to
> do a reinstall.
>
> It is a Asus P5LDT-TVM board (Intel 945G chipset) with a Dual Core
> (PD-935)
> 3Ghz CPU, 512Mb (DDR2-667) RAM & 80Gb SATA 7200rpm HDD. I know the RAM is
> a
> little on the low side but I have a duplicate machine that wasn't giving
> the
> same problems.
>
> Anyway, I told my assistant to make a backup of all the personal files,
> mail
> etc which he did with Vista Backup. He set the destination to the same
> machine by browsing to it through the network (I'm sure some of you are
> groaning around about now but in his defence, it was fine in terms of what
> we
> wanted to do). He then moved the backup to a network drive and this is
> where
> the problem occurs. The backup created a folder with the machine name in
> which was a Media???.bin file and a folder called Backup Set blah +date,
> which contains the files and catalogues. What he moved was the Backup set
> folder. Then he did a complete reinstall of Vista. Now Vista Restore
> refuses
> to see the Backup set as a valid backup. I have had a look at the files
> and
> see that it basically created a whole string of zip files. So, I thought,
> no
> worries, we'll just manually extract the zips. Well, cut a long story
> short I
> don't know why MS felt it was necessary to do this but it appears that the
> backup process makes zip sets and breaks large files into smaller pieces!
> What a pain in the proverbial! So I have hunted the net trying to find
> what
> process is used to create the zips but to no avail. I guess what I'm
> looking
> for is something that will allow me to extract the zip sets or a way to
> force
> Vista Restore to use the backup set as it is. Any of you brainiacs out
> there
> able to put me out of my misery & save my assistant from a public
> flogging?
>
> TIA
 

My Computer

C

Crexis

Re: How do you restore files from an incomplete/corrupt Vista back

Thanks for the response Jill,

Is it not possible to perhaps fake a Mediaid.bin file? Iif that is the
problem then that is the only file that is missing from the backup set.

Rgds,

Crexis.

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Sorry to hear about this. In general, copying the backups is not
> recommended. It sounds like you are missing your mediaid.bin file, which
> serves as a "backup label" (analogous to the volume label) so Backup knows
> what is what.
>
> The copy command has parameters for reassembling files. It's something like
> copy /b foor.bar%1 + foo.bar%2 (and so on) foo.bar. There might be
> third-party tools that will do this as well.
 

My Computer

J

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: How do you restore files from an incomplete/corrupt Vista back

Not that I'm aware of. I got the impression that there are other
dependencies as well (though I need to check on this).

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.


"Crexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks for the response Jill,
>
> Is it not possible to perhaps fake a Mediaid.bin file? Iif that is the
> problem then that is the only file that is missing from the backup set.
>
> Rgds,
>
> Crexis.
>
> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Sorry to hear about this. In general, copying the backups is not
>> recommended. It sounds like you are missing your mediaid.bin file, which
>> serves as a "backup label" (analogous to the volume label) so Backup
>> knows
>> what is what.
>>
>> The copy command has parameters for reassembling files. It's something
>> like
>> copy /b foor.bar%1 + foo.bar%2 (and so on) foo.bar. There might be
>> third-party tools that will do this as well.

>
 

My Computer

J

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: How do you restore files from an incomplete/corrupt Vista back

Fyi, we're going to write up a procedure on moving backups, but I can't give
you an ETA yet.

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.


"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Not that I'm aware of. I got the impression that there are other
> dependencies as well (though I need to check on this).
>
> --
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.
>
> Want to learn more about Windows file and storage technologies? Visit our
> team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>
>
> "Crexis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Thanks for the response Jill,
>>
>> Is it not possible to perhaps fake a Mediaid.bin file? Iif that is the
>> problem then that is the only file that is missing from the backup set.
>>
>> Rgds,
>>
>> Crexis.
>>
>> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry to hear about this. In general, copying the backups is not
>>> recommended. It sounds like you are missing your mediaid.bin file, which
>>> serves as a "backup label" (analogous to the volume label) so Backup
>>> knows
>>> what is what.
>>>
>>> The copy command has parameters for reassembling files. It's something
>>> like
>>> copy /b foor.bar%1 + foo.bar%2 (and so on) foo.bar. There might be
>>> third-party tools that will do this as well.

>>

>
 

My Computer

C

Crexis

Re: How do you restore files from an incomplete/corrupt Vista back

Well, that'd be great. Unfortunately, in my case I suspect it will be a
stable door - bolting horse scenario :(

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> Fyi, we're going to write up a procedure on moving backups, but I can't give
> you an ETA yet.
>
> --
 

My Computer

L

lisha agrawal

actually my pc was corrupted so got it formatted n b4 formatting i took
a back up so now when everything's fine if i'll restore the back up of
that corrupted pc will it again get corrupt ..pls reply soon.. i need
the files .. urgently.. ..


--
lisha agrawal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
lisha agrawal's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/169290.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-performance/706811.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

Top