• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

I need advice on how to get vista to put a driver on for my ethernet card- please help

R

robin

#1
installed vista beta 2 on a clean formated HD. Everything installed fine
but my ethernet card is on the mother board and for some reason it sees the
new hardware but will not install a driver for it so I cannot even go to the
web to find an update.

What I do not understand is after trying 4 different ethernet cards with
floppys that had drivers on them, vista would not see this either. (drivers
are for win98-2000)

I totally gave up, reformatted the HD and put on xp pro and xp pro found
drivers for the original card on the mother board. Why can't vista find
them.?

Someone told me to try doing an upgrade from xp pro instead of a reformat-
before i go and do this do you think this will work? or you have another
suggestion for me to get vista to install a driver for the card?

robin
 

My Computer

M

Mark D. VandenBerg

#2
While XP was an evolutionary redo of Win2000, Vista is a completely new
operating system. As such, many things, including drivers, are handled
differently. Simply put, just because it works in XP, doesn't mean it works
in Vista.

I suggest contacting the vendors of your NIC's to see if they have
Vista-compatible drivers for their products, or, if they don't, search this
newsgroup to see which NIC's have been able to work and then get one of
them. Most are relatively inexpensive.

--
Mark

Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!

"robin" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
news:u27AXXPpGHA.4216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> installed vista beta 2 on a clean formated HD. Everything installed fine
> but my ethernet card is on the mother board and for some reason it sees
> the
> new hardware but will not install a driver for it so I cannot even go to
> the
> web to find an update.
>
> What I do not understand is after trying 4 different ethernet cards with
> floppys that had drivers on them, vista would not see this either.
> (drivers
> are for win98-2000)
>
> I totally gave up, reformatted the HD and put on xp pro and xp pro found
> drivers for the original card on the mother board. Why can't vista find
> them.?
>
> Someone told me to try doing an upgrade from xp pro instead of a reformat-
> before i go and do this do you think this will work? or you have another
> suggestion for me to get vista to install a driver for the card?
>
> robin
>
>
>
 

My Computer

M

MICHAEL

#3
I thought Vista was an "evolutionary redo" of
Windows Server 2003 SP1.

The Vista code was originally based on XP and
that changed in late 2004.

Windows Server 2003 has a different
code base than XP.

Longhorn Server and Vista share
the same code base.

http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp
Future Windows versions will always be based on the most up-to-date Windows version at the
time, and today that version is Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1). When Windows
Vista development started two years ago, however, it was originally based on Windows XP. In
mid-2004, Microsoft had to restart the core development of Windows Vista because it was too
hard to go back and componentized the Windows Vista core code. So when it restarted Windows
Vista development, Microsoft naturally used the Windows Server 2003 with SP1 code base instead
of that of XP.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6075912.html
"The plan is unlike (Windows) XP and (Windows Server) 2003, where we had separate code bases.
We'll have one code base," Muglia said. "That will all converge next fall, roughly...when
Longhorn Server ships."

As the Vista team patches bugs in the desktop operating system, those changes will be folded
into the Server code. Meanwhile, the changes to the Server code will be added back into Vista
in a service pack for the desktop operating system, currently slated for delivery next fall.

The plan is not that new. Microsoft once hoped that Windows XP--then known as Whistler--and its
server counterpart would share a common code base. Instead, the company took longer to do the
server update, in part to revamp its security approach, and eventually shipped it as Windows
Server 2003.


-Michael

"Mark D. VandenBerg" <mvan103@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4D94EDB0-20B1-416B-88DD-8E19B8FE9955@microsoft.com...
> While XP was an evolutionary redo of Win2000, Vista is a completely new operating system. As
> such, many things, including drivers, are handled differently. Simply put, just because it
> works in XP, doesn't mean it works in Vista.
>
> I suggest contacting the vendors of your NIC's to see if they have Vista-compatible drivers
> for their products, or, if they don't, search this newsgroup to see which NIC's have been
> able to work and then get one of them. Most are relatively inexpensive.
>
> --
> Mark
>
> Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!
>
> "robin" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:u27AXXPpGHA.4216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> installed vista beta 2 on a clean formated HD. Everything installed fine
>> but my ethernet card is on the mother board and for some reason it sees the
>> new hardware but will not install a driver for it so I cannot even go to the
>> web to find an update.
>>
>> What I do not understand is after trying 4 different ethernet cards with
>> floppys that had drivers on them, vista would not see this either. (drivers
>> are for win98-2000)
>>
>> I totally gave up, reformatted the HD and put on xp pro and xp pro found
>> drivers for the original card on the mother board. Why can't vista find
>> them.?
>>
>> Someone told me to try doing an upgrade from xp pro instead of a reformat-
>> before i go and do this do you think this will work? or you have another
>> suggestion for me to get vista to install a driver for the card?
>>
>> robin
>>
>>
>>

