HOW-TO: Dungeon Keeper 2 in Vista

A

Andy

For those having trouble with Dungeon Keeper 2.

Install DK2
Download patch from ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/archive/bullfrog/patches/dk2/
(v1.70)
Right click Desktop Icon, Choose Properties.
Compatibility, set to Windows XP SP2 mode
Check Disable visual themes and desktop composition
Click OK
Run Game.

Worked for me, hope it works for you,
A.

My Computer

A

Andy [YaYa]

Wow, great little site. I may have to try this game again. I seem to recall
getting this game running was a bit harder than disabling visual themes and
desktop composition, but I may be wrong.

--
-A.

My Computer

CaliannG

Thanks to your lovely advise, I finally managed to get DK2 to PLAY on my Vista laptop...now I am having other problems that I have not had before.

DK2 worked fine on Vista before i installed the update. I LIKE my Maidens and Elite Creatures. After I installed the update, nothing.

After following your instructions, it at least boots up, gets me INTO the game, acts like it is working properly...there is simply one problem:

No picture where you look at your dungeon heart or click areas to be dug out. Nothing. Just the Hand of Evil waving over blackness no matter where you put it.

Everything ELSE shows. All the control panels and everything. Just nothing in the center.

Am I doomed to play DK2 without the updates, without the neat stuff, forever?

Peace,
Caliann

P.S. I ran the Update v5.0 package.

My Computer

CaliannG

That is very wonderful for you. I wish it had worked so well for me.

I would still like to know if there is something I can do to get the picture back on DK2....I would very much like to play it WITH the updates.

Peace,
Caliann

My Computer

tnuts

I am having the same problem with the picture, my tools and edges show up but the dungeon heart or areas dug out show nothing. i have tried playing with the display settings to no avail, and ran the same update package. does anyone know of a fix for this?

My Computer

tnuts

hey, i don't know if you've figured it out or not, but i'd been having the same problem, and turning off "hardware acceleration" in the game options worked for me. hopefully it helps.

My Computer

CaliannG

hey, i don't know if you've figured it out or not, but i'd been having the same problem, and turning off "hardware acceleration" in the game options worked for me. hopefully it helps!

You are a knight and a gentleman, and I am indebted to you! Thank you! That did the trick and now it works! I get to play with maidens and everything!

Whooo-hooo! Time to spend 2 weeks not speaking to my family!

Peace,
Caliann

My Computer

Bpotter

hey, i don't know if you've figured it out or not, but i'd been having the same problem, and turning off "hardware acceleration" in the game options worked for me. hopefully it helps!

You are a knight and a gentleman, and I am indebted to you! Thank you! That did the trick and now it works! I get to play with maidens and everything!

Whooo-hooo! Time to spend 2 weeks not speaking to my family!

Peace,
Caliann

I have followed all instructions on this fourm and they have helped me play the game with the latest patch, however I am experincing a lot of crahses in game, the crashses only occur when I have clicked on a random item on the tool bar, or I have used a hotkey to open them, anyone have any ideas how I can fix this?
I know this is an old thread however the infomation contained within should be helpful to others who can help me fix my problem. I love DK2!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    ACER ASPIRE M1610

Hawkknight88

Hey guys,

This game has been such a classic for me and this forum helped me run it on my Vista machines. I never could get it to work properly, it always seemed to crash by clicking the Objectives menu or when the game got too big.

Anyways, I'm now running Windows 7 (64 bit), and the game works PERFECTLY for me.
-Run it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode
-Disable Visual Themes
-Disable Desktop composition
-I have water translucency and environment mapping turned off in game
-Hardware Acceleration is ON. It crashed when turned off.
--Please note, I had hardware acceleration ON and it seemed to function just fine. Also you can play with the QSound option if the audio is funny.

Windows 7 has a downloadable Virtual Machine which can run XP, I tried this first to run DKII but it didn't run at all for me... so thank goodness windows 7 runs it fine anyhow.

Good luck everybody! Here's hoping for DKIII.
(Mods please leave this post to help all DKII fans out there)

-Hawkknight88

Last edited:

My Computer

Orlander

Thanks for the post, Hawkknight88. I am also running Win 7 - 64 and was able to get DK2 running using your setting except I have to turn off hardware acceleration in the game or else I will not get any video except the hand pointer, like others mentioned previously. I can leave water translucency and environment mapping on in the game and it works just right.

If you are having problems finding the V1.7 patch, I got mine from this short cut - http://updates.mastertronicdownloads.com/Misc/DK2_Patch_V1-2006109094755T38C3.7_SO.exe (worked just now) or do a google search and you will have to pick through the listings to find one that doesn't want to charge you for the privilege of the download.

Good luck and thanks to the posters!

My Computer

Preston111

I am also having many problems with it crashing from clicking on random buttons trying to save it or build something... it is quite frustrating as i LOVE this game

I am on a Vista Laptop
It runs other newer games fine.

It has the 1.7v patch and is the silver edition

i have tried to disable themes and desktop composition and run in many many compatability modes!

Any other solutions please or anyone who had the same problems please contact me..
also from ^^^^ where can i get a virtual windows 7? :)

[email removed by admin] < < Contact me with information please! :(

I MISS THIS GAME!! D:

My Computer

Orlander

I don't know what the differences might be or if it even matters but the DKII version I have that seems to work, at least in Win 7, is from Sold Out Software and says "Windows Vista compatible" on the box cover.

I couldn't seem to get my original DKII, bought around 2000, to work well in XP (lots of video problems) and only recently replaced that copy with this one. Couldn't tell you if the old copy works under Win 7 or not.

My Computer

N

nbmiii

follwed exactly what you said and DK2 Works fine in Windows 7 64 bit.

nbmiii

"Hawkknight88" wrote:

>
> Hey guys,
>
> This game has been such a classic for me and this forum helped me run
> it on my Vista machines. I never could get it to work properly, it
> always seemed to crash by clicking the Objectives menu or when the game
> got too big.
>
> Anyways, I'm now running Windows 7 (64 bit), and the game works
> PERFECTLY for me.
> -Run it in Windows 2000 compatibility mode
> -Disable Visual Themes
> -Disable Desktop composition
> -I have everything turned off in game: water translucency, environment
> mapping, and hardware acceleration.
> --Please note, I had hardware acceleration ON and it seemed to function
> just fine. Also you can play with the QSound option if the audio is
> funny.
>
> Windows 7 has a downloadable Virtual Machine which can run XP, I tried
> this first to run DKII but it didn't run at all for me... so thank
> goodness windows 7 runs it fine anyhow.
>
> Good luck everybody! Here's hoping for DKIII.
> (Mods please leave this post to help all DKII fans out there)
>
> -Hawkknight88
>
>
> --
> Hawkknight88
> .
>

My Computer