how to improve disk queue length vista

O

Or Tsemah

Vista's health report reported that Avg. Disk queue length is 2.
What can be done to imrove it (Not Defraging the disk) ?

Thanks

--
Or Tsemah
YSIDE
 

My Computer

F

Fat Bastard

Disk Queue Length means that the disk cannot keep up with the data that is
being read to or written from it. Unless defragging helps, you need faster
disk access. This means a faster disk or some sort of RAID setup.


"Or Tsemah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Vista's health report reported that Avg. Disk queue length is 2.
> What can be done to imrove it (Not Defraging the disk) ?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Or Tsemah
> YSIDE
 

My Computer

R

Robert Moir

"Or Tsemah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Vista's health report reported that Avg. Disk queue length is 2.
> What can be done to imrove it (Not Defraging the disk) ?


Buy more physical disks and spread your data over them.

I'm assuming then that your disks are not badly fragmented, and that you've
checked for updated disk controller drivers and other obvious areas of poor
disk I/O performance.

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com
 

My Computer

O

Or Tsemah

Yes,
I've updated the Controller driver and defragged the disk.

This report happened on both my computers.

Or.
"Robert Moir" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
>
> "Or Tsemah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> Vista's health report reported that Avg. Disk queue length is 2.
>> What can be done to imrove it (Not Defraging the disk) ?

>
> Buy more physical disks and spread your data over them.
>
> I'm assuming then that your disks are not badly fragmented, and that
> you've checked for updated disk controller drivers and other obvious areas
> of poor disk I/O performance.
>
> --
> Robert Moir
> http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com
>


--
Or Tsemah
YSIDE
 

My Computer

R

Robert Moir

"Or Tsemah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Yes,
> I've updated the Controller driver and defragged the disk.
>
> This report happened on both my computers.


You were not doing anything prior to running this report that would by its
nature push that average up would you?

For example, I have a 50Gb music collection. If I decide to copy it from one
hard disk to another to create a backup, this is going to hammer the heck
out of my system for a while and anything that I run afterwards that
analyses my 'average system usage' is going to be biased because of what
I've just done, the usage pattern for leaving that file copy "backup"
running while I go outside for a walk is obviously very different to how it
would look today sitting here replying to your message with itunes on in the
background.

If this really is from just your "normal" use then consider if all the apps
and services running are the ones you want to be running. And that your AV
and AntiSpyware aren't set to an overly paranoid level that means they're
beating your disks continually.

And after all that, if you're still seeing this figure *and* you're actually
unhappy with the 'real world' performance of the machine then consider a
new, additional hard disk would be my advice.
--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com
 

My Computer

J

jannerhank

--
jannerhank
Ok I had a blue screen of death several times whan I run
the dianostic program in Vista it shows 'Avg Disk Queue Lenght 4P min 2 max
16 (sometmes the max reads 8).

I have tried a Gigabyte, ASRock and a MSI motherboard (all New) also 2 of
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 7200 SATA2 Hard Disks; ( WD2500KS which has a
16MB buffer) also WD2500JS (which has a 8MB buffer). Also 2 of Samsung
Spinpoint 160GB Hard Disk both SATA2

None of these showed any problem with the Beta or RC1 or RC2 Vista. Yes I
used both Vista defrag also AusLogics Disk Defrag. No its not the memory
unless Corsair matched pair of modules have the same fault. Also tried
Samsung as well NO difference.

So:-

Not the motherboard; not the memory; not the hard disks; constant monitoring
of temperatures of system and Processor none exceeded 50C; all SATA leads
have been replaced; 3 different makes of Power Supplies . No I don't use it
for games of intensive work, mainly emails and about 10% photo retouching.

I have been in electronic for 40 years as a both Military and civilian
avionics technician on radar radio and other systems. 14 years of use on
computers building 3 or 4 P.C.'s a year and repairing many others. Basically
I am not dumb and have had the best training and lots of pratice.

I know its not me that is screwing up. I feel its something in Vista that
needs tweeking!!!

[email protected]


"Robert Moir" wrote:

>
> "Or Tsemah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Yes,
> > I've updated the Controller driver and defragged the disk.
> >
> > This report happened on both my computers.

>
> You were not doing anything prior to running this report that would by its
> nature push that average up would you?
>
> For example, I have a 50Gb music collection. If I decide to copy it from one
> hard disk to another to create a backup, this is going to hammer the heck
> out of my system for a while and anything that I run afterwards that
> analyses my 'average system usage' is going to be biased because of what
> I've just done, the usage pattern for leaving that file copy "backup"
> running while I go outside for a walk is obviously very different to how it
> would look today sitting here replying to your message with itunes on in the
> background.
>
> If this really is from just your "normal" use then consider if all the apps
> and services running are the ones you want to be running. And that your AV
> and AntiSpyware aren't set to an overly paranoid level that means they're
> beating your disks continually.
>
> And after all that, if you're still seeing this figure *and* you're actually
> unhappy with the 'real world' performance of the machine then consider a
> new, additional hard disk would be my advice.
> --
> Robert Moir
> http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com
>
>
>
 

My Computer

Top