• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

how to change sort order of folders in Storage Folder

R

R. C. White

#2
Hi, bksgs1.

"bksgs1" <bksgs1@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:6374FC40-81A1-4827-8262-56CC14DCF2C4@newsgroup

> How do I rearrange/sort the folders in Storage Folders ?
Just drag'n'drop them into the order you prefer. ;<)
BUT, that won't stick. :>(
Next time WLM starts, they will be back in the original order again.
Storage Folders will still come AFTER Quick views and all your Mail
Accounts.

That's one of the most-requested features for WLM, but I've heard no
promises that the WLM Team will grant the request.

In the meantime, recognize that the "built-in" folders (Drafts, Sent items,
Deleted items, Imported folder, Recovered items) will come first, and in
that order. Then the folders we create will come next, in alphabetical
order and organized as a tree. So we have control over this sequence by
our naming of the folders - and subfolders.

For myself, I've created a single "Mail Folders" folder with many subfolders
(Business, Family, Microsoft, etc.). Some of those subfolders have
subfolders (Microsoft: MSN, MVP, Support, etc.). I can control the order
of these folders by changing their names or by dragging subfolders to other
folders.

Hmmm... I thought that I created "Mail Folders", but it is listed before
Recovered items, so maybe it was a built-in folder - but it has been so long
since I first installed WLM that I don’t recall for sure. Also, the final
folder on my list is "Saved News"; I created this to store a few specific
Newsgroup posts, which otherwise would disappear when the news server
deletes them.

That's probably more than you wanted to know, but maybe it will give you
some ideas for organizing your own Storage Folders.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@newsgroup
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
 
D

dbcolorado

#5
That works for just making new folders, but I'm trying to create sub-folders
under one of my folders. Any other ways? Thank you.
 
R

R. C. White

#6
Hi, dbcolorado.

"dbcolorado" <dbcolorado@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:25FD2DE0-DA3D-47AC-9CF4-27D34C26A79A@newsgroup

>
> How do you create sub-folders and sub-folders of those sub-folders?
> Thank you.
Probably the easiest way is to right-click the message that you want to Move
to a new subfolder, then Move to folder... and Browse to Storage Folders and
click New Folder. The basic technique is the same as creating
folders/subfolders in Windows Explorer.

Let's try an example: Suppose we want to create a new folder for Family and
a subfolder for Uncle Joe. With WLMail open to the Mail window, right-click
on Storage Folders. Click New folder... The Create Folder window pops up
with our cursor in the Folder name box. Type in "Family" (without the
quotes, of course), then click OK. The new Family folder now exists as a
top-level folder under Storage Folders, probably right below Deleted items.
Right-click on Family, type "Uncle Joe" into the Folder name box and click
OK. Now you should see the Uncle Joe subfolder under Family.

If your subfolder gets created under the wrong folder, just drag and drop it
to the higher-level folder of your choice.

For better organization, first create a top-level folder (under Storage
Folders) named something like "Mail Folders", then right-click on Mail
Folders and create the Family folder under that, with Uncle Joe becoming, I
suppose, a sub-sub-sub-folder (Storage Folders/Mail Folders/Family/Uncle
Joe). As with most things in Windows, possible variations are endless and
what fits me won't make you happy - so make your system fit you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@newsgroup
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
 
R

R. C. White

#7
Hi, again, dbcolorado.

Same way.

As I just said in my longer Reply.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@newsgroup
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"dbcolorado" <dbcolorado@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:D8157248-C685-404C-8318-B642A0D0E740@newsgroup

> That works for just making new folders, but I'm trying to create
> sub-folders
> under one of my folders. Any other ways? Thank you.
 
D

dbcolorado

#8
Thank you. I was trying to do just that (sub-folders)under my main account
where I have created folders and it did not work.
I didn't know you had to do it under Storage Folders.
 
B

bksgs1

#9
Noted.
One addnl query - Is there a way to set WLM to go directly to a specific
folder when it is launched.

rgds
Gopal



"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, bksgs1.
>
> "bksgs1" <bksgs1@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:6374FC40-81A1-4827-8262-56CC14DCF2C4@newsgroup

> > How do I rearrange/sort the folders in Storage Folders ?
>
> Just drag'n'drop them into the order you prefer. ;<)
> BUT, that won't stick. :>(
> Next time WLM starts, they will be back in the original order again.
> Storage Folders will still come AFTER Quick views and all your Mail
> Accounts.
>
> That's one of the most-requested features for WLM, but I've heard no
> promises that the WLM Team will grant the request.
>
> In the meantime, recognize that the "built-in" folders (Drafts, Sent items,
> Deleted items, Imported folder, Recovered items) will come first, and in
> that order. Then the folders we create will come next, in alphabetical
> order and organized as a tree. So we have control over this sequence by
> our naming of the folders - and subfolders.
>
> For myself, I've created a single "Mail Folders" folder with many subfolders
> (Business, Family, Microsoft, etc.). Some of those subfolders have
> subfolders (Microsoft: MSN, MVP, Support, etc.). I can control the order
> of these folders by changing their names or by dragging subfolders to other
> folders.
>
> Hmmm... I thought that I created "Mail Folders", but it is listed before
> Recovered items, so maybe it was a built-in folder - but it has been so long
> since I first installed WLM that I don’t recall for sure. Also, the final
> folder on my list is "Saved News"; I created this to store a few specific
> Newsgroup posts, which otherwise would disappear when the news server
> deletes them.
>
> That's probably more than you wanted to know, but maybe it will give you
> some ideas for organizing your own Storage Folders.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@newsgroup
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>
>
 
