• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

laptop very slow. frequent hangs. help

L

laptoplaptop

#1
okay, hi. please take some patience in reading my problem because this might
be long. i really need your help. thanks

First of all, let me introduce to you my 2-month old HP Pavilion dv2700
laptop:

Windows Vista Home Premium
Core2duo T7500 2.2GHz Processors
2G RAM
160G Hard disk

I think my laptop has good enough specs but lately it seems unstable and
very very slow.

It started when frequent CHKDSK appears during start-up even I turned-off my
laptop correctly. I kept on permitting it since I think it is really
necessary to perform it though i thought something might be wrong. Anyway,
last week while I was surfing the internet, my laptop just COMPLETELY hanged.
I tried waiting for it to respond but it didnt. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del but
still didnt work. My laptop is essentially dead. And so i just pressed the
power key to turn it off. When it turned on, it performed the CHKDSK and
proceed to the loading window of Windos Vista. (I actually do not know if it
is really called as loading window but it appears normally right after
turning the pc on. It is the one where a green bar is scrolling horizontally
above the words Microsoft something something...). Normally, it takes 13
seconds to finish loading but this time, it just didnt stop loading. So i
reboot the laptop and when it opened, STARTUP REPAIR window appeared. This
time I thought something is really wrong.

The startup repair feature was able to correct the problem. I was able to
use my laptop again. But I was still bothered and worried by the fact that
something like that appeared and it is still VERY slow compared to its
performance before. Its like I am using a pentium 1 laptop. Anyway, my
laptop's preinstalled Norton Internet security is about to expire last week
and so I decided to uninstall it already. I also heard that this software
tends to slow down computers. I replace norton with Kaspersky Internet
Security and it was able to detect flaws in my laptop. But this time, it
really got slower. I downloaded CCleaner and System Mechanic Professional 7
trial version. They were able to further clean-up my pc but still it's slow.

Right now, I got a message saying that my Hard disk is CORRUPTED (oh no,
huhu).I cannot back it up and even do some partiotioning. I actually realized
that I should have backed up my files before and partition its drive. Tsk.
Anyway, I restarted it again to perform CHKDSK. This time, it is now 5 steps
which I think is usually 3 only. And it was like more than 1 hour!!!! :( And
when I got into windows, It hanged again completely. The process just repeats
and I am worried my laptop will crash.

Please help me. I actually do not know what to do now. If should i perform
system restore or just find a good antivirus. Should I just defrag? Should i
completely restore it in its factory setting? That's actually my last option.
Are there alternatives? Coz everyday a new problem seems to appear and my
laptop gets slower than ever. HELP!!!

Thanks
 
J

Juan Perez

#2
Hi:

I have also a DV2700. Did you have the chance to see the event log in your
laptop? Personally I will make a backup and make a reimage of the laptop,
and test it for a few days. If you still have the problem and the system
still on warranty, I will ask to HP, to replace the HDD.

--
Un saludo
Juan Perez


"laptoplaptop" <laptoplaptop@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4FDEBE4C-64A6-401C-9067-C5C60E648A31@xxxxxx

