• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Latest Version of Adobe Reader

william gunkel

Preacher Man
I have the 8.1 and the question is should I delete the older version and update to the newer Adobe 9. Is there pros and cons on this and what is the best way to go about it. Thank You

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hello William,

I have added two more links in the first post that will tell what's new in Adobe 9. You should be able to install it on top of Adobe 8.1 without any problems. If you do, then just uninstall the old version and install the new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

william gunkel

Preacher Man
Hello William,

I have added two more links in the first post that will tell what's new in Adobe 9. You should be able to install it on top of Adobe 8.1 without any problems. If you do, then just uninstall the old version and install the new one.

Hope this helps,
Shawn
Thanks Shawn, I did install over the top of Adobe 8.1 without any problems. I also updated Flash and downloaded Shockwave. I also noticed that Adobe has a Web Media Player and I am trying to find some information on this also. It seems that at every turn there is a new player that you just got to have. Unless I can find something better I will keep what I have. Again thanks for the great job that you are doing.

When I was trying to install the latest version, it just stopped setup in 93.3% as the application totally downloaded and installed...
What happened? Does it encountered some system errors? Or just for the connection?

At very beginning, I just thought the must be last a long time. But after about 2 hours, it still told me pending! So I took it paused, and tried again, it performed the same......

william gunkel

Preacher Man
When I was trying to install the latest version, it just stopped setup in 93.3% as the application totally downloaded and installed...
What happened? Does it encountered some system errors? Or just for the connection?

At very beginning, I just thought the must be last a long time. But after about 2 hours, it still told me pending! So I took it paused, and tried again, it performed the same......
Daneii, you might try what Brink said in a previous post on this. Go to Programs and Features and Uninstall the older version and then download the newer version. It would appear there is a problem somewhere with reference to the download speed. Please post back with the results. Also read some of the posts on this site as it is the best that I have found on Vista.

Last edited:
i have install adobe reader 9...it more cool right?
before adobe reader 9 ,i used adobe reader 7 and after that updated to adobe reader 9.
Thanks friends for information...

okay I am trying to help a friend who has a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista Home Premium OS.

Somehow she managed to unistall her Adobe reader. Everytime I try to download it for her (she's on dialup and I have high speed so she brought it here) when it completes all of the desktop icons change to the Adobe icon and it tries to open the files with that program. When I unistall it goes back to the way it was. I did a system restore to the farthest point I could in case when she was fooling around she did something. However, it does the same thing!

help!

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hello Bambi, and welcome to Vista Forums.

I'm not certain what you are trying to ask. You say that it "tries to open the file" after reinstalling Adobe Reader, but did it work like it was suppose to?

You might also check to see if your friend may have just disabled the Adobe Reader add-on in Internet Explorer.

Shawn

sorry to be vague! once the adobe is installed every single icon on the desktop becomes an adobe icon. when I double click on one (eg.,. 'my computer') adobe tries to open it and of course it doesn't work.

To solve her immediate problem I installed the foxit reader but would love to know why this happened. I will check her internet explorer to see if that caused the problem.

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Bambi,

It sounds like Adobe Reader may have been selected or become the default program for all shortcuts somehow.

Clicking on the lnk item in the box at this link will give you a download that will restore the default shortcut associations.

Hope this helps,
Shawn