• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Internet explorer text box typing problem

D

drleeds

#1
I posted a message hours ago about this and it never appeared even
though Google said it would go right up. Sorry if it shows up later
and I am asking the same basic question.

When Itype anyting ig internetplorer ersion 7 under windows vist
itlooksike this. can anoe explain ths? I have totype very sowly t
avoid it. vey very slowy.

That's what it looks like when I type in a text box in Internet
Explorer 7. It does not happen with Safari, Opera or Firefox on this
same computer.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
 
D

Don Varnau

#2
Hi,
This message should have been posted to the newsgroup
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
but, since you're here ;-)

Google groups is a very awkward way to post to newsgroups. Microsoft's web
interface is somewhat better
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
Your first message did post, however.

A newsreader such as Windows Mail or Windows Live Mail is the best method.
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
http://www.tomsterdam.com/insideoe/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews

Back to IE7...
From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons, disable all add-ons. If the problem
disappears, re-enable add-ons one at a time until the problem returns and
you've found the guilty party. The troublesome program may not show up as an
add-on. Disable other non-essential, third-party programs such as
ad-blockers, appearance tweakers, etc to see if one of them is causing the
problem. The troublesome program may need to be updated or may not be
compatible with IE7 on Vista.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"drleeds" <drleeds@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1184871849.560324.282610@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> I posted a message hours ago about this and it never appeared even
> though Google said it would go right up. Sorry if it shows up later
> and I am asking the same basic question.
>
> When Itype anyting ig internetplorer ersion 7 under windows vist
> itlooksike this. can anoe explain ths? I have totype very sowly t
> avoid it. vey very slowy.
>
> That's what it looks like when I type in a text box in Internet
> Explorer 7. It does not happen with Safari, Opera or Firefox on this
> same computer.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks!
 
D

drleeds

#3
> From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons, disable all add-ons. If the problem
> disappears, re-enable add-ons one at a time until the problem returns and
> you've found the guilty party. The troublesome program may not show up as an
> add-on. Disable other non-essential, third-party programs such as
> ad-blockers, appearance tweakers, etc to see if one of them is causing the
> problem. The troublesome program may need to be updated or may not be
> compatible with IE7 on Vista.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>


Thank you for the advice. I did as you said and the first thing I
noticed is that IE started much faster than usual.

The typing problem is still present. I tried typing in various
websites' text boxes and it happened everywhere I tried it. The worst
case is at docs.google.com. It occurs on pages that are static also
(not web 2.0 stuff) but not nearly as bad.

Is it possible that it is because my cpu has a single core? I see
than most new computers have at least two so maybe Vista is configured
for two or more? I am just curious because I can not find any mention
of anyone else having this problem.

If it helps, the computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-TXN25N. It is a
suprisingly underpowered system for the amount of money it costs. I
guess it costs so much because of the weight (2.8 lbs) and small size.

Thanks again Don.
 
D

Don Varnau

#4
"drleeds" <drleeds@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1184871849.560324.282610@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
> I posted a message hours ago about this and it never appeared even
> though Google said it would go right up. Sorry if it shows up later
> and I am asking the same basic question.
>
> When Itype anyting ig internetplorer ersion 7 under windows vist
> itlooksike this. can anoe explain ths? I have totype very sowly t
> avoid it. vey very slowy.
>
> That's what it looks like when I type in a text box in Internet
> Explorer 7. It does not happen with Safari, Opera or Firefox on this
> same computer


"Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote
> > From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons, disable all add-ons. If the problem
> > disappears, re-enable add-ons one at a time until the problem returns

and
> > you've found the guilty party. The troublesome program may not show up

as an
> > add-on. Disable other non-essential, third-party programs such as
> > ad-blockers, appearance tweakers, etc to see if one of them is causing

the
> > problem. The troublesome program may need to be updated or may not be
> > compatible with IE7 on Vista.


