• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

IMAP message retrievel takes forever!

G
I'm trying out IMAP for several email accounts. I want to use it as a backup so I don't have to worry about backing up my email.
But to Sync everything up takes quite a while because WLM is checking each folder for new messages instead of juct the Inbox. Is
there any way I can control this? I would like to sync up all the folders only when I've made a change (like after I just created a
new folder and rearranged the messages in that account). I don't need it to check 100 folders for maybe 1 change I made a few
minutes ago. I just need it to check for new incoming messages - the Inbox.

POP isn't so bad but every time I create a folder in WLM, now I'll also have to do the same on my webmail account and move the
messages around. It will be a real hassle. Maybe backing up the email isn't so bad an idea after all!

My Computer

G

Gary VanderMolen

Tools, Accounts, select that account, properties, IMAP tab,
unselect "Check for new messages in all folders".

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"GeV" <reply_to_group@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:uoNYT2VnJHA.1172@xxxxxx

> I'm trying out IMAP for several email accounts. I want to use it as a backup so I don't have to worry about backing up my email.
> But to Sync everything up takes quite a while because WLM is checking each folder for new messages instead of juct the Inbox. Is
> there any way I can control this? I would like to sync up all the folders only when I've made a change (like after I just created a
> new folder and rearranged the messages in that account). I don't need it to check 100 folders for maybe 1 change I made a few
> minutes ago. I just need it to check for new incoming messages - the Inbox.
>
> POP isn't so bad but every time I create a folder in WLM, now I'll also have to do the same on my webmail account and move the
> messages around. It will be a real hassle. Maybe backing up the email isn't so bad an idea after all!
>
>

My Computer

G
> I'm trying out IMAP for several email accounts. I want to use it as a backup so I don't have to worry about backing up my email.

> But to Sync everything up takes quite a while because WLM is checking each folder for new messages instead of juct the Inbox. Is
> there any way I can control this? I would like to sync up all the folders only when I've made a change (like after I just created
> a
> new folder and rearranged the messages in that account). I don't need it to check 100 folders for maybe 1 change I made a few
> minutes ago. I just need it to check for new incoming messages - the Inbox.
>
> POP isn't so bad but every time I create a folder in WLM, now I'll also have to do the same on my webmail account and move the
> messages around. It will be a real hassle. Maybe backing up the email isn't so bad an idea after all!
--------------

>Tools, Accounts, select that account, properties, IMAP tab, unselect "Check for new messages in all folders".
But if that is unchecked can I check it manually (say after I just created a folder in WLM and want it mirrored with webmail)?
I want WLM to check all the email Inboxes every 10 minutes but only want it to sync all the folders when I need to - say once a day.

My Computer

G

Gary VanderMolen

Sorry, I don't how you would do that.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"GeV" <reply_to_group@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:OXKAeJinJHA.4912@xxxxxx

>> I'm trying out IMAP for several email accounts. I want to use it as a backup so I don't have to worry about backing up my email.
>> But to Sync everything up takes quite a while because WLM is checking each folder for new messages instead of juct the Inbox. Is
>> there any way I can control this? I would like to sync up all the folders only when I've made a change (like after I just created
>> a
>> new folder and rearranged the messages in that account). I don't need it to check 100 folders for maybe 1 change I made a few
>> minutes ago. I just need it to check for new incoming messages - the Inbox.
>>
>> POP isn't so bad but every time I create a folder in WLM, now I'll also have to do the same on my webmail account and move the
>> messages around. It will be a real hassle. Maybe backing up the email isn't so bad an idea after all!
> --------------

>>Tools, Accounts, select that account, properties, IMAP tab, unselect "Check for new messages in all folders".
>
> But if that is unchecked can I check it manually (say after I just created a folder in WLM and want it mirrored with webmail)?
> I want WLM to check all the email Inboxes every 10 minutes but only want it to sync all the folders when I need to - say once a day.
>
>
>
>

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)