NTFS.sys BSOD

hatehereyes

Power User
Whenever i have two memory sticks put into my computer it crashes with the NTFS.sys BSOD or sometimes just a stop error message.

i've already tried to update my bios but that still didn't fix it.

now i don't see how the memory has to do with NTFS.sys but this BSOD is annoying since instead of running with 1gb of memory i'm stuck with 512mb which suucks.

anyone know how to fix this?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Pentium 4 3.0ghz/ Dual Xeon 2.8ghz 8 cores
    Motherboard
    Intel D915GUX
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 533MHz Memory/4gb DDR2 FB-DIMM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon x600 Series/ATI Radeon x2600xt
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 19" Gateway FPD1965
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    2tb WD
    Velociraptor 300GB WD
    40gb
    Mac Pro - 500gb, 2x 320gb, 150gb
It doesn't. NFTS.sys is for the hard disk, as in there's some kind of error with the disk itself. This doesn't mean that the drive is shot however. I got this same error last week while installing Vista. Now are you using a single drive or a RAID?

Also you may want to check to see if one of the mem sticks is bad. Use memtest and run it on one stick at a time in both mem slots. If you get an error on one stick in either slot, it's the stick. If you get it on both sticks in the same slot, it's the slot

My Computer

Well i'm pretty sure it has something to do with my RAM but i only have two DDR slots and two SDRAM slots but i only have 2 DDR memory sticks but i only get blue screens when i have 2 sticks of RAM in but when i only have one stick in i don't get any errors at all. I've also tested each stick in both slots at different times and still no errors but it's only when i have 2 sticks in is when i get errors.

and i'm on an old mobo so i only ave IDE.
i have 3 drives and one USB drive

Master C = 80gb
Music D = 60gb
Local Disk E = 40gb
USB WorkDisk G = 40gb

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D915GUX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 19" Gateway FPD1965
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    2tb WD
    Velociraptor 300GB WD
    40gb
I've never seen a 40GB flash drive.. only a SSD... but whatever :P

Check the S.M.A.R.T status of your harddrives, one of them might be slowly failing.

I also think its the memory, try getting some from another computer (or two) and using it in this system. Provided you have more memory.

Also, sticking DDR1 memory into your motherboard and expecting it to work well in Vista is a little foolish (well not foolish, just can't think of a better word right now. Sorry ). Especially Ultimate. I would suggest upgrading your motherboard and RAM to DDR2. As a last resort of course :P

My Computer

Hmm...the 40GB WorkDisk sounds like it might be more of an external harddrive than a flash drive. If it is, there is a chance it is causing an NTFS error.

That said, NiTaS has a point. There is a very good chance one of your hard-drives failing (drives that small tend to be older, and old drives have an irritating habit of quitting). Run a Check Disk (Open "Computer" from the Start Menu, right click on the drive, click on the "Tools" tab, click "Check Now...") on each drive. I would not be surprised if you found errors on at least one of the volumes (probably C:/).

One of the reasons the things could be related is that the way the HD talks to the RAM is written on the disk. If that sector has errors, that will cause problems.

It might be a good idea to consider a MOBO and RAM upgrade in the future. If you find that your HDDs are going, they will be a higher priority (unless you decide to just go with a whole new system.

Good luck, and let us know if you find out more fixing this or need any more help.

My Computer

yeah. the 40gb WorkDisk is a USB external drive where i store all my program installation files so it's easier to install apps incase i have to reformat.

but i'll try leaving that drive unplugged since it's always plugged in and see if that fixes the problem.

i think that's the only thing left that i can do because i've already tried checkdisk but it didn't find any errors.

and about upgrading
i'm planning on getting a new mobo, RAM, and processor within the week but just wanted to fix this problem before then because this current mobo, RAM and CPU are going into another case.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D915GUX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 19" Gateway FPD1965
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    2tb WD
    Velociraptor 300GB WD
    40gb
I suggest getting a new computer. Especially if you use this computer for important business documents. Sounds like its getting unstable :P (Well, the harddrives anyway)

My Computer

yeah like i said i'm planning on building a new computer but making this computer stable so i have a back up.

but last night i left the workdisk external drive unplugged and put two sticks in and it didn't crash but then again the BSOD aren't consistent but it seems like it helped the problem.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D915GUX
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 19" Gateway FPD1965