>
 

My Computer

M

Mark D. VandenBerg

#4
<begrudgingly>

Yes, Michael, you are correct in that Vista is a descendant of Server 2003.
However, in the context of answering Robin's questions about compatibility
between XP and Vista for the average consumer, I didn't think it was
necessary to point this part out. As my ex-wife used to relish, I could be
wrong!

--
Mark

Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
news:ebHFjxPpGHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I thought Vista was an "evolutionary redo" of
> Windows Server 2003 SP1.
>
> The Vista code was originally based on XP and
> that changed in late 2004.
>
> Windows Server 2003 has a different
> code base than XP.
>
> Longhorn Server and Vista share
> the same code base.
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp
> Future Windows versions will always be based on the most up-to-date
> Windows version at the time, and today that version is Windows Server 2003
> with Service Pack 1 (SP1). When Windows Vista development started two
> years ago, however, it was originally based on Windows XP. In mid-2004,
> Microsoft had to restart the core development of Windows Vista because it
> was too hard to go back and componentized the Windows Vista core code. So
> when it restarted Windows Vista development, Microsoft naturally used the
> Windows Server 2003 with SP1 code base instead of that of XP.
>
> http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6075912.html
> "The plan is unlike (Windows) XP and (Windows Server) 2003, where we had
> separate code bases. We'll have one code base," Muglia said. "That will
> all converge next fall, roughly...when Longhorn Server ships."
>
> As the Vista team patches bugs in the desktop operating system, those
> changes will be folded into the Server code. Meanwhile, the changes to the
> Server code will be added back into Vista in a service pack for the
> desktop operating system, currently slated for delivery next fall.
>
> The plan is not that new. Microsoft once hoped that Windows XP--then known
> as Whistler--and its server counterpart would share a common code base.
> Instead, the company took longer to do the server update, in part to
> revamp its security approach, and eventually shipped it as Windows Server
> 2003.
>
>
> -Michael
>
> "Mark D. VandenBerg" <mvan103@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:4D94EDB0-20B1-416B-88DD-8E19B8FE9955@microsoft.com...
>> While XP was an evolutionary redo of Win2000, Vista is a completely new
>> operating system. As such, many things, including drivers, are handled
>> differently. Simply put, just because it works in XP, doesn't mean it
>> works in Vista.
>>
>> I suggest contacting the vendors of your NIC's to see if they have
>> Vista-compatible drivers for their products, or, if they don't, search
>> this newsgroup to see which NIC's have been able to work and then get one
>> of them. Most are relatively inexpensive.
>>
>> --
>> Mark
>>
>> Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!
>>
>> "robin" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:u27AXXPpGHA.4216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> installed vista beta 2 on a clean formated HD. Everything installed
>>> fine
>>> but my ethernet card is on the mother board and for some reason it sees
>>> the
>>> new hardware but will not install a driver for it so I cannot even go to
>>> the
>>> web to find an update.
>>>
>>> What I do not understand is after trying 4 different ethernet cards with
>>> floppys that had drivers on them, vista would not see this either.
>>> (drivers
>>> are for win98-2000)
>>>
>>> I totally gave up, reformatted the HD and put on xp pro and xp pro found
>>> drivers for the original card on the mother board. Why can't vista find
>>> them.?
>>>
>>> Someone told me to try doing an upgrade from xp pro instead of a
>>> reformat-
>>> before i go and do this do you think this will work? or you have another
>>> suggestion for me to get vista to install a driver for the card?
>>>
>>> robin
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>

>
 

My Computer

M

MICHAEL

#5
I reckon, your point is correct- Vista did not evolve from
WinXP, therefore, compatibility between the two with drivers
and such could be a problem. Which many of us have seen.
Sometimes drivers from XP work in Vista, many times they don't.
Or, XP drivers may not work as well in Vista.

