• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

My computer came with Windows Vista and now I can't play my games..

S

simplerequests

#1
I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with XP) and
SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a system that is
completely incompatible for all of my games. Tried to install Sims2, won't
even recognize the disk, diablo 2 won't run, and Last Chaos? Nope. Only thing
that runs is FFXI. Is there ANY way I can remove Vista and run XP? I tried
the program compatibility manager for my games and it doesn't work. It
doesn't even recognize my sims disc. I don't know what to do, and I feel like
my new 800 dollar laptop is trash. Please help?
 

My Computer

S
#2
"simplerequests" <u33723@uwe> wrote in message news:714ad7a90b4b6@uwe...
>I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with XP) and
> SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a system that
> is
> completely incompatible for all of my games. Tried to install Sims2, won't
> even recognize the disk, diablo 2 won't run, and Last Chaos? Nope. Only
> thing
> that runs is FFXI. Is there ANY way I can remove Vista and run XP? I tried
> the program compatibility manager for my games and it doesn't work. It
> doesn't even recognize my sims disc. I don't know what to do, and I feel
> like
> my new 800 dollar laptop is trash. Please help?
>


Sure. Take it to a local 'mom and pop' computer store in your town and ask
them to put XP on it. It will cost you a few bucks but it will be done.
 

My Computer

N

Nonymous

#3
"simplerequests" <u33723@uwe> wrote in news:714ad7a90b4b6@uwe:

> Is there ANY way I can remove Vista and run XP?


Yeah. Get an XP disk, insert it into the drive, and install it?
 

My Computer

D

Dale White

#4
I don't know about Diable 2, but the SIMs 2 should work. Not sure why it's
not seeing the disc. I would think with a newer system, the DVD drive would
be up to date enough not to get confused by the copy protection.

Just for fun, you can go to Control Panel., User Accounts and Turn off the
UAC to see if it allows you to see the Disc. I've seen several different
posts about not being able to see a Disc under Vista. But I haven't been
able to reproduce the problem myself.

On Diable 2 and Last Chaos, did you try Right clicking on the desktop or
start menu shortcut and choose Run As Administrator and\or set the
compatibility mode to XP ?

http://images.filecloud.com/402448/run_as_admin.jpg

http://images.filecloud.com/402447/compat_mode.jpg

"simplerequests" <u33723@uwe> wrote in message news:714ad7a90b4b6@uwe...
>I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with XP) and
> SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a system that
> is
> completely incompatible for all of my games. Tried to install Sims2, won't
> even recognize the disk, diablo 2 won't run, and Last Chaos? Nope. Only
> thing
> that runs is FFXI. Is there ANY way I can remove Vista and run XP? I tried
> the program compatibility manager for my games and it doesn't work. It
> doesn't even recognize my sims disc. I don't know what to do, and I feel
> like
> my new 800 dollar laptop is trash. Please help?
>
 

My Computer

C

Cy!on

#5
"simplerequests" <u33723@uwe> wrote in message news:714ad7a90b4b6@uwe...
>I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with XP) and
> SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a system that
> is
> completely incompatible for all of my games. Tried to install Sims2, won't
> even recognize the disk, diablo 2 won't run, and Last Chaos? Nope. Only
> thing
> that runs is FFXI. Is there ANY way I can remove Vista and run XP? I tried
> the program compatibility manager for my games and it doesn't work. It
> doesn't even recognize my sims disc. I don't know what to do, and I feel
> like
> my new 800 dollar laptop is trash. Please help?


If a game was to work with Vista or not, it WOULD always recognise the disk!
Thats not a problem with Vista, it sounds more like a problem with the cd
drive itself.
 

My Computer

U

Unicron

#6
Nah, makes too much sense. easier to bash microsoft since it's so trendy

"Cy!on" <James@DONTmourby.USETHISco.BITuk> wrote in message
news:A59CCA35-0CEB-467D-9730-9F1CBF61E365@microsoft.com...
> "simplerequests" <u33723@uwe> wrote in message news:714ad7a90b4b6@uwe...
>>I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with XP) and
>> SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a system that
>> is
>> completely incompatible for all of my games. Tried to install Sims2,
>> won't
>> even recognize the disk, diablo 2 won't run, and Last Chaos? Nope. Only
>> thing
>> that runs is FFXI. Is there ANY way I can remove Vista and run XP? I
>> tried
>> the program compatibility manager for my games and it doesn't work. It
>> doesn't even recognize my sims disc. I don't know what to do, and I feel
>> like
>> my new 800 dollar laptop is trash. Please help?

