• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Maximum Threads supported on Windows server 2003

M

Manish

#1
Hi
We are developing a server application ,we have decided to adopt windows
2003/2008 server. We want to know the theoritical analysis as for as number
of threads and process these server can support considering following
paramerts
1. RAM
2. No of CPU
3. 32/64 bit processor

Q1 What will be the maximum limit for threads (in the same process)
considering above parameter ?
Q2 What will be the maximum limit for total application at a time can
run,considering above parameter ?

Waiting for your reply

Thanks in advance

Regards
Manish
 

My Computer

J

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard

#2
>

>
> We are developing a server application ,we have decided to adopt
> windows 2003/2008 server. We want to know the theoritical analysis as
> for as number of threads and process these server can support
> considering following paramerts
> 1. RAM
> 2. No of CPU
> 3. 32/64 bit processor
>
> Q1 What will be the maximum limit for threads (in the same process)
> considering above parameter ?
> Q2 What will be the maximum limit for total application at a time can
> run,considering above parameter ?
>
Q: How many copies of Manish can fit into this room?

R: How big is Manish? How big is the room? Will xe be standing stock
still or jigging around like a madman?
 

My Computer

M

Manish

#3
I am sorry , i think i have put up the question in wrong way .
There are two parts , O/S and H/W resources

Q1. As per OS winServer 2003 , Theroritically How many (Maxmium) threads are
possible (in the same process) at a time ?is there any limitation by O/S

Q2. As per OS winServer 2003 , Theroritically How many application can run
at a time ?is there any limitation by O/S

Q3. Once i know the O/S limit for max number of thread , then I want to do a
theoritical analysis based upon the H/W resource e.g. RAM and CPU . How
should i go forward ?

I hope i am able to explain my requirement

Waiting for your reply

Regards
Manish

"Jonathan de Boyne Pollard" wrote:

> >
> >
> > We are developing a server application ,we have decided to adopt
> > windows 2003/2008 server. We want to know the theoritical analysis as
> > for as number of threads and process these server can support
> > considering following paramerts
> > 1. RAM
> > 2. No of CPU
> > 3. 32/64 bit processor
> >
> > Q1 What will be the maximum limit for threads (in the same process)
> > considering above parameter ?
> > Q2 What will be the maximum limit for total application at a time can
> > run,considering above parameter ?
> >
> Q: How many copies of Manish can fit into this room?
>
> R: How big is Manish? How big is the room? Will xe be standing stock
> still or jigging around like a madman?
>
> .
>
 

My Computer

D

Dave Warren

#4
In message <2C7BDD9C-0695-4A5B-ADEC-957DF5CD2407@newsgroup> Manish
<Manish@newsgroup> was claimed to have wrote:

>I am sorry , i think i have put up the question in wrong way .
>There are two parts , O/S and H/W resources
>
>Q1. As per OS winServer 2003 , Theroritically How many (Maxmium) threads are
>possible (in the same process) at a time ?is there any limitation by O/S
2048 threads per process in 32-bit Windows, 4096 in large-address-aware
applications on a 64-bit version, assuming that no thread has any code
or data.

>Q2. As per OS winServer 2003 , Theroritically How many application can run
>at a time ?is there any limitation by O/S
>
>Q3. Once i know the O/S limit for max number of thread , then I want to do a
>theoritical analysis based upon the H/W resource e.g. RAM and CPU . How
>should i go forward ?
>
>I hope i am able to explain my requirement
http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/07/08/3261309.aspx
is a good place to start.
 

My Computer

M

Manish

#5
Thanks Dave !
The stuff you suggested is very useful and it has really helped me to decide
the system configuration and to design a good application .

But i have another thingk to ask

Q1 . Whatever has been explained is with respect to Windows native
programming , how to know "maximum numbe of threds/process" with respect to
..Net programing (managed application)

Waiting for your reply

Regards
Manish

"Dave Warren" wrote:

> In message <2C7BDD9C-0695-4A5B-ADEC-957DF5CD2407@newsgroup> Manish
> <Manish@newsgroup> was claimed to have wrote:
>

> >I am sorry , i think i have put up the question in wrong way .
> >There are two parts , O/S and H/W resources
> >
> >Q1. As per OS winServer 2003 , Theroritically How many (Maxmium) threads are
> >possible (in the same process) at a time ?is there any limitation by O/S
>
> 2048 threads per process in 32-bit Windows, 4096 in large-address-aware
> applications on a 64-bit version, assuming that no thread has any code
> or data.
>

> >Q2. As per OS winServer 2003 , Theroritically How many application can run
> >at a time ?is there any limitation by O/S
> >
> >Q3. Once i know the O/S limit for max number of thread , then I want to do a
> >theoritical analysis based upon the H/W resource e.g. RAM and CPU . How
> >should i go forward ?
> >
> >I hope i am able to explain my requirement
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2009/07/08/3261309.aspx
> is a good place to start.
> .
>
 

My Computer

D

Dave Warren

#6
In message <FCC90127-D505-4F58-8632-312A191309A0@newsgroup> Manish
<Manish@newsgroup> was claimed to have wrote:

>Q1 . Whatever has been explained is with respect to Windows native
>programming , how to know "maximum numbe of threds/process" with respect to
>.Net programing (managed application)
I can't help with that one, but you might try posting a comment on
Mark's blog, if anyone would know, he might.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)