Like to stay with Vista, but looking for sound advice going forward

As indicated in profile I’m running VHP 32bit with protection being Microsoft Security Essentials. Browser is FireFox. My unit is a 2008 vintage CPU that has Dual core 2.30 GHz processor, 4 GB Ram and 1 Terabyte Drive.

I have no desire to purchase new computer with Windows 10, as what I have now is completely adequate for what I use it for. Also if I changed my unit to Windows 10, I worry about hardware, software, etc. that might not be compatible. After reading/learning a lot from this forum I’m incline to keep running Vista and maybe switching to third party security software after support ends for MSE.

Since I consider myself only slightly better than a novice with operating systems. I was wondering if more experienced individuals here might be able to suggest a path that fits my desire, that I may have overlooked because of my limited experience.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
I think a lot of people will tell you you need to upgrade to 10 but I won't.
I use palemoon as my main browser and Avast as my main anti-virus.
I have other security (Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Private Firewall, Key Scrambler) that run all the time.
I have security that runs when I want it to (Malwarebytes Anti-malware, Autoruns,) a few others.
Security won't be the biggest problem, finding drivers for any new hardware you install might be though.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
ilikefree thanks for info on security software to consider (investigate). I’m aware that many will continue to drop support for Vista. I can get McAfee for free thru IS provider, but find conflicting info whether it still supports Vista or when it will end. Even FireFox support is only until September this year, not sure about Palemoon you use, but I’ll be investigating. Even trying to learn more about server 2008 for support some have mentioned here but don’t quite understand that yet.

I know I’ll be driven to Win 10 at some point by hardware or software requirements, but hope to make it until current PC dies which maybe a while….. Thanks again for you time and help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
McAfee does not support Vista (check their system requirements). I'm also using Security Essentials, but have already downloaded an Avast offline installer in preparation for doomsday. Webroot once promised to support XP until April 2019, but I'm not sure if that includes Vista. I haven't tried Pale Moon yet, but it's similar to Firefox and hopefully will support Vista for longer. Several forum members highly recommend it. I've been tinkering with Slimjet lately, which is very similar to Chrome; but frankly I still prefer Firefox. Mozilla might prolong the life of Firefox ESR 52 (coming next month) if large numbers of XP, Vista and NPAPI diehards are still using it. (Mozilla plans to end support for all NPAPI plugins except Flash Player beginning with non-ESR version 52.) My hope is to continue running Vista until the next version of Windows is available (presumably Windows 11 in 2018).

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Vistaar thanks for info, been following your comments awhile when lurking here. Because you are using mostly same software and seem to have similar plan down the road. Not to leave out that your talent with software experimentation far exceeds mine. I hope FireFox does prolong ESR 52 as I prefer it like you. I have used Avast in past on earlier system and might also try it with death of MSE unless a better route emerges before then. Thanks again and I’ll definitely be following your post.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
I'd upgrade to 7 if you can find a legit copy.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
townsbg thanks for suggestion, I have consider that option but since it will only be supported ~ 3 more years not sure that would be logical move. I’m more concerned about security over next few years than upgrading OS, which is another reason why I’m in no hurry to move to 10. Plus not really into all the bells and whistle type advancements, old school DOS diehard I guess :D. Going to win 7 would avoid the compatibility concerns but maybe for short period. :confused:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
I’m more concerned about security over next few years than upgrading OS...

Exactly the reason to go to 7. You will be more up to date longer than with Vista.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Exactly the reason to go to 7. You will be more up to date longer than with Vista.

Point well made and will consider it more seriously. I guess I was hoping for some miracle cure to last a while longer before moving up, so I could then do hardware and software at same time. Thanks for your time and expertise, will look harder at availability of 7 software.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
Vistaar is exactly right to draw attention to browser support for Vista...it is the main factor to consider for security.
You can use a sandboxing program, such as the most excellent Sandboxie, to isolate the browser from the OS.
This will protect your OS from any exploits (unwanted programs, downloads, etc.) of an outdated browser.

Security also means using up-to-date ciphers for the https: connections...I don't know off-hand if those contained in Internet Explorer 9 are being maintained by the security updates...those contained in IE11 and recent versions of other browsers are probably more up-to-date (of course IE11 is available in Windows 7 but not Vista).
Something else I'm not sure about...if you run, say, a standalone program which connects to the Internet, it may use built-in Windows-IE routines to do so, and perhaps use those same out-of-date ciphers.

Getting a genuine copy of Windows 7 will unfortunately prove troublesome, the last reasonable opportunity was around Spring of 2014 as XP was coming off support and the interface shock of Windows 8 turned people off. Even then a Windows 7 Ultimate full retail version sold for $300-400. Now the supply has pretty much dried up.
Your computer might be able to run Windows 8/8.1, available for much less $, if you can find drivers for your particular hardware.

Regarding a "Windows 11", from what I've read, the future will just be "Windows", with Win 10 as the base. New releases are pushed to your computer...you can't really stop them. Eventually everyone will be on the same release, no more different versions. All the built-in so-called spyware (data sharing with Microsoft) may drive some security-conscious people to seek out an alternative OS, perhaps Linux.

