• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to care for a DSL modem

B

broccolibeef

#1
This question does NOT have anything to do with Vista. Because I cannot find
a good place to ask this question, I am trying it here.

The question is as the subject line: how to care for a DSL modem? Should I
turn it off after I am done with an internet session--or at least during the
night when I am sleeping, or should I leave it on all the time?

I live in Los Angeles and am using the ATT Yahoo DSL. One of their tech
support guys told me that I should power it down when I am not using it,
because the heat that is otherwise caused can shorten the modem's life.
Another of their tech support person told me that I should leave it on, and
he has related to me that is what he has done and that his modem has lasted
him six years now and counting!

So what should I do? To leave the modem on all the time, or should I turn
it off after an internet session or at least during the night when I am not
using it?

Hope someone can drop me a clue here! Thansk in advance!
 

My Computer

M

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

#2
I always leave mine powered up, but I also leave my system powered up too..


"broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9E52B8D7-5DEF-4DF5-B757-FA9B4B034FAD@microsoft.com...
> This question does NOT have anything to do with Vista. Because I cannot
> find
> a good place to ask this question, I am trying it here.
>
> The question is as the subject line: how to care for a DSL modem? Should
> I
> turn it off after I am done with an internet session--or at least during
> the
> night when I am sleeping, or should I leave it on all the time?
>
> I live in Los Angeles and am using the ATT Yahoo DSL. One of their tech
> support guys told me that I should power it down when I am not using it,
> because the heat that is otherwise caused can shorten the modem's life.
> Another of their tech support person told me that I should leave it on,
> and
> he has related to me that is what he has done and that his modem has
> lasted
> him six years now and counting!
>
> So what should I do? To leave the modem on all the time, or should I turn
> it off after an internet session or at least during the night when I am
> not
> using it?
>
> Hope someone can drop me a clue here! Thansk in advance!
>
>
 

My Computer

R

Richard Urban

#3
Totally your call. If your computer is properly protected with a firewall,
antivirus program, anti spyware program you can leave it on indefinitely.

If you want to be "green" and save 15 watts - turn it off. I have never seen
a modem that had a heat problem, unless someone placed a book on top of it.

--


Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Quote from George Ankner:
If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!



"broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9E52B8D7-5DEF-4DF5-B757-FA9B4B034FAD@microsoft.com...
> This question does NOT have anything to do with Vista. Because I cannot
> find
> a good place to ask this question, I am trying it here.
>
> The question is as the subject line: how to care for a DSL modem? Should
> I
> turn it off after I am done with an internet session--or at least during
> the
> night when I am sleeping, or should I leave it on all the time?
>
> I live in Los Angeles and am using the ATT Yahoo DSL. One of their tech
> support guys told me that I should power it down when I am not using it,
> because the heat that is otherwise caused can shorten the modem's life.
> Another of their tech support person told me that I should leave it on,
> and
> he has related to me that is what he has done and that his modem has
> lasted
> him six years now and counting!
>
> So what should I do? To leave the modem on all the time, or should I turn
> it off after an internet session or at least during the night when I am
> not
> using it?
>
> Hope someone can drop me a clue here! Thansk in advance!
>
>
 

My Computer

B

broccolibeef

#4
Thanks for the reply! So no concern on your part about the heat in the modem
and that the heat might shorten the modem's life?

FYI, my modem is a Siemens Speedstrem 4100.

Thanks again!

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:

> I always leave mine powered up, but I also leave my system powered up too..
>
>
> "broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:9E52B8D7-5DEF-4DF5-B757-FA9B4B034FAD@microsoft.com...
> > This question does NOT have anything to do with Vista. Because I cannot
> > find
> > a good place to ask this question, I am trying it here.
> >
> > The question is as the subject line: how to care for a DSL modem? Should
> > I
> > turn it off after I am done with an internet session--or at least during
> > the
> > night when I am sleeping, or should I leave it on all the time?
> >
> > I live in Los Angeles and am using the ATT Yahoo DSL. One of their tech
> > support guys told me that I should power it down when I am not using it,
> > because the heat that is otherwise caused can shorten the modem's life.
> > Another of their tech support person told me that I should leave it on,
> > and
> > he has related to me that is what he has done and that his modem has
> > lasted
> > him six years now and counting!
> >
> > So what should I do? To leave the modem on all the time, or should I turn
> > it off after an internet session or at least during the night when I am
> > not
> > using it?
> >
> > Hope someone can drop me a clue here! Thansk in advance!
> >
> >

