• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Memory at 36% ? Why ?

I have a 64 Bit HP computer running Vista Home Premium . I have Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700@2.66Gh and 2.77Gh. I have no windows open and task manager shows Physical Memory at 35%. So where is all my memory going? it is why I got 4 G's of memory to start with , just so I would always have plenty of it. i don't have a lot of stuff downloaded either.

Can someone help me here ?

Barman58

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Hi jillian, welcome to the forums :party:

nothing to worry about vista has a new system for memory management, which automatically load what it thinks your going to use next into memory based an what you've done before.

Windows Memory Management

This link will give a lot of technical info if you need it, but I wouldn't worry :D

pooch

Old Dog
Vista Guru
Hi Jillian2

It is perfectly normal for about a third of the RAM to be used with x64 Vista and 4gig RAM. My computer has similar specs and is also at 31%

There is more than enough memory left for normal computer use.

See my desktop

Pooch

Thanks guys , but I still don't see it. All I can see is that I bought all this memory and don't have much . I guess I would be just as well off to have gotten 2G's instead.

Obviously, with others having similar non-load usage, then this behavior is normal with Vista. Mine's doing the same thing, and it has plenty of RAM left for my normal seven Firefox windows (not tabs) and SETI@home running on all four cores with no slowdown.

Barman58

Staff member
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Hi jillian,

just to put your mind at rest, whilst Vista will use some of your available memory for this Prefetch system as soon as you need the space Vista will release it, as Vista learns your computing habits this will provide an advantage when it comes to loading programs etc. After all unused memory is wasted memory :D

Thanks guys , but I still don't see it. All I can see is that I bought all this memory and don't have much . I guess I would be just as well off to have gotten 2G's instead.
I don't think you understand what Barman is talking about, do you?

What he is saying that Vista will pre load files, folders and programs that YOU access often for quicker response time, which is very clever because your ram doesn't sit unused like in XP
My ram sits at 35% full but Vista will hand over that space if need for other programs that you may be running at the time.
Do not be bothered with now much your RAM is used because with 4GB of ram you are not disadvantaged

gazz496

a mere mortal
Vista Pro
yup my system is the same and when put under strain my ram only goes to 60% load when either gaming or rendering so it's normal it looks bad but it's perfectly fine and like they say vista will give it up for more important tasks you are performing and having the 4gb of ram gives your system more to play with too while you use other apps so increasing overall performance.

Blaydrnnnr

Completely Lost
Think of your ram as being used by Vista since its faster to call from then your disk...it tries to anticipate your needs.. but.. when you do something that requires your ram more.. it releases it....mine, as this window is open and 70 processes, is at 25%... I do ALOT of 3D modelling and rendering..trust me.. your ram isnt being sucked up.. its just being held till its needed for something else...because when I start opening very high poly models or rendering frames.. its all ram....so vista lets me have what I need... so far...:)

Extensa

Pusher of Buttons
Vista Pro
I am running 4GB on a laptop with a Intel Duo-Core 5750 at 2.00Ghz.

My ram idles at 37%. It is a normal thing with Vista. Do not worry about it using 1/3 of your ram.... There is plenty left to use.