R

R. C. White

#10
Hi, Gopal.

None that I know of - but some of the gurus here know tricks that I don't,
so...maybe. ;^}

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@newsgroup
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"bksgs1" <bksgs1@newsgroup> wrote in message
news:74BF36A2-EEDC-4BCB-BF5E-A66C87796118@newsgroup

> Noted.
> One addnl query - Is there a way to set WLM to go directly to a specific
> folder when it is launched.
>
> rgds
> Gopal
>
>
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>

>> Hi, bksgs1.
>>
>> "bksgs1" <bksgs1@newsgroup> wrote in message
>> news:6374FC40-81A1-4827-8262-56CC14DCF2C4@newsgroup

>> > How do I rearrange/sort the folders in Storage Folders ?
>>
>> Just drag'n'drop them into the order you prefer. ;<)
>> BUT, that won't stick. :>(
>> Next time WLM starts, they will be back in the original order again.
>> Storage Folders will still come AFTER Quick views and all your Mail
>> Accounts.
>>
>> That's one of the most-requested features for WLM, but I've heard no
>> promises that the WLM Team will grant the request.
>>
>> In the meantime, recognize that the "built-in" folders (Drafts, Sent
>> items,
>> Deleted items, Imported folder, Recovered items) will come first, and in
>> that order. Then the folders we create will come next, in alphabetical
>> order and organized as a tree. So we have control over this sequence
>> by
>> our naming of the folders - and subfolders.
>>
>> For myself, I've created a single "Mail Folders" folder with many
>> subfolders
>> (Business, Family, Microsoft, etc.). Some of those subfolders have
>> subfolders (Microsoft: MSN, MVP, Support, etc.). I can control the
>> order
>> of these folders by changing their names or by dragging subfolders to
>> other
>> folders.
>>
>> Hmmm... I thought that I created "Mail Folders", but it is listed before
>> Recovered items, so maybe it was a built-in folder - but it has been so
>> long
>> since I first installed WLM that I don’t recall for sure. Also, the
>> final
>> folder on my list is "Saved News"; I created this to store a few specific
>> Newsgroup posts, which otherwise would disappear when the news server
>> deletes them.
>>
>> That's probably more than you wanted to know, but maybe it will give you
>> some ideas for organizing your own Storage Folders.
>>
>> RC
 
K

kaokim

#11
Another "ordering" questions...I have subfolders that have dates as their
titles. Previously, as I added new dated subfolders and collapsed the main
folder, the dates would magically order them selves. However, since I moved
to Windows Live Email, this doesn't happen. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, bksgs1.
>
> "bksgs1" <bksgs1@newsgroup> wrote in message
> news:6374FC40-81A1-4827-8262-56CC14DCF2C4@newsgroup

> > How do I rearrange/sort the folders in Storage Folders ?
>
> Just drag'n'drop them into the order you prefer. ;<)
> BUT, that won't stick. :>(
> Next time WLM starts, they will be back in the original order again.
> Storage Folders will still come AFTER Quick views and all your Mail
> Accounts.
>
> That's one of the most-requested features for WLM, but I've heard no
> promises that the WLM Team will grant the request.
>
> In the meantime, recognize that the "built-in" folders (Drafts, Sent items,
> Deleted items, Imported folder, Recovered items) will come first, and in
> that order. Then the folders we create will come next, in alphabetical
> order and organized as a tree. So we have control over this sequence by
> our naming of the folders - and subfolders.
>
> For myself, I've created a single "Mail Folders" folder with many subfolders
> (Business, Family, Microsoft, etc.). Some of those subfolders have
> subfolders (Microsoft: MSN, MVP, Support, etc.). I can control the order
> of these folders by changing their names or by dragging subfolders to other
> folders.
>
> Hmmm... I thought that I created "Mail Folders", but it is listed before
> Recovered items, so maybe it was a built-in folder - but it has been so long
> since I first installed WLM that I don’t recall for sure. Also, the final
> folder on my list is "Saved News"; I created this to store a few specific
> Newsgroup posts, which otherwise would disappear when the news server
> deletes them.
>
> That's probably more than you wanted to know, but maybe it will give you
> some ideas for organizing your own Storage Folders.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@newsgroup
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>
>