Login process has failed to create the security options dialog

C

Chris

Running Vista Ultimate
The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I cannot
right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce
anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
Titled:
Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
With a dialog message of:
Failure - Security Options

I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
solutions or causes posted.
Anyone here know how to deal with this?

TIA,
Chris
 

My Computer

J

Jesper

More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
---
Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470101555?ie=UTF8&tag=protectyourwi-20


"Chris" wrote:

> Running Vista Ultimate
> The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I cannot
> right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce
> anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
> Titled:
> Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
> With a dialog message of:
> Failure - Security Options
>
> I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
> solutions or causes posted.
> Anyone here know how to deal with this?
>
> TIA,
> Chris
>
>
>
 

My Computer

C

Chris

I have Symantec Security Client installed.
I run the 64bit version at work and have not had any problems with it. The
problem machine is a 32bit.
If I get the thing to boot again I'll uninstall Symantec and see what
happens.
Thanks,
Chris


"Jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
> security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
> firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
> ---
> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470101555?ie=UTF8&tag=protectyourwi-20
>
>
> "Chris" wrote:
>
>> Running Vista Ultimate
>> The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I
>> cannot
>> right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not produce
>> anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
>> Titled:
>> Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
>> With a dialog message of:
>> Failure - Security Options
>>
>> I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
>> solutions or causes posted.
>> Anyone here know how to deal with this?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Chris
>>
>>
>>
 

My Computer

C

Chris

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:uw%[email protected]
>I have Symantec Security Client installed.
> I run the 64bit version at work and have not had any problems with it. The
> problem machine is a 32bit.
> If I get the thing to boot again I'll uninstall Symantec and see what
> happens.
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
>
> "Jesper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> More than likely this happens because you have a non-Vista compatible
>> security suite installed. Have you installed some kind of
>> firewall/antivirus/whatever suite? If so, which?
>> ---
>> Your question may already be answered in Windows Vista Security:
>> http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0470101555?ie=UTF8&tag=protectyourwi-20
>>
>>
>> "Chris" wrote:
>>
>>> Running Vista Ultimate
>>> The desktop goes blank, the mouse cursor is visible and movable but I
>>> cannot
>>> right click and get any anything to happen. The keyboard does not
>>> produce
>>> anything except an alt-ctrl-del which brings up a dialog
>>> Titled:
>>> Login process has failed to create the security options dialog
>>> With a dialog message of:
>>> Failure - Security Options
>>>
>>> I have seen that others have had similar happen but have not seen any
>>> solutions or causes posted.
>>> Anyone here know how to deal with this?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Chris

I found the problem and it was not due to Symantec Antivirus.
I ran the Western Digital Diagnostics and it revealed that the S.M.A.R.T
data had errors in it..
I didn't look into exactly what the problem was but replaced the drive.
I haven't had a problem since and I've been using it for several weeks now.
The original problem was repeatable in several installations. For whatever
reason, the problem with the drive did not cause problems with Windows XP
but did cause problems with Vista.
A new C drive and life is good.

Chris
 

My Computer

L

Len Hannam

I just thought I'd put in my two cents worth... I have been bugged by
this problem ever since I enabled my Sidebar in my Windows Gadgets in
Vista. I tried the chkdsk routine and it seemed to solve the problem
once. Then it came back and I got to thinking, the problem seemed to
coincide with my turning on the sidebar so why not turn it off and see
if that's it. So I did and haven't had a problem yet - and my computer
is running a lot faster! (of course it's only been 1 day but I think
that must have been it.)

My theory is that when I turned on the current weather feature which
requires a live internet connection to continuously update the weather,
it caused the problem when it could not connect (for reason's unrelated,
I have to switch my ethernet chord on my laptop rather frequently to
connect to two different networks and if I don't do an Ipconfig /renew
I'm sure it just sits there grinding away not able to connect).

Anyway, give it a try - it might work for you!

To disable it, goto the control panel, double-click 'Windows Sidebar...'
and uncheck 'Start Sidebar when Windows starts'

Good Luck!

Len.


--
Len Hannam
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Len Hannam's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/223023.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-security/771124.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

K

kriddyk

Well guys...I hope you didn't have the same fix as me where I had all of
the same issues but I knew I had not downloaded anything that could have
compromised my system. So I followed other advice...ran chkdsk, cleared
temp files, turned off superfetch, etc.... I then remembered that I had
uninstalled an expired version of an anti-virus software.
Unfortunately, sometimes they uninstall common files since I did have
more than one anti-virus installed. I booted into safe mode with
networking and uninstalled all of the anti-virus software on my system
and voila.....that's all it took. They stopped competing for files that
didn't exist and now I will re-install the ones I intend to keep using.
It sucks that some of you are installing new HDDs. Anyway, for those
who see this first...try uninstalling and reinstalling virus software.
See if it helps.
:) Good luck.


--
kriddyk
------------------------------------------------------------------------
kriddyk's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/223760.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-security/771124.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
 

My Computer

Top