• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How to wake from sleep mode

M

Mike950

#1
Can someone tell me how to Wake my computer from Sleep Mode? When my
computer goes into Sleep Mode, I can't wake it by hitting a key on the
keyboard or by moving my mouse (like in XP). I have to push the power button
on the computer. I've done some searches for the problem here and on Google
but still can't find a good answer. Thank you for the help.

Mike

Win Vista Home Premium SP1
 
R

Richard Urban

#2
Change the power options for the device in device manager.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience



"Mike950" <Mike950@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:68C7A99F-A120-4F4A-AD3B-290720710F5F@xxxxxx

> Can someone tell me how to Wake my computer from Sleep Mode? When my
> computer goes into Sleep Mode, I can't wake it by hitting a key on the
> keyboard or by moving my mouse (like in XP). I have to push the power
> button
> on the computer. I've done some searches for the problem here and on
> Google
> but still can't find a good answer. Thank you for the help.
>
> Mike
>
> Win Vista Home Premium SP1
 
#3
"Mike950" <Mike950@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:68C7A99F-A120-4F4A-AD3B-290720710F5F@xxxxxx

> Can someone tell me how to Wake my computer from Sleep Mode? When my
> computer goes into Sleep Mode, I can't wake it by hitting a key on the
> keyboard or by moving my mouse (like in XP). I have to push the power
> button
> on the computer. I've done some searches for the problem here and on
> Google
> but still can't find a good answer. Thank you for the help.
>
> Mike
>
> Win Vista Home Premium SP1
I wake mine up by holding down the Space Bar for a few seconds-- The
options governing some of what wakes things up (like your mouse) is set via
options in the device manager. Off hand, don't recall the exact location but
I think the path starts under network adapters.
MLD
 
M

Michael Walraven

#4
Possibly your machine is Hibernating rather than sleeping?

On my Dell XPS410 desktop Vista Home Premium 32bit
If it is sleeping the Power switch on the chassis is blinking.
If it is hibernating then the Power switch is off.

If resuming from sleep then it is very fast with no messages or BIOS
information.
If resuming from hibernate than there is BIOS reporting and then a message
'Resuming Windows' is displayed for awhile.

Michael

"Mike950" <Mike950@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:68C7A99F-A120-4F4A-AD3B-290720710F5F@xxxxxx

> Can someone tell me how to Wake my computer from Sleep Mode? When my
> computer goes into Sleep Mode, I can't wake it by hitting a key on the
> keyboard or by moving my mouse (like in XP). I have to push the power
> button
> on the computer. I've done some searches for the problem here and on
> Google
> but still can't find a good answer. Thank you for the help.
>
> Mike
>
> Win Vista Home Premium SP1
 
C

Charlie Tame

#5
Rick Rogers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check your system BIOS for "wake on" features, they may currently be
> disabled.
>

If you can think of an option that wakes me from sleep mode without
risking a tirade of abuse would you kindly inform my roommate :) She has
not found it yet.
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

#6
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:20:40 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:

> Rick Rogers wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Check your system BIOS for "wake on" features, they may currently be
>> disabled.
>>
>
>
> If you can think of an option that wakes me from sleep mode without
> risking a tirade of abuse would you kindly inform my roommate :) She has
> not found it yet.
The Control key works on my computer. Do you have a personal Control key?

:-) ...in case it's not obvious that I'm joking

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
 
M

Mike950

#7
Thank you for the replies.

I had already looked in "Power Management" but there is only an option to
set the mouse to power on the computer. There is nothing there to allow the
keyboard to power on the computer. I checked the BIOS and it is set to allow
power on with both mouse and keyboard (Although it says something about only
being able use the keyboard if it has a "Power" key. Not sure what that
means). I did find out that to power on using mouse you have to double click
the mouse instead of just wiggling it around.

So, I am now able to turn the computer back on from sleep mode by double
clicking the mouse but not by hitting a key on the keyboard. I'm just
curious, is there a way of powering up Vista from Sleep Mode by holding down
Enter or Spacebar or something on the keyboard or is this no longer
available? Thanks for the help.
 
G

Gene E. Bloch

#8
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 20:47:12 -0700, Mike950 wrote:

> Thank you for the replies.
>
> I had already looked in "Power Management" but there is only an option to
> set the mouse to power on the computer. There is nothing there to allow the
> keyboard to power on the computer. I checked the BIOS and it is set to allow
> power on with both mouse and keyboard (Although it says something about only
> being able use the keyboard if it has a "Power" key. Not sure what that
> means). I did find out that to power on using mouse you have to double click
> the mouse instead of just wiggling it around.
>
> So, I am now able to turn the computer back on from sleep mode by double
> clicking the mouse but not by hitting a key on the keyboard. I'm just
> curious, is there a way of powering up Vista from Sleep Mode by holding down
> Enter or Spacebar or something on the keyboard or is this no longer
> available? Thanks for the help.
I have access to two Vista computers (different manufacturers), and either
computer will awaken from sleep if I press any key. This is also true of
many other computers I've used. I usually press Ctrl (by itself), which is
my superstition resulting from years of Unix, where the keypress was not
ignored.

So I am guessing that you have a configuration problem in Windows or in
your BIOS. I remember one BIOS that let me pick CTRL + any old key as the
starter, but I forget now if there were other choices on that box.

BTW, a Power key is a key labeled "Power". A few (not many) keyboards have
that key.

--
Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
 
N

Natéag

#9
I have Vista, and I can wake up the computer by moving the mouse
or pressing the space bar.

It is configurable in the BIOS, and alsohas eo be enabled in Vista's
Control Panel.

>> > Actually, that's just the way Vista works. When it goes to Sleep, you
>> > must
>> > press the power button to wake it up, unlike XP where you could move
>> > the
>> > mouse or press a button on the keyboard to do so.
>> >
>> > - Adam
>> >
 
N

Natéag

#10
If it does not work, sfc /scannow, chkdsk /f or
Vista's update/repair from the DVD, launched
frrom within Vista fix it.


"Natéag" <cqui3@xxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de news:...

>I have Vista, and I can wake up the computer by moving the mouse
> or pressing the space bar.
>
> It is configurable in the BIOS, and alsohas eo be enabled in Vista's
> Control Panel.
>

>>> > Actually, that's just the way Vista works. When it goes to Sleep, you
>>> > must
>>> > press the power button to wake it up, unlike XP where you could move
>>> > the
>>> > mouse or press a button on the keyboard to do so.
>>> >
>>> > - Adam
>>> >
>
 
T

Tooeyes

#11
Everyone keeps telling me to configure the BIOS or to enable "wake on"
features, but I am asking how do I do these things???? How do you configure
the BIOS or enable the "wake on" features? Thanks.

"Natéag" wrote:

> I have Vista, and I can wake up the computer by moving the mouse
> or pressing the space bar.
>
> It is configurable in the BIOS, and alsohas eo be enabled in Vista's
> Control Panel.
>

> >> > Actually, that's just the way Vista works. When it goes to Sleep, you
> >> > must
> >> > press the power button to wake it up, unlike XP where you could move
> >> > the
> >> > mouse or press a button on the keyboard to do so.
> >> >
> >> > - Adam
> >> >
>
>
 
M

Michael Walraven

#12
In general you could start at 'Device Manager'
Select and check properties of the device that you think should be waking
the computer.
There MAY be a tab for Power Management if so that may show a box to select
'Allow this device to wake the computer'.

To get more specific advice, other that check BIOS and 'enable wakeon
features' More information is needed from you.
What is the Model of the computer that is having the problem. How are you
putting it to sleep. Status of being plugged in or on battery is important.
What is the Keyboard and mouse, esp the interface PS/2, USB, Bluetooth,
other wireless have different 'normal' problems.