-Michael

"Mark D. VandenBerg" <mvan103@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:90B16DD0-FB0B-4374-A63C-6576D1F9A5E0@microsoft.com...
> <begrudgingly>
>
> Yes, Michael, you are correct in that Vista is a descendant of Server 2003. However, in the
> context of answering Robin's questions about compatibility between XP and Vista for the
> average consumer, I didn't think it was necessary to point this part out. As my ex-wife used
> to relish, I could be wrong!
>
> --
> Mark
>
> Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> news:ebHFjxPpGHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>I thought Vista was an "evolutionary redo" of
>> Windows Server 2003 SP1.
>>
>> The Vista code was originally based on XP and
>> that changed in late 2004.
>>
>> Windows Server 2003 has a different
>> code base than XP.
>>
>> Longhorn Server and Vista share
>> the same code base.
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp
>> Future Windows versions will always be based on the most up-to-date Windows version at the
>> time, and today that version is Windows Server 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1). When Windows
>> Vista development started two years ago, however, it was originally based on Windows XP. In
>> mid-2004, Microsoft had to restart the core development of Windows Vista because it was too
>> hard to go back and componentized the Windows Vista core code. So when it restarted Windows
>> Vista development, Microsoft naturally used the Windows Server 2003 with SP1 code base
>> instead of that of XP.
>>
>> http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6075912.html
>> "The plan is unlike (Windows) XP and (Windows Server) 2003, where we had separate code
>> bases. We'll have one code base," Muglia said. "That will all converge next fall,
>> roughly...when Longhorn Server ships."
>>
>> As the Vista team patches bugs in the desktop operating system, those changes will be folded
>> into the Server code. Meanwhile, the changes to the Server code will be added back into
>> Vista in a service pack for the desktop operating system, currently slated for delivery next
>> fall.
>>
>> The plan is not that new. Microsoft once hoped that Windows XP--then known as Whistler--and
>> its server counterpart would share a common code base. Instead, the company took longer to
>> do the server update, in part to revamp its security approach, and eventually shipped it as
>> Windows Server 2003.
>>
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>> "Mark D. VandenBerg" <mvan103@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:4D94EDB0-20B1-416B-88DD-8E19B8FE9955@microsoft.com...
>>> While XP was an evolutionary redo of Win2000, Vista is a completely new operating system.
>>> As such, many things, including drivers, are handled differently. Simply put, just because
>>> it works in XP, doesn't mean it works in Vista.
>>>
>>> I suggest contacting the vendors of your NIC's to see if they have Vista-compatible drivers
>>> for their products, or, if they don't, search this newsgroup to see which NIC's have been
>>> able to work and then get one of them. Most are relatively inexpensive.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark
>>>
>>> Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!
>>>
>>> "robin" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:u27AXXPpGHA.4216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>> installed vista beta 2 on a clean formated HD. Everything installed fine
>>>> but my ethernet card is on the mother board and for some reason it sees the
>>>> new hardware but will not install a driver for it so I cannot even go to the
>>>> web to find an update.
>>>>
>>>> What I do not understand is after trying 4 different ethernet cards with
>>>> floppys that had drivers on them, vista would not see this either. (drivers
>>>> are for win98-2000)
>>>>
>>>> I totally gave up, reformatted the HD and put on xp pro and xp pro found
>>>> drivers for the original card on the mother board. Why can't vista find
>>>> them.?
>>>>
>>>> Someone told me to try doing an upgrade from xp pro instead of a reformat-
>>>> before i go and do this do you think this will work? or you have another
>>>> suggestion for me to get vista to install a driver for the card?
>>>>
>>>> robin
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>

>>

>
 

My Computer

M

Mark D. VandenBerg

#6
.... and yet I fail to feel any vindication...

;)

--
Mark

Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
news:uNH79WQpGHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I reckon, your point is correct- Vista did not evolve from
> WinXP, therefore, compatibility between the two with drivers
> and such could be a problem. Which many of us have seen.
> Sometimes drivers from XP work in Vista, many times they don't.
> Or, XP drivers may not work as well in Vista.
>
> -Michael
>
> "Mark D. VandenBerg" <mvan103@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:90B16DD0-FB0B-4374-A63C-6576D1F9A5E0@microsoft.com...
>> <begrudgingly>
>>
>> Yes, Michael, you are correct in that Vista is a descendant of Server
>> 2003. However, in the context of answering Robin's questions about
>> compatibility between XP and Vista for the average consumer, I didn't
>> think it was necessary to point this part out. As my ex-wife used to
>> relish, I could be wrong!
>>
>> --
>> Mark
>>
>> Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!
>>
>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> news:ebHFjxPpGHA.4932@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>>I thought Vista was an "evolutionary redo" of
>>> Windows Server 2003 SP1.
>>>
>>> The Vista code was originally based on XP and
>>> that changed in late 2004.
>>>
>>> Windows Server 2003 has a different
>>> code base than XP.
>>>
>>> Longhorn Server and Vista share
>>> the same code base.
>>>
>>> http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp
>>> Future Windows versions will always be based on the most up-to-date
>>> Windows version at the time, and today that version is Windows Server
>>> 2003 with Service Pack 1 (SP1). When Windows Vista development started
>>> two years ago, however, it was originally based on Windows XP. In
>>> mid-2004, Microsoft had to restart the core development of Windows Vista
>>> because it was too hard to go back and componentized the Windows Vista
>>> core code. So when it restarted Windows Vista development, Microsoft
>>> naturally used the Windows Server 2003 with SP1 code base instead of
>>> that of XP.
>>>
>>> http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6075912.html
>>> "The plan is unlike (Windows) XP and (Windows Server) 2003, where we had
>>> separate code bases. We'll have one code base," Muglia said. "That will
>>> all converge next fall, roughly...when Longhorn Server ships."
>>>
>>> As the Vista team patches bugs in the desktop operating system, those
>>> changes will be folded into the Server code. Meanwhile, the changes to
>>> the Server code will be added back into Vista in a service pack for the
>>> desktop operating system, currently slated for delivery next fall.
>>>
>>> The plan is not that new. Microsoft once hoped that Windows XP--then
>>> known as Whistler--and its server counterpart would share a common code
>>> base. Instead, the company took longer to do the server update, in part
>>> to revamp its security approach, and eventually shipped it as Windows
>>> Server 2003.
>>>
>>>
>>> -Michael
>>>
>>> "Mark D. VandenBerg" <mvan103@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:4D94EDB0-20B1-416B-88DD-8E19B8FE9955@microsoft.com...
>>>> While XP was an evolutionary redo of Win2000, Vista is a completely new
>>>> operating system. As such, many things, including drivers, are handled
>>>> differently. Simply put, just because it works in XP, doesn't mean it
>>>> works in Vista.
>>>>
>>>> I suggest contacting the vendors of your NIC's to see if they have
>>>> Vista-compatible drivers for their products, or, if they don't, search
>>>> this newsgroup to see which NIC's have been able to work and then get
>>>> one of them. Most are relatively inexpensive.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Mark
>>>>
>>>> Keeping the fun in dysfunctional!
>>>>
>>>> "robin" <robinbk9_nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:u27AXXPpGHA.4216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>> installed vista beta 2 on a clean formated HD. Everything installed
>>>>> fine
>>>>> but my ethernet card is on the mother board and for some reason it
>>>>> sees the
>>>>> new hardware but will not install a driver for it so I cannot even go
>>>>> to the
>>>>> web to find an update.
>>>>>
>>>>> What I do not understand is after trying 4 different ethernet cards
>>>>> with
>>>>> floppys that had drivers on them, vista would not see this either.
>>>>> (drivers
>>>>> are for win98-2000)
>>>>>
>>>>> I totally gave up, reformatted the HD and put on xp pro and xp pro
>>>>> found
>>>>> drivers for the original card on the mother board. Why can't vista
>>>>> find
>>>>> them.?
>>>>>
>>>>> Someone told me to try doing an upgrade from xp pro instead of a
>>>>> reformat-
>>>>> before i go and do this do you think this will work? or you have
>>>>> another
>>>>> suggestion for me to get vista to install a driver for the card?
>>>>>
>>>>> robin
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>

>>

>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)