> okay, hi. please take some patience in reading my problem because this
> might
> be long. i really need your help. thanks
>
> First of all, let me introduce to you my 2-month old HP Pavilion dv2700
> laptop:
>
> Windows Vista Home Premium
> Core2duo T7500 2.2GHz Processors
> 2G RAM
> 160G Hard disk
>
> I think my laptop has good enough specs but lately it seems unstable and
> very very slow.
>
> It started when frequent CHKDSK appears during start-up even I turned-off
> my
> laptop correctly. I kept on permitting it since I think it is really
> necessary to perform it though i thought something might be wrong. Anyway,
> last week while I was surfing the internet, my laptop just COMPLETELY
> hanged.
> I tried waiting for it to respond but it didnt. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del but
> still didnt work. My laptop is essentially dead. And so i just pressed the
> power key to turn it off. When it turned on, it performed the CHKDSK and
> proceed to the loading window of Windos Vista. (I actually do not know if
> it
> is really called as loading window but it appears normally right after
> turning the pc on. It is the one where a green bar is scrolling
> horizontally
> above the words Microsoft something something...). Normally, it takes 13
> seconds to finish loading but this time, it just didnt stop loading. So i
> reboot the laptop and when it opened, STARTUP REPAIR window appeared. This
> time I thought something is really wrong.
>
> The startup repair feature was able to correct the problem. I was able to
> use my laptop again. But I was still bothered and worried by the fact that
> something like that appeared and it is still VERY slow compared to its
> performance before. Its like I am using a pentium 1 laptop. Anyway, my
> laptop's preinstalled Norton Internet security is about to expire last
> week
> and so I decided to uninstall it already. I also heard that this software
> tends to slow down computers. I replace norton with Kaspersky Internet
> Security and it was able to detect flaws in my laptop. But this time, it
> really got slower. I downloaded CCleaner and System Mechanic Professional
> 7
> trial version. They were able to further clean-up my pc but still it's
> slow.
>
> Right now, I got a message saying that my Hard disk is CORRUPTED (oh no,
> huhu).I cannot back it up and even do some partiotioning. I actually
> realized
> that I should have backed up my files before and partition its drive. Tsk.
> Anyway, I restarted it again to perform CHKDSK. This time, it is now 5
> steps
> which I think is usually 3 only. And it was like more than 1 hour!!!! :(
> And
> when I got into windows, It hanged again completely. The process just
> repeats
> and I am worried my laptop will crash.
>
> Please help me. I actually do not know what to do now. If should i perform
> system restore or just find a good antivirus. Should I just defrag? Should
> i
> completely restore it in its factory setting? That's actually my last
> option.
> Are there alternatives? Coz everyday a new problem seems to appear and my
> laptop gets slower than ever. HELP!!!
>
> Thanks
>
>
 
L

laptoplaptop

#3
hi sir,

are you referring to the event viewer? yes i already saw it just now. how
can i make a back-up and what needs to be backed-up? i also do not know how
to make a reimage of the laptop.

yes i think my notebook is still under warranty. i already emailed HP
regarding this. though it seems i am also having problem receiving their
confirmation email.

i have another problem, since the first time I tried using system restore
before up to now, it had never been successful. after rebooting, a window
will appear that the system restore was not successful for unknown reasons.
why is that? am i gonna be able to do it correctly?

thanks!
 
M

Mike Hall - MVP

#4
"laptoplaptop" <laptoplaptop@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:66CA5148-81E8-449C-B82B-A695B88649A6@xxxxxx

> hi sir,
>
> are you referring to the event viewer? yes i already saw it just now. how
> can i make a back-up and what needs to be backed-up? i also do not know
> how
> to make a reimage of the laptop.
>
> yes i think my notebook is still under warranty. i already emailed HP
> regarding this. though it seems i am also having problem receiving their
> confirmation email.
>
> i have another problem, since the first time I tried using system restore
> before up to now, it had never been successful. after rebooting, a window
> will appear that the system restore was not successful for unknown
> reasons.
> why is that? am i gonna be able to do it correctly?
>
> thanks!
>
>

Burn your important files, pictures, music or whatever to a CD or DVD, then
call HP and ask them about the procedure which will return your laptop to
'factory'..

If after this, you still get chkdsk requests, return the entire laptop to
wherever you bought it and ask for one that works..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx
 
#5
okay, hi. please take some patience in reading my problem because this might
be long. i really need your help. thanks

First of all, let me introduce to you my 2-month old HP Pavilion dv2700
laptop:

Windows Vista Home Premium
Core2duo T7500 2.2GHz Processors
2G RAM
160G Hard disk

I think my laptop has good enough specs but lately it seems unstable and
very very slow.

It started when frequent CHKDSK appears during start-up even I turned-off my
laptop correctly. I kept on permitting it since I think it is really
necessary to perform it though i thought something might be wrong. Anyway,
last week while I was surfing the internet, my laptop just COMPLETELY hanged.
I tried waiting for it to respond but it didnt. I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Del but
still didnt work. My laptop is essentially dead. And so i just pressed the
power key to turn it off. When it turned on, it performed the CHKDSK and
proceed to the loading window of Windos Vista. (I actually do not know if it
is really called as loading window but it appears normally right after
turning the pc on. It is the one where a green bar is scrolling horizontally
above the words Microsoft something something...). Normally, it takes 13
seconds to finish loading but this time, it just didnt stop loading. So i
reboot the laptop and when it opened, STARTUP REPAIR window appeared. This
time I thought something is really wrong.