Then someone that has the same hardware you have (or at least parts) may
have better specific advice.

Michael

"Tooeyes" <Tooeyes@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:806F418F-1716-4C65-A553-E32C2463790E@xxxxxx

> Everyone keeps telling me to configure the BIOS or to enable "wake on"
> features, but I am asking how do I do these things???? How do you
> configure
> the BIOS or enable the "wake on" features? Thanks.
>
> "Natéag" wrote:
>

>> I have Vista, and I can wake up the computer by moving the mouse
>> or pressing the space bar.
>>
>> It is configurable in the BIOS, and alsohas eo be enabled in Vista's
>> Control Panel.
>>

>> >> > Actually, that's just the way Vista works. When it goes to Sleep,
>> >> > you
>> >> > must
>> >> > press the power button to wake it up, unlike XP where you could move
>> >> > the
>> >> > mouse or press a button on the keyboard to do so.
>> >> >
>> >> > - Adam
>> >> >
>>
>>
 
G

Guest

#13
Powercfg is supposed to give this info

powercfg -lastwake

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Is blank on my computer but may work for you.

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:%23duPWW8vJHA.968@xxxxxx

> In general you could start at 'Device Manager'
> Select and check properties of the device that you think should be waking
> the computer.
> There MAY be a tab for Power Management if so that may show a box to
> select 'Allow this device to wake the computer'.
>
> To get more specific advice, other that check BIOS and 'enable wakeon
> features' More information is needed from you.
> What is the Model of the computer that is having the problem. How are you
> putting it to sleep. Status of being plugged in or on battery is
> important.
> What is the Keyboard and mouse, esp the interface PS/2, USB, Bluetooth,
> other wireless have different 'normal' problems.
>
> Then someone that has the same hardware you have (or at least parts) may
> have better specific advice.
>
> Michael
>
> "Tooeyes" <Tooeyes@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:806F418F-1716-4C65-A553-E32C2463790E@xxxxxx

>> Everyone keeps telling me to configure the BIOS or to enable "wake on"
>> features, but I am asking how do I do these things???? How do you
>> configure
>> the BIOS or enable the "wake on" features? Thanks.
>>
>> "Natéag" wrote:
>>

>>> I have Vista, and I can wake up the computer by moving the mouse
>>> or pressing the space bar.
>>>
>>> It is configurable in the BIOS, and alsohas eo be enabled in Vista's
>>> Control Panel.
>>>
>>> >> > Actually, that's just the way Vista works. When it goes to Sleep,
>>> >> > you
>>> >> > must
>>> >> > press the power button to wake it up, unlike XP where you could
>>> >> > move
>>> >> > the
>>> >> > mouse or press a button on the keyboard to do so.
>>> >> >
>>> >> > - Adam
>>> >> >
>>>
>>>
 
N

Natéag

#14
Depends on your machine.
Try "Delete" when computer starts.
If it does not work, use "Escape".

That should open the BIOS. See if there
is a setting for hibernation (sleep), or S3
mode. As well as a setting for getting
out of sleep.





"Tooeyes" <Tooeyes@xxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de
news:806F418F-1716-4C65-A553-E32C2463790E@xxxxxx

> Everyone keeps telling me to configure the BIOS or to enable "wake on"
> features, but I am asking how do I do these things???? How do you
> configure
> the BIOS or enable the "wake on" features? Thanks.
>
> "Natéag" wrote:
>

>> I have Vista, and I can wake up the computer by moving the mouse
>> or pressing the space bar.
>>
>> It is configurable in the BIOS, and alsohas eo be enabled in Vista's
>> Control Panel.
>>

>> >> > Actually, that's just the way Vista works. When it goes to Sleep,
>> >> > you
>> >> > must
>> >> > press the power button to wake it up, unlike XP where you could move
>> >> > the
>> >> > mouse or press a button on the keyboard to do so.
>> >> >
>> >> > - Adam
>> >> >
>>
>>