>
> If a game was to work with Vista or not, it WOULD always recognise the
> disk! Thats not a problem with Vista, it sounds more like a problem with
> the cd drive itself.
 

My Computer

D

Dale White

#7
I think that is overall true, but there have been a fair number of
complaints in the different forums about Vista not seeing certain style disc
due to the copy protection. it was suggested that the UAC was blocking some
of them.

I had a problem with Supreme Commander not working as mentioned when I first
popped it in, but a reboot fixed it. Maybe some people problems are more
permanent.

Since the OP hasn't responded, I'm guessing it's a dead issue now

"Cy!on" <James@DONTmourby.USETHISco.BITuk> wrote in message
news:A59CCA35-0CEB-467D-9730-9F1CBF61E365@microsoft.com...
> "simplerequests" <u33723@uwe> wrote in message news:714ad7a90b4b6@uwe...
>>I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with XP) and
>> SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a system that
>> is
>> completely incompatible for all of my games. Tried to install Sims2,
>> won't
>> even recognize the disk, diablo 2 won't run, and Last Chaos? Nope. Only
>> thing
>> that runs is FFXI. Is there ANY way I can remove Vista and run XP? I
>> tried
>> the program compatibility manager for my games and it doesn't work. It
>> doesn't even recognize my sims disc. I don't know what to do, and I feel
>> like
>> my new 800 dollar laptop is trash. Please help?

>
> If a game was to work with Vista or not, it WOULD always recognise the
> disk! Thats not a problem with Vista, it sounds more like a problem with
> the cd drive itself.
 

My Computer

S

simplerequests via WindowsKB.com

#8
Sorry it took me awhile. I contacted gateway after taking it to my "local mom
and pop shop" and sure enough there's a programming problem with my comp (or
my cd drive). Luckily warranty covered packing it up and sending it off to
them for repairs, Since I've already done it I had to borrow my parent's comp
before I even saw half of these responses. Thank you for all your help though-
(by the way, bashing vista isn't just "trendy"- It won't run games I
downloaded from the internet like last chaos.)

Dale White wrote:
>I think that is overall true, but there have been a fair number of
>complaints in the different forums about Vista not seeing certain style disc
>due to the copy protection. it was suggested that the UAC was blocking some
>of them.
>
>I had a problem with Supreme Commander not working as mentioned when I first
>popped it in, but a reboot fixed it. Maybe some people problems are more
>permanent.
>
>Since the OP hasn't responded, I'm guessing it's a dead issue now
>
>>>I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with XP) and
>>> SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a system that

>[quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
>> disk! Thats not a problem with Vista, it sounds more like a problem with
>> the cd drive itself.


--
Message posted via WindowsKB.com
http://www.windowskb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/windows-vista-games/200704/1
 

My Computer

D

Don Malone

#9
simplerequests via WindowsKB.com wrote:

> Sorry it took me awhile. I contacted gateway after taking it to my
> "local mom and pop shop" and sure enough there's a programming
> problem with my comp (or my cd drive). Luckily warranty covered
> packing it up and sending it off to them for repairs, Since I've
> already done it I had to borrow my parent's comp before I even saw
> half of these responses. Thank you for all your help though- (by the
> way, bashing vista isn't just "trendy"- It won't run games I
> downloaded from the internet like last chaos.)
>
> Dale White wrote:
> > I think that is overall true, but there have been a fair number of
> > complaints in the different forums about Vista not seeing certain
> > style disc due to the copy protection. it was suggested that the
> > UAC was blocking some of them.
> >
> > I had a problem with Supreme Commander not working as mentioned
> > when I first popped it in, but a reboot fixed it. Maybe some people
> > problems are more permanent.
> >
> > Since the OP hasn't responded, I'm guessing it's a dead issue now
> >
> > > > I purchased a new laptop (after diligently looking for one with
> > > > XP) and
> >>> SURPISE, microsoft is dominating the market again by making a

> system that
> > [quoted text clipped - 13 lines]
> >> disk! Thats not a problem with Vista, it sounds more like a

> problem with >> the cd drive itself.


I know this is not a real problem for the people here but I have heard,
and have had no luck myself, with running games made with version 6 of
Game maker under Vista. They will run under XP though. Version 7 of
Game maker will run under Vista and XP but not ME, 98, but I am not
sure about 2000 and NT.

They just silently fail.

--
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)