• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Internet Explorer Favorites

M

Mike Harrison

#1
When I got my new computer with Vista I accidently moved a bunch of folders.
I managed to fix it, and everything works fine except that due to some of my
unsuccessful attempts, now my IE favorites are in
c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites\favorites\favorites\favorites instead of
c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites
I cannot just delete all of the redundant directories because Internet
Explorer requires all of them in order to find the favorites file.
Is there any way to remove the redundant directories?
 

My Computer

R

Rick Rogers

#2
Hi,

Actually, the correct location should be:

C:\Users\Mike\Favorites

Once that is (re)established, you should be able to delete all of the ones
in the \downloads folder.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mike Harrison" <walker7729@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D17DA067-D6DF-4B54-B86D-B94E4F5B44D4@microsoft.com...
> When I got my new computer with Vista I accidently moved a bunch of
> folders.
> I managed to fix it, and everything works fine except that due to some of
> my
> unsuccessful attempts, now my IE favorites are in
> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites\favorites\favorites\favorites instead of
> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites
> I cannot just delete all of the redundant directories because Internet
> Explorer requires all of them in order to find the favorites file.
> Is there any way to remove the redundant directories?
>
 

My Computer

M

Mike Harrison

#3
Hi
You may well be right about the correct location but when I do as you
suggest, IE says it can't find
c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites\favorites\favorites\favorites. I also
tried rebooting after following your suggestion but that didn't work either.
There must be some way to set the specific directory which IE looks for when
you click on "favorites" but I am unable to discover it.
Thank you for your help.

"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:O$WLQs$cHHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Actually, the correct location should be:
>
> C:\Users\Mike\Favorites
>
> Once that is (re)established, you should be able to delete all of the ones
> in the \downloads folder.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,
>
> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Mike Harrison" <walker7729@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D17DA067-D6DF-4B54-B86D-B94E4F5B44D4@microsoft.com...
>> When I got my new computer with Vista I accidently moved a bunch of
>> folders.
>> I managed to fix it, and everything works fine except that due to some of
>> my
>> unsuccessful attempts, now my IE favorites are in
>> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites\favorites\favorites\favorites instead
>> of
>> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites
>> I cannot just delete all of the redundant directories because Internet
>> Explorer requires all of them in order to find the favorites file.
>> Is there any way to remove the redundant directories?
>>

>
 

My Computer

K

Keith Miller MVP

#4
How are you trying to reassign the location of the Favorites folder?

Close IE, open the UserName folder on your desktop, right-click the
Favorites folder and select 'Properties'.

In the Properties dialog, select the 'Location' tab and use the 'Move'
button to select the folder 'C:\Users\Favorites', creating the folder if
necessary (the 'Move' button does not CREATE a folder in the folder you
select, it ASSIGNS the special folder designation to the folder you select).
Accept the option to move files, this will delete the lowest 'Favorites'
folder on the erroneous path.


--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Mike Harrison" <walker7729@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D17DA067-D6DF-4B54-B86D-B94E4F5B44D4@microsoft.com...
> When I got my new computer with Vista I accidently moved a bunch of
> folders.
> I managed to fix it, and everything works fine except that due to some of
> my
> unsuccessful attempts, now my IE favorites are in
> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites\favorites\favorites\favorites instead of
> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites
> I cannot just delete all of the redundant directories because Internet
> Explorer requires all of them in order to find the favorites file.
> Is there any way to remove the redundant directories?
>
 

My Computer

R

Rick Rogers

#5
Hi Mike,

In the registery here:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

The favorites string value (reg_expand_sz) should be:
%USERPROFILE%\Favorites

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Mike Harrison" <walker7729@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:C5E898BB-59A5-4013-AD0D-D0C4B8516AF7@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> You may well be right about the correct location but when I do as you
> suggest, IE says it can't find
> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites\favorites\favorites\favorites. I also
> tried rebooting after following your suggestion but that didn't work
> either. There must be some way to set the specific directory which IE
> looks for when you click on "favorites" but I am unable to discover it.
> Thank you for your help.
>
> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> news:O$WLQs$cHHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Actually, the correct location should be:
>>
>> C:\Users\Mike\Favorites
>>
>> Once that is (re)established, you should be able to delete all of the
>> ones in the \downloads folder.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,
>>
>> Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Mike Harrison" <walker7729@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:D17DA067-D6DF-4B54-B86D-B94E4F5B44D4@microsoft.com...
>>> When I got my new computer with Vista I accidently moved a bunch of
>>> folders.
>>> I managed to fix it, and everything works fine except that due to some
>>> of my
>>> unsuccessful attempts, now my IE favorites are in
>>> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites\favorites\favorites\favorites instead
>>> of
>>> c:\users\mike\downloads\favorites
>>> I cannot just delete all of the redundant directories because Internet
>>> Explorer requires all of them in order to find the favorites file.
>>> Is there any way to remove the redundant directories?
>>>

>>

>
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)