• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Parental Controls and Search Engines

M

momincolorado

#1
How can I prevent my 6 year old from searching for inappropriate words (e.g.,
curse words, etc.), while still using the search engine (e.g., google) for
other benign purposes? I know that in google.com there is a SafeSearch option
under global preferences, but it isn't locked and can be changed while in his
parentally controlled profile, which has google.com as a website he can
access. Note: I know this is a capability within Apples, and it automatically
restricts searches on curse words, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 

My Computer

M

Mark L. Ferguson

#2
Apple does it by offering a less powerful search. Searching the search would
stop the search, because you would be in an endless loop. The activity
report is the only real control.
To lead anyone, in the words of Sun Tzu, is to understand the goal,
communicate that, and insist on your will.
--
Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#RateAPostAsAnswer
Mark L. Ferguson
..

"momincolorado" <momincolorado@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:14762AF7-DBFC-41AE-8787-B19121B52E1B@xxxxxx

> How can I prevent my 6 year old from searching for inappropriate words
> (e.g.,
> curse words, etc.), while still using the search engine (e.g., google) for
> other benign purposes? I know that in google.com there is a SafeSearch
> option
> under global preferences, but it isn't locked and can be changed while in
> his
> parentally controlled profile, which has google.com as a website he can
> access. Note: I know this is a capability within Apples, and it
> automatically
> restricts searches on curse words, etc.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
 

My Computer

M

momincolorado

#3
thanks for the response.

the problem with the activity report is that this is after the fact. he's
already seen the stuff i don't want him to see by the time i review this.
anything i can do that's a little more pro-active instead of reactive?

thanks again for any help.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> Apple does it by offering a less powerful search. Searching the search would
> stop the search, because you would be in an endless loop. The activity
> report is the only real control.
> To lead anyone, in the words of Sun Tzu, is to understand the goal,
> communicate that, and insist on your will.
> --
> Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
> interface.
> http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales/help/help_en-us.htm#RateAPostAsAnswer
> Mark L. Ferguson
> .
>
> "momincolorado" <momincolorado@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:14762AF7-DBFC-41AE-8787-B19121B52E1B@xxxxxx

> > How can I prevent my 6 year old from searching for inappropriate words
> > (e.g.,
> > curse words, etc.), while still using the search engine (e.g., google) for
> > other benign purposes? I know that in google.com there is a SafeSearch
> > option
> > under global preferences, but it isn't locked and can be changed while in
> > his
> > parentally controlled profile, which has google.com as a website he can
> > access. Note: I know this is a capability within Apples, and it
> > automatically
> > restricts searches on curse words, etc.
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
>
 

My Computer

M

Malke

#4
momincolorado wrote:

> thanks for the response.
>
> the problem with the activity report is that this is after the fact. he's
> already seen the stuff i don't want him to see by the time i review this.
> anything i can do that's a little more pro-active instead of reactive?
A really basic and free way is to use the Naomi web filter. By "basic", I
mean that Naomi is not being developed further and it is not configurable
as you will see if you read the information on its website. It's still a
very good product, though. Basically if the searcher puts in a naughty word
or goes to a website with naughty words, the browser will simply shut down.
It works with IE and Firefox.

http://www.radiance.m6.net/

After Naomi is installed it will ask you to choose a password for
administrative access. You will need to enter this password to turn Naomi
off and also to uninstall it. DO NOT LOSE THIS PASSWORD. There is no
backdoor if you do.

My tech colleague and I use Naomi in his elementary school's laptop program
and for cllients who request a simple web filter. It works well with the
restrictions I mentioned.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Don't Panic!
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)