"drleeds" <drleeds@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for the advice. I did as you said and the first thing I
> noticed is that IE started much faster than usual.
>
> The typing problem is still present. I tried typing in various
> websites' text boxes and it happened everywhere I tried it. The worst
> case is at docs.google.com. It occurs on pages that are static also
> (not web 2.0 stuff) but not nearly as bad.
>
> Is it possible that it is because my cpu has a single core? I see
> than most new computers have at least two so maybe Vista is configured
> for two or more? I am just curious because I can not find any mention
> of anyone else having this problem.
>
> If it helps, the computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-TXN25N. It is a
> suprisingly underpowered system for the amount of money it costs. I
> guess it costs so much because of the weight (2.8 lbs) and small size.
>
> Thanks again Don.


Hi,
See:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-NZ/Help/0e143ef9-10c6-44b5-89fb-a78c0f726afd1033.mspx
Turn off all Ease of Access options for the keyboard. Go a level deeper,
click on "Set up filter keys" and deselect everything except 'Display a
warning message..." and "Make a sound..."

If that's not the solution, we'll take a closer look at programs loading at
startup.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]
 
I

Ian Betts

#5
Can ask why you use IE7. Why not just have newsgroups streamed to your
computer through Mail of Live Mail.

--
Ian

"arsdcs1" <ars@csi-america.com> wrote in message
news:arsdcs1.2u6ht1@no-mx.tabletquestions.com...
>
> I am a new user to this forum and I am having the same problems with IE7
> and typing problems/missed characters? I have tried all of the previous
> suggestions but still have the problem. I would welcome any additional
> insights. It has taken 3 min to type and correct this short post. Ugh!
>
>
> --
> arsdcs1
>
 
D

Don Varnau

#6
Hi,
Do you have your own separate topic going or did you change posting names
from drleeds to arsdcs1?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"arsdcs1" <ars@csi-america.com> wrote in message
news:arsdcs1.2u6oa5@no-mx.tabletquestions.com...
>
> I guess I'm just a diehard. I find myself using FireFox more frequently,
> for obvious reasons, but still need to get IE7 working for certain web
> applications. Any suggestions to fix my problem?
>
> arsdcs1
 
C

Cal Bear '66

#7
You cannot uninstall and reinstall IE7 in Vista.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!


"arsdcs1" <ars@csi-america.com> wrote in message
news:arsdcs1.2u8duw@no-mx.tabletquestions.com...
>
> Maybe I should have started my own topic but since "drleeds" (different
> person) was already addressing the subject, I decided to join this
> discussion. Is uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 too radical? I am
> suspecting that the problem would just re-emerge given that the source
> has not been identified?
>
>
> --
> arsdcs1
 
C

Charlie Tame

#8
arsdcs1 wrote:
> Maybe I should have started my own topic but since "drleeds" (different
> person) was already addressing the subject, I decided to join this
> discussion. Is uninstalling and reinstalling IE7 too radical? I am
> suspecting that the problem would just re-emerge given that the source
> has not been identified?
>
>



Make sure there's no adware or spyware running, always get advice on
utilities for those problems from HERE because some of the cures are
worse than the disease and I haven't used enough recently to comment
fairly on what's most efficient. Spybot and Adaware used to be - and
Ewido used to be but someone here probably has more recent experience.
In any case list what you have so people can spot problematic ones.

Disable / unistall (Preferably the letter) ALL browser add ons. Many are
flakey to say the least. Again list any you have / have had installed.

What exactly is happening? You are typing letters that never appear, are
slow to appear or get duplicated or what? I appreciate you can't "Type"
the problem but there may be a clue, a lot of the time when people have
problems a new train of thought can help them find a fix. Can you
associate any event with the time this problem started?

If it appears browser related consider downloading Firefox to see if
that works better. If so at least you have something to use while an
answer is researched. If this "Only" happens with explorer then it is
maybe something that others also have and that narrows down the search.

Sorry not to be more specific but unless someone already knows the
answer you have to start somewhere.
 
D

drleeds

#9
On Jul 20, 6:13 am, "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
> "drleeds" <drle...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> news:1184871849.560324.282610@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com...
>
> > I posted a message hours ago about this and it never appeared even
> > though Google said it would go right up. Sorry if it shows up later
> > and I am asking the same basic question.

>
> > When Itype anyting ig internetplorer ersion 7 under windows vist
> > itlooksike this. can anoe explain ths? I have totype very sowly t
> > avoid it. vey very slowy.

