Issues with Vista file explorer view settings

The111

Hi, I'm new to Vista and a few things are bothering me at the moment:

1) If I set my current folder to "list" view and then go and "apply current settings to all folders"... in XP this would do just that: put every single folder on all my disks in "list view" by default. Unfortunately, Vista still seems to try to display what it considers "media folders" as "tile view" until I manually change each one to "list" view. Do I have any way to set them all to list as I intend?

2) When I turn on the "status bar" in flie explorer, it does indeed show the status bar, and if I click on a file it will show the size of that file in the status bar. In XP however, if no file was selected it would show the combined size of all the files in the folder, and if I selected a specific group of files it would also show their combined filesize. Neither of these seem to show up on the status bar in Vista.

3) Is there any way to prevent folders from "lighting up" as you move the mouse over them? I would call this "pre-select highlight" after a similarly named (and similarly disliked) feature in a CAD program I use.

4) This one is kind of stupid, but sometimes due to all my external drives, I like to have a long (tall) but narrow vertical window, where the folder names just fill up the width. If I scroll down the list and either delete or rename something, the whole list apparently disappears, but it has actually just scrolled off the screen somehow, even though there is no scrollbar present. A simple F5 will fix things but this still sucks.

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 8800GT
    Sound Card
    Bgears b-Enspirer
    Case
    Antec 1200
Hi, I'm new to Vista and a few things are bothering me at the moment:

1) If I set my current folder to "list" view and then go and "apply current settings to all folders"... in XP this would do just that: put every single folder on all my disks in "list view" by default. Unfortunately, Vista still seems to try to display what it considers "media folders" as "tile view" until I manually change each one to "list" view. Do I have any way to set them all to list as I intend?

2) When I turn on the "status bar" in flie explorer, it does indeed show the status bar, and if I click on a file it will show the size of that file in the status bar. In XP however, if no file was selected it would show the combined size of all the files in the folder, and if I selected a specific group of files it would also show their combined filesize. Neither of these seem to show up on the status bar in Vista.

3) Is there any way to prevent folders from "lighting up" as you move the mouse over them? I would call this "pre-select highlight" after a similarly named (and similarly disliked) feature in a CAD program I use.

4) This one is kind of stupid, but sometimes due to all my external drives, I like to have a long (tall) but narrow vertical window, where the folder names just fill up the width. If I scroll down the list and either delete or rename something, the whole list apparently disappears, but it has actually just scrolled off the screen somehow, even though there is no scrollbar present. A simple F5 will fix things but this still sucks.

Thanks!

Hi The111,

Here is some info that should help:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/77444-windows-explorer-folder-type-templates.htmlhttp://www.vistax64.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=743051&
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/70819-windows-explorer-folder-view-settings.html?

As for not getting the display for multiple file selection size, it is showing the size of a multiple selection, but not the size of all when none is selected. To get that I hit Ctrl+A to select all the files.

Hope this helps you out.

Gary

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    CPU
    Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
    Memory
    Crucial Ballistix 4x2GB PC2 6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB