• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Permission Denied when accessing pictures on backup hard drive

R

Ross820

#1
My old computer (XP) died, and the new one has Vista Home Premium. When I
connect my old, external hard drive that I always used as just a backup to
view/copy all my pictures (from my Nikon camera), I keep getting a message
that says I do not have permission to acces those files. Help.....my wife's
family pictures are in there somewhere!

Thanks.

Steve
 

My Computer

B

Brent Carter

#2
You need to boot off cd like Bart PE to get those files.


On 2/9/08 5:06 PM, in article
7F152068-5AC8-4917-83D5-981E03C1BEED@xxxxxx, "Ross820"
<Ross820@xxxxxx> wrote:

> My old computer (XP) died, and the new one has Vista Home Premium. When I
> connect my old, external hard drive that I always used as just a backup to
> view/copy all my pictures (from my Nikon camera), I keep getting a message
> that says I do not have permission to acces those files. Help.....my wife's
> family pictures are in there somewhere!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
 

My Computer

R

Ronnie Vernon MVP

#3
Ross

You simply need to take ownership of those files and folders. See the
following website for the step by step procedure.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"Ross820" <Ross820@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:7F152068-5AC8-4917-83D5-981E03C1BEED@xxxxxx

> My old computer (XP) died, and the new one has Vista Home Premium. When I
> connect my old, external hard drive that I always used as just a backup to
> view/copy all my pictures (from my Nikon camera), I keep getting a message
> that says I do not have permission to acces those files. Help.....my
> wife's
> family pictures are in there somewhere!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
 

My Computer

R

Ross820

#4
Re: Permission Denied when accessing pictures on backup hard driv

Since I'm not very good at the technical stuff, and this soiunds like a Vista
vs XP issue, could I simply plug the backup drive into my XP machine at work
and transfer the files to a flash drive there and take them back home and
copy them over that way? (The pictures were originally stored on the backup
as part of an entire C-Drive backup, so they are in C:/My Documents/My
Prictures etc. on that drive.)

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Ross
>
> You simply need to take ownership of those files and folders. See the
> following website for the step by step procedure.
>
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "Ross820" <Ross820@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:7F152068-5AC8-4917-83D5-981E03C1BEED@xxxxxx

> > My old computer (XP) died, and the new one has Vista Home Premium. When I
> > connect my old, external hard drive that I always used as just a backup to
> > view/copy all my pictures (from my Nikon camera), I keep getting a message
> > that says I do not have permission to acces those files. Help.....my
> > wife's
> > family pictures are in there somewhere!
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Steve
>
 

My Computer

R

Ronnie Vernon MVP

#5
Re: Permission Denied when accessing pictures on backup hard driv

Ross

The media you use to transfer the files isn't the problem. The problem is
that the ownership of those files/folders belongs to the user account on the
XP system.

If the ownership procedure seems to difficult, Shawn has a much simpler way
to do this. Go to this webpage:

Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums:
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/112795-context-menu-take-ownership.html

There is a file there that you can install that will add the Take Ownership
item to the right click menu. Read that webpage, download and install the
file.

Connect the drive with the files you want to transfer. Right click one of
the folders on that drive and select the Take Ownership menu item. The
procedure will run, automatically and give your user account ownership to
that folder and all of the files in that folder. When it is finished, you
should be able to select the files and then move them to the folders in
Vista.

I would recommend placing the files in folders you create under the
C:\Users\Public folder. This way the files will be available to all users on
the computer. Move the files only, not the folders.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience


"Ross820" <Ross820@xxxxxx> wrote in message
news:D32AACB4-0881-4297-B47A-3B87D8BF1175@xxxxxx

> Since I'm not very good at the technical stuff, and this soiunds like a
> Vista
> vs XP issue, could I simply plug the backup drive into my XP machine at
> work
> and transfer the files to a flash drive there and take them back home and
> copy them over that way? (The pictures were originally stored on the
> backup
> as part of an entire C-Drive backup, so they are in C:/My Documents/My
> Prictures etc. on that drive.)
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>