>
> > That's what it looks like when I type in a text box in Internet
> > Explorer 7. It does not happen with Safari, Opera or Firefox on this
> > same computer

>
> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote
>
>
>
> > > From IE> Tools> Manage add-ons, disable all add-ons. If the problem
> > > disappears, re-enable add-ons one at a time until the problem returns

> and
> > > you've found the guilty party. The troublesome program may not show up

> as an
> > > add-on. Disable other non-essential, third-party programs such as
> > > ad-blockers, appearance tweakers, etc to see if one of them is causing

> the
> > > problem. The troublesome program may need to be updated or may not be
> > > compatible with IE7 on Vista.

> "drleeds" <drle...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for the advice. I did as you said and the first thing I
> > noticed is that IE started much faster than usual.

>
> > The typing problem is still present. I tried typing in various
> > websites' text boxes and it happened everywhere I tried it. The worst
> > case is at docs.google.com. It occurs on pages that are static also
> > (not web 2.0 stuff) but not nearly as bad.

>
> > Is it possible that it is because my cpu has a single core? I see
> > than most new computers have at least two so maybe Vista is configured
> > for two or more? I am just curious because I can not find any mention
> > of anyone else having this problem.

>
> > If it helps, the computer is a Sony Vaio VGN-TXN25N. It is a
> > suprisingly underpowered system for the amount of money it costs. I
> > guess it costs so much because of the weight (2.8 lbs) and small size.

>
> > Thanks again Don.

>
> Hi,
> See:http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-NZ/Help/0e143ef9-10c6-44b...
> Turn off all Ease of Access options for the keyboard. Go a level deeper,
> click on "Set up filter keys" and deselect everything except 'Display a
> warning message..." and "Make a sound..."
>
> If that's not the solution, we'll take a closer look at programs loading at
> startup.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]


Thank you again Don for your help. I did finally post the question to
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general since I believe that there
is a possibility that this is a bug that needs to be addressed.
Disabling various plug-ins, add-ons and programs seems like more of a
workaround solution. I have disabled all of these things and I have
experimented with disabling as many startup items as possible to the
point that my system is not fully functional. I started by disabling
everything not created by Microsoft and then even some of their
stuff. Still, nothing resolves the problem. It is definitely
improved by disabling things, but then my system is not adequately
functional. For example, I can disable active virus protection, but I
should be able to use virus protection and it does not cause a problem
for other browsers.

Regarding the use of a different name: I have only posted as drleeds
to this topic.

Regarding the use of other browsers: Firefox had a major
incompatibility problem with Vista when I first tried it. They have
probably fixed it by now. I do not like the way Opera works and it
does not work on many sites that I either need to use or like to use.
Safari is by far the best for mainstream websites. It is still a
little rough and it does not work on some sites that I need. I use it
for nearly everything. IE is the best for general compatibility with
all sites and I like the download interface.

At this point I am thinking about running Windows XP in VMware
Workstation to have access to functionality that I need without giving
up hardware compatibility of the pre-installed Windows Vista system on
my portable computer. I am already doing this with Redhat Linux with
good results.

I understand that there are bugs to be ironed out and I don't mind
waiting and being part of the process, but I wish that those people
involved in directly in this development process would acknowledge the
existence of these bugs and not always blame problems on our system
configurations. I am fairly good at troubleshooting and I have spent
a great deal of time trying to work out this problem both on my own
and with your help.

Tip: a fingerprint scanner is great for entering usernames and
passwords in IE. I'm sure that there are other similar solutions, but
my notebook computer came with one and I use it on many sites with IE
to avoid the frustrating problem of characters being dropped from my
password or username entry when trying to log in to sites.
 
#10
as you see i have te same polm s you

I have to use notepad to type anything in a text box on almost every website (yahoo mail seems to work just fine though). Not only are text boxes included in this problem but data fields as well. Took me forever to sign up as a user on this forum simply to type in a username and password! The reason I am posting a reply is that I believe that it may be possible that the fingerprint scanner could be the actual cause of this issue. I also have a fingerprint scanner, which seems to be our only commonality. I'm running a Dell XPS M1530 w/ Vista Home Premium x64, Intel T9300 C2D 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM, etc, so its not a problem with computing power. It's also a brand new laptop so its pretty frustrating. Any replies from Microsoft on this yet?