• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Overclocker Pushes AMD FX-8150 Processor to 8GHz

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Barring any last minute delays, AMD is expected to finally launch its Bulldozer processor line tomorrow, as was reportedly confirmed by U.S. retailer Micro Center just over a week ago. That's good news for AMD fans. Even better news is the fact that these chips should come with plenty of overclocking headroom, provided you're prepared to push the pedal to the metal.
Read more at:
Maximum PC | Overclocker Pushes AMD FX-8150 Processor to 8GHz

townsbg

~~тσωηsвg~~
Vista Guru
Gold Member
If I remember right I believe it was last year that they where able to push 6 ghz using dry ice. Or was it liquid nitrogen. Either way what they're doing is impractical and dangerous.

nostaw5

"POW" Ur dead
Power User
I agree, 8GHz??? with a huge aftermarket cooler and raised voltages and everything my pc reboots everytime windows 7 loads... is that a windows thing or overclocking thing... 8ghz... is that single core or dual core??? The link would load for me... what cooling did the/she use?

nostaw5

"POW" Ur dead
Power User
Title: Re: Overclocker Pushes AMD FX-8150 Processor to 8GHz

But if it is cores then I have been corrected...

Ok I seem to be stable at 3.8GHz and Memory bumped up to 1333Mhz and PCIe Link width at 120 -100 being normal

townsbg

~~тσωηsвg~~
Vista Guru
Gold Member
As you might expect, this wasn't done on air and required some serious cooling. HiCookie used LN2 to cool his chip to a chilly -192C, and it's also worth mentioning that he was only pushing two of the eight cores. Those two disclaimers will undoubtedly temper some excitement, at least until we can see what this thing can do in a typical home setup.
Did you read this?

Patonb

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Nope, cause i dont care about BD. And seen the real world results, hopefully 8 will give it some use...

I was also talking bout the chip in geneal, as I thought nos was commenting/asking about the chip in general.

nostaw5

"POW" Ur dead
Power User
Yep i was talking of the chip in general. What i dont understand is why only the 2 out of 8 cores??? Imagine 8GHz per core and doing heavy multithreaded programs with that INCL. Multithreded games!

nostaw5 5watson (5 members in my family, last name is Watson!)

also why did he put the temps into the minus 100's??? probably unnecessary.

townsbg

~~тσωηsвg~~
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Well considering they are only designed to run at 2 point something ghz I can see going to extremes to prevent the chip from frying. That might also explain why they could only do 2 of the cores. Remember this is all still experimental.

Patonb

Vista Guru
Gold Member
Yep i was talking of the chip in general. What i dont understand is why only the 2 out of 8 cores??? Imagine 8GHz per core and doing heavy multithreaded programs with that INCL. Multithreded games!

nostaw5 5watson (5 members in my family, last name is Watson!)

also why did he put the temps into the minus 100's??? probably unnecessary.
He went 2 cores, because less core = easier overclocking. Its less of a stress on the chip, and the board.

Also, due to the chip design, it has to run in pairs.

The temp is due to 2 things as well, very cold conducts a whole lot better, s its more efficient.
Also as its a small mass, the heat from the voltage needed will quickly heat it up and the extreme cold keeps it down.