• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Microsoft ISATAP adapter

H

Harry Sherman

In Device Manager, under Network Adapters I find a new entry called
"Microsoft ISATAP Adapter".The yellow explanation mark indicating a problem
is present. Status shows "Windows is unable to install this driver".
Search for a better driver on-line returns "Driver up to date" and "Best
driver is already installed".
I have not installed any new programs lately, but did install an updated
driver for my Rhine II network driver through Microsoft Update, but this
shows OK. Disabling ISATAP driver does not seem to make any difference to
my home network connections.
System: VIA PM-800 MB; Dual boot XP and Vista on separate drives; Vista
Build 5600.
Home Network with two computers (One Vista, the other ME)
Can anyone tell me what this driver is for, and how it may have been
installed?

My Computer

J
Here ya go,

The Internet/Site Automatic Tunnel Addressing Protocol (ISATAP)
connects IPv6 hosts/routers over IPv4 networks. ISATAP views the IPv4
network as a link layer for IPv6 and views other nodes on the network
as potential IPv6 hosts/routers. ISATAP supports automatic tunneling
and a tunnel interface management abstraction similar to the Non-
Broadcast, Multiple Access (NBMA) and ATM Permanent/Switched Virtual
Circuit (PVC/SVC) models.
Copyright (C) The Internet Society (2004). All Rights Reserved.

Basically it's installed with the os.

Jeff

My Computer

J
umm

IPv6 is on in Vista by default-you can turn it off though .

Go here,

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

right click your network card>properties
uncheck the IPv6 box
that'll turn off IPv6-then just disable the adapter driver

That's if it's causing you issues,

Jeff

My Computer

H

Harry Sherman

Thanks, Jeff. I followed your suggestions but after unchecking IPv6, both
IE and Mail got a little flaky (random errors and slow connections) so I
re-enabled it. I even went so far as to delete ISATAP driver, but Windows
recreated it on next boot with same error. Guess there is no way to fix
it...will have to live with it on this beta.

My Computer

Desiree

ok so i turn on my computer and i have had it for ayear or so and all of a sudden I have an ISATAP adapter#3 installed which i found wierd because i never did anything to my computer.
Could someone please explain to me in somewhat simple terms what the hell it is?
Thanks

My Computer

firstcomp

When i googled isatap this thread link is right up there in the 1-10 choices. Why would it matter if it is 372 days old it is still a valid subject that I ran into today and need to research. The problem is it still hasn't been completely answered in this forum because there is no solution mentioned for the exclamation points on isatap so I will have to keep looking.

My Computer

GunnerAsh

Hey everyone. This is my first post, as i have had to join the forum to get desperate help for this very annoying problem.

I can no longer connect to my Internet browser or my wireless hub through my Sony Vaio's WiFi. I had a yellow exclamation mark appear over my internet icon in the bottom right of my screen a couple days ago and have since not been able to get online wirelessly. It says i have "Limited Connectivity" yet i have full signal.

I have a strong hunch that since my computer installed a mandatory Windows Update, the next time i came on my computer after this update, this problem occured. I have looked in my devices and everything says its got the most up to date driver Windows can find, but i still have this problem, and the yellow exclamation mark and no wireless access remains.

I need any help, it will be much appreciated :)

EDIT: When i went on the Microsoft ISATAP adapter that appeared the problem, i got the Code 31 thing come up too. What the hell has this Windows Update done to me?

My Computer

M

Malke

It sounds like you installed a driver for your wireless network adapter from
Windows Update (always a bad idea). Try rolling it back to drivers that
work or, if that doesn't solve the issue, uninstall/reinstall the wireless
adapter drivers. Get them from Sony's tech support website for your
specific model laptop.

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista from the How-To Geek -
http://tinyurl.com/346lox

Malke
--
MS-MVP

My Computer

ubuysa

I've seen this many times on both Vista and XP. Just delete the profile Windows has for your wifi and reconnect. On Vista go to Network & Sharing / Manage Wireless Networks, click on "your" wifi and then click Remove. When you reconnect you'll have to authenticate again but it should be fine afterwards.

Sorry for the thread hijack :o

My Computer

isatap error....

ok so i turn on my computer and i have had it for ayear or so and all of a sudden I have an ISATAP adapter#3 installed which i found wierd because i never did anything to my computer.
Could someone please explain to me in somewhat simple terms what the hell it is?
Thanks
Ok. So here it is. The official response and no, unfortunately, there is NOT a solution and will not be in the near future. Read on: On a Windows Vista-based computer or on a Windows Server 2008-based computer, the Microsoft ISATAP adapter appears with a yellow exclamation mark next to it in Device Manager, and you also receive an error message

What the isatap adapter does: "The Microsoft ISATAP device Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure. "

Bottom Line: "You can safely ignore this error message. This error message does not indicate a problem with the adapter. The adapter will continue to work correctly."

Yea! Good ol' M$!:rolleyes:

Best Wishes and my regards to all.

My Computer

Shibbo

I have a question concerning the ISATAP adapter and the 6to4 adapter.

I noticed that my startups and shutdowns were slowing down quite a bit and I looked around to see if there was anything strange going on. I check the device manager and noticed I have a couple hundred 6to4 devices and ISATAP devices, all with errors.

I have the IPv6 disabled so I don't really understand why these would even be in use and really don't know why they are duplicating, is there some type of solution to this?

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)