• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"Lock" on start menu?

A

Alex Clayton

#1
Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
"lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic" start and
it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows on mine
too, but don't know what the hell it does?
 

My Computer

D
#2
It "locks" the computer, so no one can use it until they enter the current
user's password.
Takes less time than to log out and log back in.
Very useful in an office environment where you don't want someone snooping
while you're away from your computer.

Winkey-L also invokes it.


--
Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview


"Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mLKdnYF0idVJQFrVnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@xxxxxx

> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
> "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic" start and
> it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows on mine
> too, but don't know what the hell it does?
 

My Computer

A

Alex Clayton

#3
"Dave" <dave@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uWopCg1EJHA.4420@xxxxxx

> It "locks" the computer, so no one can use it until they enter the current
> user's password.
> Takes less time than to log out and log back in.
> Very useful in an office environment where you don't want someone snooping
> while you're away from your computer.
>
> Winkey-L also invokes it.
>
>
> --
> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>
>
> "Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:mLKdnYF0idVJQFrVnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@xxxxxx

>> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
>> "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic" start
>> and it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows on
>> mine too, but don't know what the hell it does?
>
>
Ok, thanks guys I figured it was something simple, but since these damn
things no longer come with a manual, I was afraid to click it to see what it
did. LOL. I never did set up a password for this, guess I will try it, could
come in handy when I have it at work.
 

My Computer

A

Alex Clayton

#4
Re: "Lock" on start menu? Follow up.

"Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:mLKdnYF0idVJQFrVnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@xxxxxx

> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
> "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic" start and
> it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows on mine
> too, but don't know what the hell it does?
After getting the answer to this, I thought I would set up a password. I
never have on this, it only has one user, me. When I went to do so it gave
me this warning: If you do this Alex will lose all EFS -encrypted files,
personal certificates and stored passwords for websites or network
resources.
to avoid losing data in the future ask alex to make a password re-set floppy
disk.
Ok so what the hell does all this mean to me in English? <G>
 

My Computer

D

denis

#5
On Sep 10, 5:46 pm, "Alex Clayton" <alexx1...@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
> "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic"startand
> it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows on mine
> too, but don't know what the hell it does?
Hi,

You may use Vista Start Menu program -
http://www.VistaStartMenu.com/
with customizable power buttons, Power Timer e.t.c.

your co worker will be happy with it!

--
Best regards, Dennis Nazarenko
 

My Computer

S

Synapse Syndrome

#6
Re: "Lock" on start menu? Follow up.

"Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:FaCdnbKl5KhbcFrVnZ2dnUVZ_vGdnZ2d@xxxxxx

>> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
>> "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic" start
>> and it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows on
>> mine too, but don't know what the hell it does?
>
> After getting the answer to this, I thought I would set up a password. I
> never have on this, it only has one user, me. When I went to do so it gave
> me this warning: If you do this Alex will lose all EFS -encrypted files,
> personal certificates and stored passwords for websites or network
> resources.
> to avoid losing data in the future ask alex to make a password re-set
> floppy disk.
> Ok so what the hell does all this mean to me in English? <G>
Unless you have encrypted files using EFS (which is pretty pointless without
a password anyway), you do not have to worry about this warning.

ss.
 

My Computer

A

Alex Clayton

#7
Re: "Lock" on start menu? Follow up.

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:uW8VrA3EJHA.4904@xxxxxx

> "Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:FaCdnbKl5KhbcFrVnZ2dnUVZ_vGdnZ2d@xxxxxx

>>> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
>>> "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic" start
>>> and it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows
>>> on mine too, but don't know what the hell it does?
>>
>> After getting the answer to this, I thought I would set up a password. I
>> never have on this, it only has one user, me. When I went to do so it
>> gave me this warning: If you do this Alex will lose all EFS -encrypted
>> files, personal certificates and stored passwords for websites or network
>> resources.
>> to avoid losing data in the future ask alex to make a password re-set
>> floppy disk.
>> Ok so what the hell does all this mean to me in English? <G>
>
> Unless you have encrypted files using EFS (which is pretty pointless
> without a password anyway), you do not have to worry about this warning.
>
> ss.
>
OK, thanks. I don't have anything encrypted, never even bothered to try to
learn how, but the warning made me decide to wait till I asked what the hell
all that meant.
Thanks!
--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does
not go nearly as well with pizza.
--Dave Barry
 

My Computer

W

Warp 10

#8
start > help and support> type "lock"> there's your manual!


"Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:x72dnR-ybLkXdlrVnZ2dnUVZ_vadnZ2d@xxxxxx

> "Dave" <dave@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:uWopCg1EJHA.4420@xxxxxx

>> It "locks" the computer, so no one can use it until they enter the
>> current user's password.
>> Takes less time than to log out and log back in.
>> Very useful in an office environment where you don't want someone
>> snooping while you're away from your computer.
>>
>> Winkey-L also invokes it.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Vista Home Premium 32 SP1
>> http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview
>>
>>
>> "Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message
>> news:mLKdnYF0idVJQFrVnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@xxxxxx

>>> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the
>>> "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a "classic" start
>>> and it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows
>>> on mine too, but don't know what the hell it does?
>>
>>
>
> Ok, thanks guys I figured it was something simple, but since these damn
> things no longer come with a manual, I was afraid to click it to see what
> it did. LOL. I never did set up a password for this, guess I will try it,
> could come in handy when I have it at work.
 

My Computer

A

Alex Clayton

#9
"Warp 10" <warpe@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:48c8ee3e$1@xxxxxx-privat.org...

> start > help and support> type "lock"> there's your manual!
>
>

Well damn, again something I had no idea was there.
Thanks!!!

--
I think drug tests are great. Since I have to pass them to earn money to pay
taxes, Everyone on or applying for welfare should have to pass them to get
some of my money.
 

My Computer

B

B. D. Reagan

#10
Re: "Lock" on start menu? Follow up.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: "Lock" on start menu? Follow up.


> "Alex Clayton" <alexx1400@xxxxxx> wrote in message news:mLKdnYF0idVJQFrVnZ2dnUVZ_uednZ2d@xxxxxx

>> Was helping a co worker set up a new Vista machine. They asked what the "lock" option was. I had forgotten about it as I use a
>> "classic" start and it's not there. I noticed if I changed mine back to Vista it shows on mine too, but don't know what the hell
>> it does?
>
> After getting the answer to this, I thought I would set up a password. I never have on this, it only has one user, me. When I went
> to do so it gave me this warning: If you do this Alex will lose all EFS -encrypted files, personal certificates and stored
> passwords for websites or network resources.
> to avoid losing data in the future ask alex to make a password re-set floppy disk.
> Ok so what the hell does all this mean to me in English? <G>
>
>
>

maybe something like this? (with disabled UAC)

cipher /? | more
net help user | more

cipher /U
cipher /X A:\EFSback
cipher /D /S:C:\ /H & cipher /D /S:D:\ /H & cipher /D /S:E:\ /H & cipher /D /S:F:\ /H ...
net user Alex * /LOGONPASSWORDCHG:YES
logoff

(re-enable UAC after login)
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)