HP Deskjet 722C Networked

deltatux

New Member
Alright, I have an HP Deskjet 722C installed on my parent's computer (running Windows XP 32-bit). Thing is that I have Windows Vista Home Premium x64. HP is being a jerk and not help me find something very simple, which is just an INF file since that's all my computer is complaining. This is getting really annoying because I can't constantly walk over to that computer with a USB key to just print something.

Can anyone, including any Microsoft staff please direct me to the correct INF file that HP Deskjet 722C requires in order to print on the x64 system?

Please and thanks,
deltatux
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A AM2+
    Memory
    4 GB Kingston DDR2-667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3650
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 320 GB SATA HDD w/ 16MB cache

deltatux

New Member
ok, I got the printer to respond over the network, I was jumping for joy until the printer spooled but never printed. Like it went through the initial stages of readying the ink and taking a sheet of paper to print, but the actual printing action DID NOT WORK.

I would like to thank this poster to get it responding.
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-print-fax-scan/133429-vista-printing-shared-xp-printer.html#post622687

However, I can't seem to find a driver called Deskjet 722C, I found its cousin 720C, so I selected that, but I still can't get the thing to print. This is irritating.

deltatux
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A AM2+
    Memory
    4 GB Kingston DDR2-667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3650
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 320 GB SATA HDD w/ 16MB cache
M

Malke

deltatux wrote:

>
> ok, I got the printer to respond over the network, I was jumping for joy
> until the printer spooled but never printed. Like it went through the
> initial stages of readying the ink and taking a sheet of paper to print,
> but the actual printing action DID NOT WORK.
>
> I would like to thank this poster to get it responding.
>
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-print-fax-scan/133429-vista-printing-shared-xp-printer.html#post622687

>
> However, I can't seem to find a driver called Deskjet 722C, I found its
> cousin 720C, so I selected that, but I still can't get the thing to
> print. This is irritating.

I had a 720C which was made just before yours. I got it with my Windows 95
computer. This means that your 722C is only slightly less ancient. It may
still work, but considering the cost of a basic inkjet printer (less than
the cost of the ink) it is now time to purchase a printer that works with
the operating system you are running. If the printer mftr. doesn't support
a roughly 10-year-old printer model this is no surprise and whinging about
it won't change anything. Spend the $50-60 to replace the printer and move
on.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
 

My Computer

A

Andrew Rossmann

[This followup was posted to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
mx.forums.net says...

>
> Alright, I have an HP Deskjet 722C installed on my parent's computer
> (running Windows XP 32-bit). Thing is that I have Windows Vista Home
> Premium x64. HP is being a jerk and not help me find something very
> simple, which is just an INF file since that's all my computer is
> complaining. This is getting really annoying because I can't constantly
> walk over to that computer with a USB key to just print something.
>
> Can anyone, including any Microsoft staff please direct me to the
> correct INF file that HP Deskjet 722C requires in order to print on the
> x64 system?

The HP 7xx series are host-based printers. They are very 'stupid' and
only understand a very low-level graphics language, unlike most other HP
printers. The driver requires 2-way communication with the printer.

Networking the 7xx series has been iffy at best. Back in the Win9x/NT
era, there were one or two old drivers that would work, but newer ones
wouldn't. None of them would work with Vista.

As Malke posted, bite the bullet and buy a new printer. Even the
cheapest printer will probably have a better quality printout, and be
Vista compatible. In fact, for a bit more money, you can find many
pretty cheap printers that have Ethernet networking BUILT-IN. Get one of
those, and you know it will work, as long as you can find drivers for
all your operating systems.

--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
 

My Computer

deltatux

New Member
[This followup was posted to
microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
mx.forums.net says...

>
> Alright, I have an HP Deskjet 722C installed on my parent's computer
> (running Windows XP 32-bit). Thing is that I have Windows Vista Home
> Premium x64. HP is being a jerk and not help me find something very
> simple, which is just an INF file since that's all my computer is
> complaining. This is getting really annoying because I can't constantly
> walk over to that computer with a USB key to just print something.
>
> Can anyone, including any Microsoft staff please direct me to the
> correct INF file that HP Deskjet 722C requires in order to print on the
> x64 system?
The HP 7xx series are host-based printers. They are very 'stupid' and
only understand a very low-level graphics language, unlike most other HP
printers. The driver requires 2-way communication with the printer.

Networking the 7xx series has been iffy at best. Back in the Win9x/NT
era, there were one or two old drivers that would work, but newer ones
wouldn't. None of them would work with Vista.

As Malke posted, bite the bullet and buy a new printer. Even the
cheapest printer will probably have a better quality printout, and be
Vista compatible. In fact, for a bit more money, you can find many
pretty cheap printers that have Ethernet networking BUILT-IN. Get one of
those, and you know it will work, as long as you can find drivers for
all your operating systems.

--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

Unfortunately, buying a new printer is not an option for my parents because the new printers eat ink like water, so they keep insisting on sticking to the old printer.

Is there really no way to get this working? 'cuz I know it worked when I had XP, I've had no known issue until I got Windows Vista x64 on this new machine.
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A AM2+
    Memory
    4 GB Kingston DDR2-667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3650
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 320 GB SATA HDD w/ 16MB cache
A

Andrew Rossmann

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
mx.forums.net says...

> Unfortunately, buying a new printer is not an option for my parents
> because the new printers eat ink like water, so they keep insisting on
> sticking to the old printer.

Just be careful what printer you buy. Some will restrict you to only the
tiniest cartridge capacities. One step up and they will usually support
higher capacity cartridges (74XL versus 74, 96 vs 94, etc...)

I used to have DJ970, which used the same carts as the 7xx. When I
updated to a PSC2410, which used the 'smaller' 5x carts, I still changed
them just as often. I now have an OfficeJet 7310 (9x series carts). I
still change them at about the same rate.

--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
 

My Computer

deltatux

New Member
ah, ok. Thanks for the information, I will talk with my parents about it.

deltatux
 

My Computer

System One

  • CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M3A AM2+
    Memory
    4 GB Kingston DDR2-667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire ATi Radeon HD 3650
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 320 GB SATA HDD w/ 16MB cache
A

Alan Morris [MSFT]

Since you have x64 connecting to x86 and the driver names do not match, you
cannot make an RPC connection to the XP machine.

Create a local printer on the X64 machine that uses a "Local Port" in the
form \\XPmachine\printershare and the 720C driver included in Vista.

You could also change the XP machine to use the XP inbox 720C driver ,then
make the connection from the x64 system.



--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"deltatux" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> ah, ok. Thanks for the information, I will talk with my parents about
> it.
>
> deltatux
>
>
> --
> deltatux
 

My Computer

PreacherWin7

New Member

My Computer

Top