>> Ross
>>
>> You simply need to take ownership of those files and folders. See the
>> following website for the step by step procedure.
>>
>> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Desktop Experience
>>
>>
>> "Ross820" <Ross820@xxxxxx> wrote in message
>> news:7F152068-5AC8-4917-83D5-981E03C1BEED@xxxxxx

>> > My old computer (XP) died, and the new one has Vista Home Premium.
>> > When I
>> > connect my old, external hard drive that I always used as just a backup
>> > to
>> > view/copy all my pictures (from my Nikon camera), I keep getting a
>> > message
>> > that says I do not have permission to acces those files. Help.....my
>> > wife's
>> > family pictures are in there somewhere!
>> >
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Steve
>>
 

My Computer

B

BirgerH

#6
Re: Permission Denied when accessing pictures on backup hard driv

No, the media is the problem...
I tried to copy from my notebook (Windows XP) pictures with ownership from
there to an USB-key.
On the USB-key, there were no security-settings to the files, and copied to
the Desktop (Windows Vista), they took over the ownership from the folder,
they were copied to.
Still - its much eysier to take over the ownership - and then you got a
media...

--
BirgerH


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Ross
>
> The media you use to transfer the files isn't the problem. The problem is
> that the ownership of those files/folders belongs to the user account on the
> XP system.
>
> If the ownership procedure seems to difficult, Shawn has a much simpler way
> to do this. Go to this webpage:
>
> Context Menu - Take Ownership - Vista Forums:
> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/112795-context-menu-take-ownership.html
>
> There is a file there that you can install that will add the Take Ownership
> item to the right click menu. Read that webpage, download and install the
> file.
>
> Connect the drive with the files you want to transfer. Right click one of
> the folders on that drive and select the Take Ownership menu item. The
> procedure will run, automatically and give your user account ownership to
> that folder and all of the files in that folder. When it is finished, you
> should be able to select the files and then move them to the folders in
> Vista.
>
> I would recommend placing the files in folders you create under the
> C:\Users\Public folder. This way the files will be available to all users on
> the computer. Move the files only, not the folders.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience
>
>
> "Ross820" <Ross820@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> news:D32AACB4-0881-4297-B47A-3B87D8BF1175@xxxxxx

> > Since I'm not very good at the technical stuff, and this soiunds like a
> > Vista
> > vs XP issue, could I simply plug the backup drive into my XP machine at
> > work
> > and transfer the files to a flash drive there and take them back home and
> > copy them over that way? (The pictures were originally stored on the
> > backup
> > as part of an entire C-Drive backup, so they are in C:/My Documents/My
> > Prictures etc. on that drive.)
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >

> >> Ross
> >>
> >> You simply need to take ownership of those files and folders. See the
> >> following website for the step by step procedure.
> >>
> >> http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Ronnie Vernon
> >> Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows Desktop Experience
> >>
> >>
> >> "Ross820" <Ross820@xxxxxx> wrote in message
> >> news:7F152068-5AC8-4917-83D5-981E03C1BEED@xxxxxx
> >> > My old computer (XP) died, and the new one has Vista Home Premium.
> >> > When I
> >> > connect my old, external hard drive that I always used as just a backup
> >> > to
> >> > view/copy all my pictures (from my Nikon camera), I keep getting a
> >> > message
> >> > that says I do not have permission to acces those files. Help.....my
> >> > wife's
> >> > family pictures are in there somewhere!
> >> >
> >> > Thanks.
> >> >
> >> > Steve
> >>
>
 

My Computer

dallaird

New Member
Messages
1
#7
I'm having the same problem as Ross. Pics are on a Seagate Free Agent drive. I've tried a number of times to Take Ownership, and everything seems to run appropriately. But when I try to either view the pics from that drive or move them to my hard drive I still get permission error. Any ideas how to access the pics? Thanks.
 

My Computer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)