The startup repair feature was able to correct the problem. I was able to
use my laptop again. But I was still bothered and worried by the fact that
something like that appeared and it is still VERY slow compared to its
performance before. Its like I am using a pentium 1 laptop. Anyway, my
laptop's preinstalled Norton Internet security is about to expire last week
and so I decided to uninstall it already. I also heard that this software
tends to slow down computers. I replace norton with Kaspersky Internet
Security and it was able to detect flaws in my laptop. But this time, it
really got slower. I downloaded CCleaner and System Mechanic Professional 7
trial version. They were able to further clean-up my pc but still it's slow.

Right now, I got a message saying that my Hard disk is CORRUPTED (oh no,
huhu).I cannot back it up and even do some partiotioning. I actually realized
that I should have backed up my files before and partition its drive. Tsk.
Anyway, I restarted it again to perform CHKDSK. This time, it is now 5 steps
which I think is usually 3 only. And it was like more than 1 hour!!!! :( And
when I got into windows, It hanged again completely. The process just repeats
and I am worried my laptop will crash.

Please help me. I actually do not know what to do now. If should i perform
system restore or just find a good antivirus. Should I just defrag? Should i
completely restore it in its factory setting? That's actually my last option.
Are there alternatives? Coz everyday a new problem seems to appear and my
laptop gets slower than ever. HELP!!!

Thanks

Hai, buddy..
I'm really sorry for the inconveience that you're facing the Computer.
Usually the Vista Operating System is slow as compared to its previous versions...
You have tried almost all the possible steps to resolve the issue...:(

However, I suggest that you setup the Windows Readyboost feature on a removable disk or flash memory drive and check if it helps.

Also, the presence of two or more anti-virus programs may decrease computer performance.

Upgrading the system memory is likely to improve performance.

I hope this helps a bit
Bye,,, nishanth
 
J

Juan Perez

#6
Hi:

As Mike says, you should burn in a CD or DVD , your personal files, or copy
to an external HDD. Then there is an option, when you are booting your
machine, to press one Fx key, I do not the have my laptop with me in this
moment, and you have the option to restore your Operating system to the
default configuration. From that moment you can test your machine for some
time. If it fails again, return to HP. I advise you to get in contact with
HP, to help you with the process or reinstaling the operating system.

--
Un saludo
Juan Perez


"laptoplaptop" <laptoplaptop@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:66CA5148-81E8-449C-B82B-A695B88649A6@xxxxxx

> hi sir,
>
> are you referring to the event viewer? yes i already saw it just now. how
> can i make a back-up and what needs to be backed-up? i also do not know
> how
> to make a reimage of the laptop.
>
> yes i think my notebook is still under warranty. i already emailed HP
> regarding this. though it seems i am also having problem receiving their
> confirmation email.
>
> i have another problem, since the first time I tried using system restore
> before up to now, it had never been successful. after rebooting, a window
> will appear that the system restore was not successful for unknown
> reasons.
> why is that? am i gonna be able to do it correctly?
>
> thanks!
>
>
 
M

Mike Hall - MVP

#7
"Juan Perez" <pgjuan3@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uqfKAsUmIHA.4196@xxxxxx

> Hi:
>
> As Mike says, you should burn in a CD or DVD , your personal files, or
> copy to an external HDD. Then there is an option, when you are booting
> your machine, to press one Fx key, I do not the have my laptop with me in
> this moment, and you have the option to restore your Operating system to
> the default configuration. From that moment you can test your machine for
> some time. If it fails again, return to HP. I advise you to get in contact
> with HP, to help you with the process or reinstaling the operating system.
>
> --
> Un saludo
> Juan Perez
>
>
> "laptoplaptop" <laptoplaptop@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:66CA5148-81E8-449C-B82B-A695B88649A6@xxxxxx

>> hi sir,
>>
>> are you referring to the event viewer? yes i already saw it just now. how
>> can i make a back-up and what needs to be backed-up? i also do not know
>> how
>> to make a reimage of the laptop.
>>
>> yes i think my notebook is still under warranty. i already emailed HP
>> regarding this. though it seems i am also having problem receiving their
>> confirmation email.
>>
>> i have another problem, since the first time I tried using system restore
>> before up to now, it had never been successful. after rebooting, a window
>> will appear that the system restore was not successful for unknown
>> reasons.
>> why is that? am i gonna be able to do it correctly?
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>>
>
>

Juan

HPs I have come across have the F key access to destructive recovery and
testing locked out in BIOS which is why I suggested that the OP contacts HP
about it..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..
http://dts-l.com/goodpost.htm
How to use the Microsoft Product Support Newsgroups..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=newswhelp&style=toc
Mike's Window - My Blog..
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/default.aspx