• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Importing Outlook Express address book

D

dale niday

#1
Importing address book, file and documents from our old computer
(HP) to this new computer. Out old computer is no longer functioning.
Can we still transfer information?

Also, how do I get spell check? I have clicked on the task bar under tools
and the spelling check (ABC) but a window opens saying:
'spell check' not available in this language............?? What is
that........

Thanks you for your help,
Barbara
 
R

Rainald Taesler

#2
dale niday wrote:

> Importing address book, file and documents from our old computer
> (HP) to this new computer. Out old computer is no longer functioning.
> Can we still transfer information?
Which IS and which mail-client did you use on the old system?

Importing would be no problem if you have a backup from the old system.

Of not it depends in the state if the old system's HDD.
If it's still usable, attach the old HDD to the new system (if not
possible internally, get a USB HDD enclosure) and import the data into
WinMail.

> Also, how do I get spell check? I have clicked on the task bar under
> tools and the spelling check (ABC) but a window opens saying:
> 'spell check' not available in this language............?? What is
> that........
Sometimes the spellchecker behaves a bit crazy. To cure the problem:
- select a different language and set it as the default;
- then change the language back to the wanted language.

Rainald
 
G

Gary VanderMolen

#3
Do you have a valid backup of your old computer? If not, all you
can do is remove the hard drive from the old computer and
temporarily connect it to the new computer.

In the main screen of Windows Mail, (not the compose screen), go to
Tools, Options, Spelling.
First select another language, click Apply. Then reselect English and click OK.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)


"dale niday" <dn14345@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:%23%23VAEoG7JHA.6136@xxxxxx

> Importing address book, file and documents from our old computer
> (HP) to this new computer. Out old computer is no longer functioning.
> Can we still transfer information?
>
> Also, how do I get spell check? I have clicked on the task bar under tools
> and the spelling check (ABC) but a window opens saying:
> 'spell check' not available in this language............?? What is
> that........
>
> Thanks you for your help,
> Barbara
>
 
P

Peter Foldes

#4
Rainald

> Which IS and which mail-client did you use on the old system?

Don't you hate when the O becomes an I . LOL

--
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

"Rainald Taesler" <taesler@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:epPtRMH7JHA.728@xxxxxx

> dale niday wrote:
>

>> Importing address book, file and documents from our old computer
>> (HP) to this new computer. Out old computer is no longer functioning.
>> Can we still transfer information?
>
> Which IS and which mail-client did you use on the old system?
>
> Importing would be no problem if you have a backup from the old system.
>
> Of not it depends in the state if the old system's HDD.
> If it's still usable, attach the old HDD to the new system (if not
> possible internally, get a USB HDD enclosure) and import the data into
> WinMail.
>

>> Also, how do I get spell check? I have clicked on the task bar under
>> tools and the spelling check (ABC) but a window opens saying:
>> 'spell check' not available in this language............?? What is
>> that........
>
> Sometimes the spellchecker behaves a bit crazy. To cure the problem:
> - select a different language and set it as the default;
> - then change the language back to the wanted language.
>
> Rainald
>
 
R

Rainald Taesler

#5
Peter Foldes wrote:

> Rainald wrote:
>

>> Which IS and which mail-client did you use on the old system?
>
>
> Don't you hate when the O becomes an I . LOL
For sure I hate it!!

The problem is that the spellchecker in only too many cases will not
detect the typo.
And for long years back in the CompuServe days in my main forum - out of
good reasons - I was awarded with the title TypoKing. <gbg>

And now I'm having the additional problem that on my otherwise wonderful
Logitech DiNovo "deluxe" keyboard the letters on the most keys faded
away and only on app. 40% of the keys I can not see which key it is. And
the I and the O are just too close together {siiiiigh}

Rainald


>
> "Rainald Taesler" <taesler@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:epPtRMH7JHA.728@xxxxxx

>> dale niday wrote:
>>

>>> Importing address book, file and documents from our old computer
>>> (HP) to this new computer. Out old computer is no longer
>>> functioning. Can we still transfer information?
>>
>> Which IS and which mail-client did you use on the old system?
>>
>> Importing would be no problem if you have a backup from the old
>> system.
>>
>> Of not it depends in the state if the old system's HDD.
>> If it's still usable, attach the old HDD to the new system (if not
>> possible internally, get a USB HDD enclosure) and import the data
>> into WinMail.
>>

>>> Also, how do I get spell check? I have clicked on the task bar
>>> under tools and the spelling check (ABC) but a window opens saying:
>>> 'spell check' not available in this language............?? What is
>>> that........
>>
>> Sometimes the spellchecker behaves a bit crazy. To cure the problem:
>> - select a different language and set it as the default;
>> - then change the language back to the wanted language.
>>
>> Rainald