• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Moving the Quick Launch bar to the Left side.

K

Kurt R

#1
Ever since I discover that you could move the Quick Launch Bar around, I have
it on the left side of my screen. So after I booted up Vista I wanted to
move it like I could in the other flavors of Windows. BUT I can't move it!!
I can move the WHOLE Task Bar but not just the Quick Launch.

Please try it and confirm that it doesn't move for you too.

Why in God's Green Earth would they remove that feature???
 

My Computer

R

Rick Rogers

#2
Hi,

Don't know why, but they did. I had bugged this some time back, but it was
never fixed or explained why it was not going to be fixed (sometimes a fix
breaks something else more critical, so not every fix can be implemented).

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Kurt R" <Kurt R@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:9DB3B950-E3FC-4202-9706-57F9291F299F@microsoft.com...
> Ever since I discover that you could move the Quick Launch Bar around, I
> have
> it on the left side of my screen. So after I booted up Vista I wanted to
> move it like I could in the other flavors of Windows. BUT I can't move
> it!!
> I can move the WHOLE Task Bar but not just the Quick Launch.
>
> Please try it and confirm that it doesn't move for you too.
>
> Why in God's Green Earth would they remove that feature???
 

My Computer

T

tmike

#3
left-drag a folder to the edge of the screen and release it. it becomes a
new toolbar.
--
tmike
tmike at tmike your dot pants com
(to email, remove your pants)
 

My Computer

K

Kurt R

#4
Ahhh....NO...It just moves it to the desktop.
I tried a couple of times and that DIDN'T work.

"tmike" wrote:

> left-drag a folder to the edge of the screen and release it. it becomes a
> new toolbar.
> --
> tmike
> tmike at tmike your dot pants com
> (to email, remove your pants)
>
>
 

My Computer

R

Rob C.

#5
As you did, I was sad to see you can't drag the quick launch (I have been
accustomed for many years using quick launch (auto-hide) from the top;
leaving the taskbar on the bottom.

While you can't move just the quick launch, you can take the quick launch
folder (found in %USER%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer) and left
drag all the way to the end of the screen. This will create a new toolbar
(leaving the quick launch folder in its proper home), and you can then
customize as with any other tool bar (turn off text, turn off name, always on
top, auto-hide, resize, icon size, etc.) to make it appear just like the
quick launch you're accustomed to. Then on your taskbar, turn off quick
launch toolbar.

While a bit of a 'kludge' (vs. prior OSs and being able to simply drag the
quick launch bar), this does acheived the same result as moving the quick
launch...

"Kurt R" wrote:

> Ahhh....NO...It just moves it to the desktop.
> I tried a couple of times and that DIDN'T work.
>
> "tmike" wrote:
>
> > left-drag a folder to the edge of the screen and release it. it becomes a
> > new toolbar.
> > --
> > tmike
> > tmike at tmike your dot pants com
> > (to email, remove your pants)
> >
> >
 

My Computer

A

Andy2035

#6
Hi Rob C,

I'd just like to thank you soooooooooo much for the info, just moved the
folder as you said and now it's just like the old way...:D:D

Once again thank you...

Andy...

"Rob C." wrote:

> As you did, I was sad to see you can't drag the quick launch (I have been
> accustomed for many years using quick launch (auto-hide) from the top;
> leaving the taskbar on the bottom.
>
> While you can't move just the quick launch, you can take the quick launch
> folder (found in %USER%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer) and left
> drag all the way to the end of the screen. This will create a new toolbar
> (leaving the quick launch folder in its proper home), and you can then
> customize as with any other tool bar (turn off text, turn off name, always on
> top, auto-hide, resize, icon size, etc.) to make it appear just like the
> quick launch you're accustomed to. Then on your taskbar, turn off quick
> launch toolbar.
>
> While a bit of a 'kludge' (vs. prior OSs and being able to simply drag the
> quick launch bar), this does acheived the same result as moving the quick
> launch...
>
> "Kurt R" wrote:
>

> > Ahhh....NO...It just moves it to the desktop.
> > I tried a couple of times and that DIDN'T work.
> >
> > "tmike" wrote:
> >

> > > left-drag a folder to the edge of the screen and release it. it becomes a
> > > new toolbar.
> > > --
> > > tmike
> > > tmike at tmike your dot pants com
> > > (to email, remove your pants)
> > >
> > >
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)