• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

live mail password login

S

Sparky Pete.

#1
Dear All,

Can anybody explain to me why I do not need to enter my password to access
'windows live mail'? On windows vista?

I found out by accident when I clicked on the cancel button (because I
changed my mind to log in) and it loaded the program up anyway and
synchronized with my 'windows live hotmail' account as normal.

So why do i need have to type my password at all?

is this security problem for 'windows Live Mail'? As if i don't log off my
pc anyone could access it.

Anybody know of a solution?

Sparky.
 

My Computer

I

Ildhund

#2
Press F1 and read the answer to FAQ "Do I need to sign in to use Windows
Live Mail?"
--
Noel

"Sparky Pete." <SparkyPete@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:2928E945-DC01-4164-A382-F435097A8505@xxxxxx

> Dear All,
>
> Can anybody explain to me why I do not need to enter my password to access
> 'windows live mail'? On windows vista?
>
> I found out by accident when I clicked on the cancel button (because I
> changed my mind to log in) and it loaded the program up anyway and
> synchronized with my 'windows live hotmail' account as normal.
>
> So why do i need have to type my password at all?
>
> is this security problem for 'windows Live Mail'? As if i don't log off my
> pc anyone could access it.
>
> Anybody know of a solution?
>
> Sparky.
>
 

My Computer

N

N. Miller

#3
On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:00:00 -0700, Sparky Pete. wrote:

> Can anybody explain to me why I do not need to enter my password to access
> 'windows live mail'? On windows vista?
I have to assume you are using Windows Live Mail, the desktop application?
Windows Mail, the native Vista email client, does not work with Windows Live
accounts. When you start Windows Live Mail, it offers to sign you in to any
Windows Live account you may have; but that is not a necessity for starting
the client. It is entirely possible to start Windows Live Mail without a
login at all.

> I found out by accident when I clicked on the cancel button (because I
> changed my mind to log in) and it loaded the program up anyway and
> synchronized with my 'windows live hotmail' account as normal.
>
> So why do i need have to type my password at all?
It just signs you in to the Windows Live community, nothing more.

> is this security problem for 'windows Live Mail'? As if i don't log off my
> pc anyone could access it.
The "security problem" is not with Windows Live mail, but with leaving your
computer unattended while logged in to your user account. Doing so allows
any passing person full access to all of your data on your computer, not
just your Windows Live Mail account.

> Anybody know of a solution?
If you are concerned about the security of your data on your computer, the
only solution for leaving the computer unattended is to log out of your user
account.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 

My Computer

#4
If I may interject - the concern is valid
It makes sense to be able to log out and not have Windows Live Mail remember
your password. Why are you given a choice in the beginning only to have the
option removed once you have made that choice?
I clicked on "Remember my Password" option to try it out and now I can't go
back.... and not, it is not a good thing for me to have my laptop logon as
the only security layer.

In any case, the question is still not answered - anyone?

"N. Miller" wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:00:00 -0700, Sparky Pete. wrote:
>

> > Can anybody explain to me why I do not need to enter my password to access
> > 'windows live mail'? On windows vista?
>
> I have to assume you are using Windows Live Mail, the desktop application?
> Windows Mail, the native Vista email client, does not work with Windows Live
> accounts. When you start Windows Live Mail, it offers to sign you in to any
> Windows Live account you may have; but that is not a necessity for starting
> the client. It is entirely possible to start Windows Live Mail without a
> login at all.
>

> > I found out by accident when I clicked on the cancel button (because I
> > changed my mind to log in) and it loaded the program up anyway and
> > synchronized with my 'windows live hotmail' account as normal.
> >
> > So why do i need have to type my password at all?
>
> It just signs you in to the Windows Live community, nothing more.
>

> > is this security problem for 'windows Live Mail'? As if i don't log off my
> > pc anyone could access it.
>
> The "security problem" is not with Windows Live mail, but with leaving your
> computer unattended while logged in to your user account. Doing so allows
> any passing person full access to all of your data on your computer, not
> just your Windows Live Mail account.
>

> > Anybody know of a solution?
>
> If you are concerned about the security of your data on your computer, the
> only solution for leaving the computer unattended is to log out of your user
> account.
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Oh Lord, why have you come
> ~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
>
 

My Computer

N

N. Miller

#5
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 22:24:01 -0700, ME wrote:

> "N. Miller" wrote:

>> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 14:00:00 -0700, Sparky Pete. wrote:

>>> Can anybody explain to me why I do not need to enter my password to access
>>> 'windows live mail'? On windows vista?

>> I have to assume you are using Windows Live Mail, the desktop application?
>> Windows Mail, the native Vista email client, does not work with Windows Live
>> accounts. When you start Windows Live Mail, it offers to sign you in to any
>> Windows Live account you may have; but that is not a necessity for starting
>> the client. It is entirely possible to start Windows Live Mail without a
>> login at all.