>
>
 

My Computer

D

Dustin Harper

#5
Modem's don't get too hot, unless they are in a place where they are covered
or cramped. So, that shouldn't be an issue.

But, you do have to realize that when the modem is on, you are open to the
internet. So make sure your firewall and antivirus are installed and up to
date.

You can turn it off at night or when you are done, it doesn't really matter.
I leave mine on 24/7, as do many others.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

--
"broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DD2EE4F4-BA2D-4679-BEAE-3C8EF67259F8@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for the reply! So no concern on your part about the heat in the
> modem
> and that the heat might shorten the modem's life?
>
> FYI, my modem is a Siemens Speedstrem 4100.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:
>
>> I always leave mine powered up, but I also leave my system powered up
>> too..
>>
>>
>> "broccolibeef" <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:9E52B8D7-5DEF-4DF5-B757-FA9B4B034FAD@microsoft.com...
>> > This question does NOT have anything to do with Vista. Because I
>> > cannot
>> > find
>> > a good place to ask this question, I am trying it here.
>> >
>> > The question is as the subject line: how to care for a DSL modem?
>> > Should
>> > I
>> > turn it off after I am done with an internet session--or at least
>> > during
>> > the
>> > night when I am sleeping, or should I leave it on all the time?
>> >
>> > I live in Los Angeles and am using the ATT Yahoo DSL. One of their
>> > tech
>> > support guys told me that I should power it down when I am not using
>> > it,
>> > because the heat that is otherwise caused can shorten the modem's life.
>> > Another of their tech support person told me that I should leave it on,
>> > and
>> > he has related to me that is what he has done and that his modem has
>> > lasted
>> > him six years now and counting!
>> >
>> > So what should I do? To leave the modem on all the time, or should I
>> > turn
>> > it off after an internet session or at least during the night when I am
>> > not
>> > using it?
>> >
>> > Hope someone can drop me a clue here! Thansk in advance!
>> >
>> >

>>
>>
 

My Computer

S

Steve Urbach

#6
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 02:24:05 -0800, broccolibeef
<broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>So what should I do? To leave the modem on all the time, or should I turn
>it off after an internet session or at least during the night when I am not
>using it?

Others have mentioned having a good firewall (or use a NAT router).

If your modem install was like mine, the ISP recommended leaving it on
continuously in the first days so the system could optimize itself.
Turning it off (or rebooting the CPU) interrupted this and the process
would start again.
It must have worked <G>, my DSL is fast 2.4Mbps and really stable.

If all else fails: "Try the directions" <G>
 

My Computer

B

broccolibeef

#7
Thanks to everyone who has replied! There is no book or anything on top of
or around the modem. It was one tech support guy from ATT Yahoo DSL who
warned me of the heat problem in the modem.

I do have firewall, antivirus, and malware protection software in place.
Further, my habit is that after an internet session, I disconnect by
disabling the network card. Hope this is the right process as well!

Thanks again to everyone who has replied!

"Steve Urbach" wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 02:24:05 -0800, broccolibeef
> <broccolibeef@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >So what should I do? To leave the modem on all the time, or should I turn
> >it off after an internet session or at least during the night when I am not
> >using it?

> Others have mentioned having a good firewall (or use a NAT router).
>
> If your modem install was like mine, the ISP recommended leaving it on
> continuously in the first days so the system could optimize itself.
> Turning it off (or rebooting the CPU) interrupted this and the process
> would start again.
> It must have worked <G>, my DSL is fast 2.4Mbps and really stable.
>
> If all else fails: "Try the directions" <G>
>
>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)