• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Install applications without administrator privilege?

Z
#1
Hello,

Under Vista with UAC enabled, can I run the application installer with only
power user privilege or just normal user privilege? For some applications, I
don't trust their installers to run with administrator privilege.

Thanks!
zxli
 

My Computer

J

Jesper

#2
A Power User in Vista is about the same as a regular user. There is no diff.

If the installer is auto-detected to elevate then I do not believe you can
do anything. In that case, maybe the best option is to turn off UAC, log on
as a regular user, and then re-enable UAC. Why are you installing software
you don't trust anyway? I'd be concerned about installing that stuff.

"zxli" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Under Vista with UAC enabled, can I run the application installer with only
> power user privilege or just normal user privilege? For some applications, I
> don't trust their installers to run with administrator privilege.
>
> Thanks!
> zxli
>
>
 

My Computer

R

Robert Moir

#3
zxli wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Under Vista with UAC enabled, can I run the application installer
> with only power user privilege or just normal user privilege? For
> some applications, I don't trust their installers to run with
> administrator privilege.


It's largely down to the installer and what sort of rights it requests and
what sort of rights it actually needs.

If you don't trust an application, my thoughts would be
i - don't install it then!
ii - Virtual PC and VMWare are free and are your friends in this kind of
situation, if you _must_ install something you don't trust.
 

My Computer

Z

Zhenxin Li

#4
What I mean "don't trust" is that some installer will install drivers or
services. But without those drivers or services, the application still works
with some function lost. So I just want to have a taste of the application.

The VMware is not fully ready on Vista. However, I'm trying the VMware 6
beta...

Maybe in the service pack of Vista, MS might add the feature to run the
installer with normal user privilege.

Thanks!

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7E06B910-31F0-46EF-A93D-9750D4043A31@microsoft.com...
>A Power User in Vista is about the same as a regular user. There is no
>diff.
>
> If the installer is auto-detected to elevate then I do not believe you can
> do anything. In that case, maybe the best option is to turn off UAC, log
> on
> as a regular user, and then re-enable UAC. Why are you installing software
> you don't trust anyway? I'd be concerned about installing that stuff.
>
> "zxli" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Under Vista with UAC enabled, can I run the application installer with
>> only
>> power user privilege or just normal user privilege? For some
>> applications, I
>> don't trust their installers to run with administrator privilege.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> zxli
>>
>>
 

My Computer

J

Jesper

#5
It is highly unlikely that MS will add that in a service pack, for a lot of
reasons. The primary one is that it really ought to be up to the developer to
not install stuff you don't want. They do, a lot. I just installed the latest
release of Roxio EZ DVD Creator. I unchecked everything except the burner. It
installed everything. After fiddling with it a bit I found out that
unchecking just removes the shortcuts on the start menu. All the bits are
still installed, the reg keys created, and so on. I'm telling people not to
buy it until Roxio builds a proper installer. That's the better way to fix
the problem.

VMWare 5.5 seems to work reasonably well on Vista. It's not quite there yet,
but it works OK. Virtual PC 2007, if you can get on the beta, works, well, as
well as Virtual PC has always worked. In other words, kinda sluggish, with no
particularly sophisticated features, but reliable in what they have there.

"Zhenxin Li" wrote:

> What I mean "don't trust" is that some installer will install drivers or
> services. But without those drivers or services, the application still works
> with some function lost. So I just want to have a taste of the application.
>
> The VMware is not fully ready on Vista. However, I'm trying the VMware 6
> beta...
>
> Maybe in the service pack of Vista, MS might add the feature to run the
> installer with normal user privilege.
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:7E06B910-31F0-46EF-A93D-9750D4043A31@microsoft.com...
> >A Power User in Vista is about the same as a regular user. There is no
> >diff.
> >
> > If the installer is auto-detected to elevate then I do not believe you can
> > do anything. In that case, maybe the best option is to turn off UAC, log
> > on
> > as a regular user, and then re-enable UAC. Why are you installing software
> > you don't trust anyway? I'd be concerned about installing that stuff.
> >
> > "zxli" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Under Vista with UAC enabled, can I run the application installer with
> >> only
> >> power user privilege or just normal user privilege? For some
> >> applications, I
> >> don't trust their installers to run with administrator privilege.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> zxli
> >>
> >>

>
>
>
 

My Computer

Z
#6
I really don't agree that we depend on the developer to write a properly
designed installer. Developers/software companies won't tell the users
everything. They just want to show their features but hide the
implementation. When I try to install a new software either for myself or
for my friends, I just want to give the installer the rights as minimal as
possible even with reduced functions after installation. I assume many end
users don't know virtual machines.

"Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5C33D6A1-A602-4E99-A06C-94DF4C6015F1@microsoft.com...
> It is highly unlikely that MS will add that in a service pack, for a lot
> of
> reasons. The primary one is that it really ought to be up to the developer
> to
> not install stuff you don't want. They do, a lot. I just installed the
> latest
> release of Roxio EZ DVD Creator. I unchecked everything except the burner.
> It
> installed everything. After fiddling with it a bit I found out that
> unchecking just removes the shortcuts on the start menu. All the bits are
> still installed, the reg keys created, and so on. I'm telling people not
> to
> buy it until Roxio builds a proper installer. That's the better way to fix
> the problem.
>
> VMWare 5.5 seems to work reasonably well on Vista. It's not quite there
> yet,
> but it works OK. Virtual PC 2007, if you can get on the beta, works, well,
> as
> well as Virtual PC has always worked. In other words, kinda sluggish, with
> no
> particularly sophisticated features, but reliable in what they have there.
>
> "Zhenxin Li" wrote:
>
>> What I mean "don't trust" is that some installer will install drivers or
>> services. But without those drivers or services, the application still
>> works
>> with some function lost. So I just want to have a taste of the
>> application.
>>
>> The VMware is not fully ready on Vista. However, I'm trying the VMware 6
>> beta...
>>
>> Maybe in the service pack of Vista, MS might add the feature to run the
>> installer with normal user privilege.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> "Jesper" <Jesper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:7E06B910-31F0-46EF-A93D-9750D4043A31@microsoft.com...
>> >A Power User in Vista is about the same as a regular user. There is no
>> >diff.
>> >
>> > If the installer is auto-detected to elevate then I do not believe you
>> > can
>> > do anything. In that case, maybe the best option is to turn off UAC,
>> > log
>> > on
>> > as a regular user, and then re-enable UAC. Why are you installing
>> > software
>> > you don't trust anyway? I'd be concerned about installing that stuff.
>> >
>> > "zxli" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hello,
>> >>
>> >> Under Vista with UAC enabled, can I run the application installer with
>> >> only
>> >> power user privilege or just normal user privilege? For some
>> >> applications, I
>> >> don't trust their installers to run with administrator privilege.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks!
>> >> zxli
>> >>
>> >>

>>
>>
>>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)