>>> I found out by accident when I clicked on the cancel button (because I
>>> changed my mind to log in) and it loaded the program up anyway and
>>> synchronized with my 'windows live hotmail' account as normal.
>>>
>>> So why do i need have to type my password at all?

>> It just signs you in to the Windows Live community, nothing more.

>>> is this security problem for 'windows Live Mail'? As if i don't log off my
>>> pc anyone could access it.

>> The "security problem" is not with Windows Live mail, but with leaving your
>> computer unattended while logged in to your user account. Doing so allows
>> any passing person full access to all of your data on your computer, not
>> just your Windows Live Mail account.

>>> Anybody know of a solution?

>> If you are concerned about the security of your data on your computer, the
>> only solution for leaving the computer unattended is to log out of your user
>> account.

> If I may interject - the concern is valid
> It makes sense to be able to log out and not have Windows Live Mail remember
> your password. Why are you given a choice in the beginning only to have the
> option removed once you have made that choice?
I am not clear on what you are describing. Windows Live Mail will only sign
in to a Windows Live account if you opted to allow it. If you subsequently
change your mind, you can disallow it. Tools | Options | Connection: The
section labeled, "Connecting to Windows Live services". Click on the, "Stop
signing in" button.

> I clicked on "Remember my Password" option to try it out and now I can't go
> back.... and not, it is not a good thing for me to have my laptop logon as
> the only security layer.
>
> In any case, the question is still not answered - anyone?
As far as not needing a password to sign in to a mail client, I don't have a
single mail client which *requires* a log in password. Not a one. As
installed, no password is required to run Pegasus Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird,
the SeaMonkey mail client, or the Opera Mail client. If I disable the
Windwos Live sign on in Windows Live Mail, it will still start without a
password. Not even MS Outlook Express *requires* a password protected log in
on start up, as installed.

If you think that MSOE Identities, with password protected log ins, secure
your email, I suggest you actually try it. Create an MSOE Identity, and put
a password on it. Try to read the email without using the password, "Can't
be done", you say? Wrong! In another MSOE Identity, execute the Import
utility. Navigate to the message store location of the file system for the
password protected Identity. Select the folders you wish to import. You now
have access to all that lovely, "password protected" email. Sorry, password
protecting your email can only be accomplished by creating a password
protected Windows Vista user account, and remember to log out when you step
away from the computer.

Why is it that way? Microsoft says this:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?mkt=en-us&project=WL_Mailv2&querytype=&query=

That is just the way that they built the application. Windows Mail, the
native client included with Windwos Vista, works the same way.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 

My Computer

W

...winston

#6
Click on the down arrow in the upper right in between your account name and and the contact picture.
Scroll and click change signon
Select your account and uncheck remember password.
Either way WLM will open(with a remembered password, without a remembered pw, or configured to open without a Live ID signon
request).

In WLM(or OE for that matter) a logon with or without a password being remembered provides no account security. If you wish no on
to have access to your machine, set a windows password and logoff your account when done using WLM.


--
...winston
ms-mvp mail


"ME" <ME@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:0A55ED44-B530-4BDC-906F-41FF463BB1D8@xxxxxx

> If I may interject - the concern is valid
> It makes sense to be able to log out and not have Windows Live Mail remember
> your password. Why are you given a choice in the beginning only to have the
> option removed once you have made that choice?
> I clicked on "Remember my Password" option to try it out and now I can't go
> back.... and not, it is not a good thing for me to have my laptop logon as
> the only security layer.
 

My Computer

J

Janette

#7
I would like to know if you or any one could tell me why I have to load my
password in to my e-mail address every time I have msn but have to go through
windows live to get to the msn and every time I have to retype my password it
will not let me save it. any Ideas??
--
ladyjanette


"Sparky Pete." wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Can anybody explain to me why I do not need to enter my password to access
> 'windows live mail'? On windows vista?
>
> I found out by accident when I clicked on the cancel button (because I
> changed my mind to log in) and it loaded the program up anyway and
> synchronized with my 'windows live hotmail' account as normal.
>
> So why do i need have to type my password at all?
>
> is this security problem for 'windows Live Mail'? As if i don't log off my
> pc anyone could access it.
>
> Anybody know of a solution?
>
> Sparky.
>
 

My Computer

N

N. Miller

#8
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:43:24 -0700, Janette wrote:

> I would like to know if you or any one could tell me why I have to load my
> password in to my e-mail address every time I have msn but have to go through
> windows live to get to the msn and every time I have to retype my password it
> will not let me save it. any Ideas??
How does one load a password into an email address?

By "have msn", do you mean MS Internet, and the associated access software?

For those of us using a real ISP, instead of an AOLized provider (such as
MSNIA), MSN has become Windows Live.

In general, password retention is dependent upon cookie retention, and also
the browser used. If you delete cookies upon closing your browser, you will
have to always reenter a password on a web site (the password is stored
locally in a cookie). And I have found that MS Internet Explorer works most
reliably with the Windows Live site for password retention; though I've
never explored the cookie issue with Opera because I don't access the
Windows Live site all that often.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)