My Computer

Wow virtual6 that is a comprehensive explanation of things to consider. So much so that it makes my head spin to point an owl would be envious :D. But it does spark interest to improve my understanding.

Have not heard of sandbox programs before, will have to do home work there. If I understand your comments correctly, it would help security if browser wasn’t doing good job or adding additional protection beyond browser and maybe even security software.

I hope ciphers will be covered by Fixfox which will be maintained thru Sept. 17 and maybe beyond. That is my default browser which most standalone programs will use, but hadn’t thought about programs that might use built-in IE routes (something else to think about).

Yeah, finding good safe copy of Windows 7 for price that justifies only using for maybe 3 more years is a major concern. Defiantly wouldn’t go Windows 8/8.1, would just jump straight to Win 10 before that. With limited knowledge, I guess was hoping to just keep using Vista without updates. By keeping a browser and security software that continues to support Vista until I’m ready to upgrade everything in one foul swoop. I simply hate throwing away good hardware simply because of an OS, maybe worse is teaching my computer inept wife a new operating system :cry:. Maybe I can even add sandbox software to the mix.

Anyway thanks so much for your time and effort in this detailed explanation, more food for thought.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
IMO Vista and 7 aren't that much different. They are much closer than 8 or 10. That is really quite a change.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
I, too, hate to throw out the older hardware but at some point we may have to abandon our old computers.
At some point, you will not even be able to run newer Windows on older machines, Microsoft will begin to check which processor you have.

There is nothing wrong with Win 8.1 despite the user interface issues, which can be mastered.
I suggested it as the most economical upgrade, and much less intrusive privacy-wise than Win 10.

In any case, if you're not particularly experienced with installing a new OS or transferring all the applications from the old system, then you can stay on Vista...but I highly recommend using Sandboxie. It works great for me on all my systems including Vista. I do not go onto the Interweb without it. It is not a filter to keep malware from being downloaded...instead the downloaded file (and any changes to files and registry entries) goes into the "sandbox"...when you close the browser and delete the sandbox, poof!...file and changes are gone...and your system stays clean.
To be sure, browsers like Internet Explorer have some sandboxing features, but these are implemented in a different way using complicated levels of permissions and restrictions.

My Computer

.........at some point we may have to abandon our old computers.......
Your right, I’m just trying to push that point out few more years.

.......much less intrusive privacy-wise than Win 10......
That’s another reason I’m not real keen about going to Win 10. It seems advancing technologies are as much about data collecting as convenience enhancements.

...when you close the browser and delete the sandbox, poof!...file and changes are gone...and your system stays clean....

[FONT=&quot]Definitely going to try Sandboxie. I assume there’s away to allow things to transfer to system that you need or want to allow. [/FONT]

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
[FONT=&amp]I assume there’s away to allow things to transfer to system that you need or want to allow. [/FONT]
Absolutely.
The browser can be allowed to change some things outside the sandbox, such as browser cookies, and browser history and bookmarks, trading a small measure of security and privacy for convenience.
Files in specified folders can trigger a user prompt for transfer (recovery) from the sandbox.
There are a multitude of settings, but the default configuration is good right out of the box (I had to say that).
You can run other programs under Sandboxie, not just browsers...for example, run your email program concurrently under a differently named sandbox. Any program over which I want more control, or do not trust, I will try to run under Sandboxie.

One caveat might be that as anti-virus programs become more aggressive, there might be interference with Sandboxie.
In fact, just last evening, Norton removed and quarantined the Sandboxie user control panel in my task bar...poof! it just disappeared with no notification whatsoever! Norton has done this to me before with other programs, in order to "keep me safe". I both love and hate Norton, but the hating part has been increasing.

My Computer

Thanks virtual6 for reply. It happens I’ve been viewing Q&A about Sandboxie in last hour and was starting to get feel of what you just posted.

I think working around anti-virus program glitches maybe manageable. However it sounds like Norton might be making you question that statement. :D

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB

To update this thread, I decided to take your advice and go with 7. I was able to locate a legit copy for refurbished PC's at reasonable price. Install and activation went well, except for update system error when trying to get updates (201 updates!) corrected after a little research. Anyway back up and running, Thanks for your help and the others here too!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Compaq
    CPU
    AMD Athion X2
    Memory
    4 GB
A good choice. If you ever have any problems with it you can head on over to our 7 forum.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
I prefer Toolwiz Timefreeze to sandboxie I just find it easier

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo Thinkpad T400
    CPU
    Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    Motherboard
    LENOVO 64734VM
    Memory
    2.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 531MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family
    Sound Card
    Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    1x 180GB Intel 530 series SSD
    1 x 120GB Hitachi 5400rmp
    1 x 650GB Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    1x 1Tb Western Digital Elements 5400rpm
    Internet Speed
    Medium for New Zealand
    Other Info
    Weakest part of my computer is the graphics chipset.
    Only ever used a laptop.
    Also use USB Freeview TV Card
    Lenovo Docking Station
    External Speakers
    Other bits a pieces as needed
Back